Cleaning R Shaped Lilly Pipes - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cleaning R Shaped Lilly Pipes

I have some R Shaped glass pipes. My questions are, how do I clean around that top bend. I have double spring brush that has no problem with the larger 16mm pipes but the bend on the R shape is too tight. ADA has some brushes that may do the job but look at the price.

If anyone has these glass pipes tell me how you clean them.

Robert...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	R-Pipe.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	881889  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 10:56 PM
Planted Member

I use the ada brushes on a metal springy bendy pole. Does a great job unless there is sticky green spot algae in them it needs a bleach soak if so.

I also have a less flexible pipe cleaner but it doesnt bend or work as well.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 12:32 AM
Planted Member

Cleaning R Shaped Lilly Pipes

I use the ADA brushes they are to me not expensive especially when cleaning glass Lilly pipes.

This type of Lilly pipe is called a spin Lilly pipe.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 11:26 PM
Planted Member

You could probably make something serviceable with not much effort. Bit of heavy string with some fishing sinkers on one end and some bits of scotchbrite pads on the other should work.

Just feed the fishing sinkers through the tube from both directions once or twice, and pull the sucker through when the end comes out.

I have MTS
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi
Thanks for the suggestions. In the UK ADA brushes retail at about 25 each. Ones I use for the normal glassware about 4 from Amazon.
Robert...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 11:28 PM
Planted Member

Lilly pipes are not normal glass wear.
Easy to break if you force clean them. I have all three sizes for cleaning hoses and Lilly pipes.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 04:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
If it's high quality glassware, you can go the H2O2/bleach route as well. Basically, connect tubing to it, then to a little pump, submerse it in a bucket of H2O2 or bleach solution and let it run for a while. Bleach will eventually wear down the pump, so I'd recommend H2O2 unless your have a junk pump you don't like
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by natemcnutty View Post
If it's high quality glassware, you can go the H2O2/bleach route as well. Basically, connect tubing to it, then to a little pump, submerse it in a bucket of H2O2 or bleach solution and let it run for a while. Bleach will eventually wear down the pump, so I'd recommend H2O2 unless your have a junk pump you don't like
Thanks for your reply. I have used bleach but it needs some sort of abrasion but then I have only left it for no more than 30 minutes. Never thought of using a pump before. The other tip that may work that I got from YouTube on the bottom of the intakae pipe that brushes ate hard to reach, is to put a few grains of fine gravel in the tube and shake it about. It certainly works. I was thinking this would probably work in my R pipes.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 05:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert42 View Post
Thanks for your reply. I have used bleach but it needs some sort of abrasion but then I have only left it for no more than 30 minutes. Never thought of using a pump before. The other tip that may work that I got from YouTube on the bottom of the intakae pipe that brushes ate hard to reach, is to put a few grains of fine gravel in the tube and shake it about. It certainly works. I was thinking this would probably work in my R pipes.
Gravel would scratch up your glass. I've had brushes scratch my lily pipes which is why I bleach them now.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by natemcnutty View Post
Gravel would scratch up your glass. I've had brushes scratch my lily pipes which is why I bleach them now.
Thanks for the tip. The pies I have on my big tank are about 2 years old and I just use a pip brush from Amazon. The small pipes are new and they are the ones need to worry about. I have cleaned them with a brush and left a dirty patch at the top.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 05:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

you could put the glass on a metal try and put it in the oven and set to oven to its cleaning temperature. Ay organics will gradually be burned off. Might take several clean cycles in the oven to get all the carbon off. Then put it in bleach or vinegar to dissolve any minerals left behind.

I don't have anything that delicate but I had a nice narrow mouthed bottle that had olive oil in it. I could nt remove the oil with soap and water and and I couldn't reach any inside corners with a brush. It took about 3 or 4 clean cycles in the oven to completely burn off the oil on the inside. End result was a bottle that looked new and unused.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf View Post
you could put the glass on a metal try and put it in the oven and set to oven to its cleaning temperature. Ay organics will gradually be burned off. Might take several clean cycles in the oven to get all the carbon off. Then put it in bleach or vinegar to dissolve any minerals left behind.

I don't have anything that delicate but I had a nice narrow mouthed bottle that had olive oil in it. I could nt remove the oil with soap and water and and I couldn't reach any inside corners with a brush. It took about 3 or 4 clean cycles in the oven to completely burn off the oil on the inside. End result was a bottle that looked new and unused.
Thanks but I think this is a bit of an overkill.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode