What canister filters are recommended for a 86 gal heavily planted tank? - The Planted Tank Forum
 6Likes
  • 2 Post By Quagulator
  • 1 Post By Immortal1
  • 2 Post By mboley
  • 1 Post By Hymanes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
What canister filters are recommended for a 86 gal heavily planted tank?

Hi!
Back to the hobby after 2 years, wanted to upgrade my filter.
Currently I'm running a very crappy filter that I made myself in a bucket with ceramic rings, some bioballs and a filter pad.
I was looking to buy a canister filter within the $100 range.
Any suggestions?

I was thinking of the sunsun hw 304a, sunsun hw 304b, or the sunsun hw 302. I've heard these are the cheapest and the best bang for the buck.

Also, I think all of the above are fit for upto 75 gal, I know this is stupid to ask but will they be ok for me?, as I either see 75gal, too less, or 100gal, too much.
My tank is a 86 gal with dani sonis, tetras, zebra fish, and mollies. It is not heavily planted as of now, but I will order a lot of plants soon.

Thanks!

Shashwat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 11:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hymanes View Post
Hi!
Back to the hobby after 2 years, wanted to upgrade my filter.
Currently I'm running a very crappy filter that I made myself in a bucket with ceramic rings, some bioballs and a filter pad.
I was looking to buy a canister filter within the $100 range.
Any suggestions?

I was thinking of the sunsun hw 304a, sunsun hw 304b, or the sunsun hw 302. I've heard these are the cheapest and the best bang for the buck.

Also, I think all of the above are fit for upto 75 gal, I know this is stupid to ask but will they be ok for me?, as I either see 75gal, too less, or 100gal, too much.
My tank is a 86 gal with dani sonis, tetras, zebra fish, and mollies. It is not heavily planted as of now, but I will order a lot of plants soon.

Thanks!
You'll want 2 rated for 75 - 100 gallons each. Especially if plants are involved (they block flow and contribute to overall tank livestock load - floating leaves / stems etc.)
Greggz and Discusluv like this.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 02:09 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
FWIW, I have a 75g heavily planted tank with a bunch of Rainbow fish. A single Eheim Pro4+ Model 350 would last about 1 week before I had to clean it. I am now using a single AquaTOP CF500 (basically the same as the SunSun 304 I believe). This filter will get me 3 good weeks before cleaning. Given your stated bio load, a single 304 may work - really depends on how often you want to clean it. A pair of them would be even better assuming you alternate which filter you clean.
Greggz likes this.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
FWIW, I have a 75g heavily planted tank with a bunch of Rainbow fish. A single Eheim Pro4+ Model 350 would last about 1 week before I had to clean it. I am now using a single AquaTOP CF500 (basically the same as the SunSun 304 I believe). This filter will get me 3 good weeks before cleaning. Given your stated bio load, a single 304 may work - really depends on how often you want to clean it. A pair of them would be even better assuming you alternate which filter you clean.
Ok, that's useful info! thanks!
I think I can manage a cleaning every two weeks, so I think the sunsun 304 will work... I try to make sure that there are no loose leaves and stems floating about, so I think a frequency of a clean every two weeks will suffice.
But just to make sure that I have all options under my scanner, how well do sumps do in a planted tank? Maybe something with a fluidized media compartment?
I can fashion one out of a big plastic tub and something like thick plastic to work as the baffles......it will cost me a lot less, and if it is better, and only requires an initial building time and some regular maintenance, will that not be better?
I have the space for it.

Thanks for the help!

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post
You'll want 2 rated for 75 - 100 gallons each. Especially if plants are involved (they block flow and contribute to overall tank livestock load - floating leaves / stems etc.)
ok, but that is double my budget!, how about a sump?

(please read reply to immortal1's suggestions)
Thanks!

Shashwat
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 02:44 PM
Algae Grower

Go with a sump. You can then add as much filtration as you need. You could have one custom made for the price youll pay for 2 large cannisters.Plus you'll add water volume to your system
Immortal1 and plecoholic like this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have a Sun SUn 302 and it won't do a 75 gal tank . Two might , but still iffy . I would go with a sump if you can .

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:25 PM
Algae Grower

2 304's would be a good choice for your tank size.

Instagram Account: @KeeperOfASilentWorld
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeeperOfASilentWorld View Post
2 304's would be a good choice for your tank size.
Hey!
So I just ordered a single sunsun302, and if that doesn't do it I will order one more.
Thanks everyone for the help!
Immortal1 likes this.

Shashwat
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 12:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

2 filters to keep an eye on.

Eheim 2217
Oase Model 350 and 600.

Oase (German origin) just hit the states in recent times as they are known well in Europe.

We like using the modified version of the Eheim 2217 canister.
Model 2217 is basically the 2nd largest Eheim aquarium canister. The next size up is a 5 gallon bucket size Ehiem canister.
The 2217 filter is a great choice with a German background which usually means the opposite of China as for desired quality standards.
A few quick modifications patch up some weak links or ways for water to get out that is typically discussed in reviews or forum threads.

I removed the Eheim 2217 cover, bypassed the hidden O-ring, and just used the direct output on the 2217 canister.
1 point of future leaking is reduced as well as the hollow sound helped by the fancy "motor cover".
I used to have have to set a bean bag on the top to mute the sound from the motor under the canister's cover.
Next, I will seal/glue the Eheim 2217 model 90 degree canister body intake tube that can to leak through the decades of service.
Seal all weak links. There shouldn't be any major reasons not to in my opinion.

We can always hide a slightly coarse foam prefilter on the canister's intake that is "in position" for easy slip-fit removal.
Tugging and twisting tight intake sponges in the tank can be a burden and leads to mess or frustration.

This foam on the intake pipe will allow us to keep that seal on the canister sealed a little longer.
-opening it up less times per year, by just tending to a pre filter intake sponge.

A spraybar aiming at the glass displaces the jets to softly calm the high flow. No plants to get pushed over.
Plants are happy.

In the mail is a New Oase 600 model filter.
The prefilter cartridge in the canister is pretty neat as for the concept.
-time will tell.

This is supposedly a German product as well.
They just keep coming to the top when it comes to final purchase decisions on products.

I did avoid the heated "thermo" model.
The glass needs to cool before sitting still in a choked water tube.
I think people either bump or abuse the heater design.
By using a digital Inkbird brand controller and titanium heater with a black guard, I can say I am pleased with a small black stick-heater hiding without issue.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDCpump View Post
2 filters to keep an eye on.

Eheim 2217
Oase Model 350 and 600.

Oase (German origin) just hit the states in recent times as they are known well in Europe.

We like using the modified version of the Eheim 2217 canister.
Model 2217 is basically the 2nd largest Eheim aquarium canister. The next size up is a 5 gallon bucket size Ehiem canister.
The 2217 filter is a great choice with a German background which usually means the opposite of China as for desired quality standards.
A few quick modifications patch up some weak links or ways for water to get out that is typically discussed in reviews or forum threads.

I removed the Eheim 2217 cover, bypassed the hidden O-ring, and just used the direct output on the 2217 canister.
1 point of future leaking is reduced as well as the hollow sound helped by the fancy "motor cover".
I used to have have to set a bean bag on the top to mute the sound from the motor under the canister's cover.
Next, I will seal/glue the Eheim 2217 model 90 degree canister body intake tube that can to leak through the decades of service.
Seal all weak links. There shouldn't be any major reasons not to in my opinion.

We can always hide a slightly coarse foam prefilter on the canister's intake that is "in position" for easy slip-fit removal.
Tugging and twisting tight intake sponges in the tank can be a burden and leads to mess or frustration.

This foam on the intake pipe will allow us to keep that seal on the canister sealed a little longer.
-opening it up less times per year, by just tending to a pre filter intake sponge.

A spraybar aiming at the glass displaces the jets to softly calm the high flow. No plants to get pushed over.
Plants are happy.

In the mail is a New Oase 600 model filter.
The prefilter cartridge in the canister is pretty neat as for the concept.
-time will tell.

This is supposedly a German product as well.
They just keep coming to the top when it comes to final purchase decisions on products.

I did avoid the heated "thermo" model.
The glass needs to cool before sitting still in a choked water tube.
I think people either bump or abuse the heater design.
By using a digital Inkbird brand controller and titanium heater with a black guard, I can say I am pleased with a small black stick-heater hiding without issue.

Hi!
I am just a broke college student, so 2*$240 filters are way out of the budget(I'm sure we have all been there).
Plus, I looked up the filters you suggested.
Rave reviews about them, but we don't have them in India, apparently. Even IF I buy one, I'll have to import it from some other country, and for a canister filter I think that's too much trouble😬
Thanks for the input though!

Shashwat

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode