Nano CO2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nano CO2

I don't have access to a CO2 refill place, so I'm going down the nano CO2 kit route.

The easiest cartridge size to find is 20g, but I'm curious. If I decide on a system that uses 45g or 80g cartridges, can I use a 20g cartridge as a refill?

Would that have any effect on pressure or performance, or would it just run out faster?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 11:50 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
It would just run out faster.

Though a caveat is that systems that use small CO2 cartridges tend to have proprietary fittings and are significantly more expensive per unit of CO2.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the help.

Yeah, the cost for the nano kit and refills end up more expensive, but the expenses for a real setup are higher right now. (20+ minute Lyft hoping that an employee can refill a tank, then 20 minutes back adds up faster than Amazon/evilbay orders. For now. I'll be back asking some stupid question, I'm sure, when a full setup is more realistic.)

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 01:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

How big is the "Nano" your putting it on? Sometimes it's just not worth it to run one of those refillable systems. There are refills not branded for aquarium use that are usually less expensive (in case you weren't aware.)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The tank? It's 10 gallons and I'm starting to branch out into more demanding plants.

Yeah, I'm looking at 20g and 16g cartridges for bike tires because they're so much cheaper than the branded refills.

I have been running a Fluval 20g nano CO2 kit since mid-May and have been really pleased with the growth. It's the same one livebearerlove had another thread around, and I like it. Except, I'm thinking I want to upgrade a little more from the plastic dispenser to a Fluval 45g or Fluval 88g because the diffusers are smaller and it doesn't seem likely that I'll get similar results if I force the 20g thru a diffuser. I might end up trying it anyway.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode