Co2 Diffusion options? - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes
  • 4 Post By EdWiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Co2 Diffusion options?

Hello all! First post here. I have finally started getting into pressurized co2 for my 75 gallon tank.I have purchased my system from green leaf aquariums and now I am looking at my diffuser options. I am not really on a budget and just want something that is efficient and is reliable.i have two aquaclear hob 110s running and therefore inline diffusers are not an option for me. I've also heard mixed results running the line directly into the intake tube. I dont want to ruin the filters or my bacteria colony if that is actually what could happen. I was thinking of using the Hagan mini elite option and running it below the output of one of the filters but not sure if that would spread the bubbles enough across the tank? Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 03:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

I used those diffusers and would blow the lines off them at 3 bubbles per second or so... You'll likely need larger diffusers to run a 75 gal...

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 03:57 PM
Planted Member

Aquario Neo CO2 Diffuser L
https://www.amazon.com/Aquario-Neo-C...gateway&sr=8-5

Makes great diffusers.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 04:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWiser View Post

Makes great diffusers.
Before I started using a reactor I was using this diffuse. It worked great and was super easy to clean. Really small bubbles, almost mist like.

|

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 04:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I used a large 2"' diffuser on my 4-ft tank for years like this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Diffuser-U-Sh...44H9HJW0R&th=1

Placed it low and under the return. Worked very well. I haven't used the ones that @EdWiser posted.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 09:58 AM
Planted Member

Quote:

Makes great diffusers.

I'm using a large Aq neo diffuser on my 118G. It creates the finest mist and with decent flow gets to every area of my tank. The problem for me, personally, is that I'm not a fan of the sprite/lemonade look. If that sprite look doesn't bother you then I'd highly recommend this diffuser.

I'm looking for an inline diffuser for 16/22mm that doesn't require a specific/high pressure as my co2 regulator isn't pressure adjustable.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 02:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonlights150 View Post
Hello all! First post here. I have finally started getting into pressurized co2 for my 75 gallon tank.I have purchased my system from green leaf aquariums and now I am looking at my diffuser options. I am not really on a budget and just want something that is efficient and is reliable.i have two aquaclear hob 110s running and therefore inline diffusers are not an option for me. I've also heard mixed results running the line directly into the intake tube. I dont want to ruin the filters or my bacteria colony if that is actually what could happen. I was thinking of using the Hagan mini elite option and running it below the output of one of the filters but not sure if that would spread the bubbles enough across the tank? Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Not something I've tried but some general thoughts, perhaps?
I think running the CO2 into the intake on HOB will be a different situation than we might find on doing it with a canister. In the canister, I find we may form a bubble of CO2 at the top around the impeller and could run the risk of running it dry to ruin/damage the impeller. But in HOB, I see little chance of this as the impeller is set at the bottom and any large bubble will go up and away, so I would not worry that point.
The bacteria idea seems a bit overworked as it would be my guess that the bacteria would only die if deprived of O2 for a long period and adding CO2 does not remove O2, just change the percentages. I see bacteria being much the same as humans in this area. CO2 is not a poison (NOT CO!) but we do suffer if the CO2 gets so strong that we don't get enough O2 and that is really hard to do in a tank that is open at the top and water moving all around to do the gas exchange. I might think the larger question to be one of how much that gas exchange would lose more CO2 but not enough expense for me to worry the issue as gas is super cheap. Buying the equipment is the big bite!
I tried to test how CO2 moved around a ten, twenty, and seventy five and was not able to pick up any reliable difference in the PH, using a modified PH pen to take readings. There may have been differences that I could not pick up but then I came around to thinking that any differences in the ESTIMATED ideal of 30 PPM was not really something for me to work too hard to make exact. Exact estimates are no longer part of my worry stream!
As I see no danger in this, I might try a simple setup of just fitting a tube into the intake, adding a tee in the CO2 line to go to the second also seems reasonable. If the intake has a strainer, perhaps just mashing the tube in the slots to hold would give a chance to see how it works?
I'm into watch, learn and adapt as needed, certainly if it tends to save me time, money, and thinking too hard!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 08:55 PM
Planted Member

The only problem I found with inline where I donít see a mist. Is that one time my Co2 ran out and I didnít realize it for a week. This cause a hair algae situation to start. Which I was able to fix after replacing the Co2 and dosing with hydrogen peroxide. Just a reminder that with a in-line you need to look at your gauges. Other wise you might run out of Co2
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 09:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
The only problem I found with inline where I donít see a mist. Is that one time my Co2 ran out and I didnít realize it for a week. This cause a hair algae situation to start. Which I was able to fix after replacing the Co2 and dosing with hydrogen peroxide. Just a reminder that with a in-line you need to look at your gauges. Other wise you might run out of Co2
This is true and I certainly do not argue with the point about checking the gauges, however, I also might mention a point that is easy to overlook when we first start with compressed gas like CO2.
The gauges are not the same as gas gauges in a car and do not indicate that we are using gas, until ALL the liquid portion is gone and then they begin to move. They indicate the remaining PRESSuRE, not the amount left, so we may watch a meter for weeks/ months and see no movement because it is only using the liquid and as more gas is changing from liquid to gas and that leaves the meter reading very much the same. Once the liquid is gone is when we really need to check the meters and depending on the CO2 tank size and how quickly we are using the gas, we may have a month, a week or maybe only a day or so, before we run out!
Don't let yourself be tricked into thinking you've used a tank for several months and the gauge hasn't even moved, so you can go another six months for sure!
Small changes with tank temperature will show up but once the gauge begins to go down steadily, that is a sign that you are beginning to get low. Headsup time!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 10:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

DIY option now working like a champ for nearly a year:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/9...ew-design.html
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 01:57 PM
Planted Member

Another option is to either buy or DIY an in-tank powerhead reactor.
This method will achieve good dissolution rates and you should be able to hide it the back out of sight
I'd get/make something decently sized since its for a 75, your BPS will need to be generous for good CO2 levels

Example
http://www.aquaticquotient.com/galle...fusor_pump.jpg

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode