1 Month without maintenance - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
1 Month without maintenance

I'll be leaving for a month and running a high tech 75g. How would I go about lowering light/co2 so I don't come back to an algae farm? Everything is on a timer so only thing that will change is no micros will be dosed every few days and no water change. Any advice is appreciated, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 12:15 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

No micros, your plants will stall, algae will then have upper hand.

Dosing pump on a timer is your best friend. Do you have anybody coming over to do top off?

Getting a dosing pump, setting it up to do daily dosing/top off, setting it on a 10gal storage tote full of premixed solution with small pump to keep it stirred and setting this all up/setting light/co2 levels balancing it in and running properly for at least two weeks before you leave is best way.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have someone to feed the fish and the cat, that's about the only help I'll be getting. I'll be meeting with the algae then... Thanks, Ill look into a pump.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 07:51 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor95 View Post
I have someone to feed the fish and the cat, that's about the only help I'll be getting. I'll be meeting with the algae then... Thanks, Ill look into a pump.
If you’ve got to someone coming by it shouldn’t be to hard to train them to do top off with a premix nutrient/water mix you have ready to go for them to use. Just get a bunch of gallon jugs and mix it up for them to use. May not be perfect dosing but better than nothing. Think pretty much anyone can be trained to pour water in a tank.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 11:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Everything @DaveKS said and in case it wasn't the obvious route, I'd reduce lighting period but leave co2 alone.

No water changes may get rough. How have u been dosing in the past? You may have to recalculate your dosing to accommodate this too. Are you planning on front loading your macros?

Also. Stressing the try it for a couple weeks part if you have the ability to. Otherwise, fingers crossed for a mere algae "intrusion"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

The macros are frontloaded for the most part as is. NO3/PO4 is a bit out of control, Ca/Mg is fine, I'll just have to front load some K. I'll see what I can do, never left for so long before, thanks guys.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode