• 1 Post By PlantedRich
  • 1 Post By varanidguy
  • 1 Post By PlantedRich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
UP pH controller?

I was doing a search for pH controllers and came across this gadget, the UP pH 2-in-1. Does anyone know anything about it? Does it work well?

https://smile.amazon.com/Controller-...gateway&sr=8-1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 03:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Not much action and maybe not too many users?
So maybe I can throw some guesses, until things get more attention!
I've used the Milwaukee PH controller and some things would seem to be related. One of the first things to know is that my set has been very solid with one point that seems to need more attention that the rest. The probes are a very thin glass item and it does take some care but it is also true that I have found a number of different probes from difference sources and they all seem to work the same, so I worry less about the probes quality. Not a good thing to have to replace but not like a total loss if it goes bad.
Then for the guess? I might guess that this item would be as reliable as the next, but that is pure guess with no experience to back it up!
So my big questions that I can't actually see are related more to the physical layout on the electrical plugs. The design with the output built in the main box is better than what I had on the Milwaukee and seems to be just a matter of layout planning. Good point there, but ONLY if it is the standard plug that our cords will fit and I can't actually see what they use. US style or other? Big point to question!
Directions are almost sure to be difficult to figure if the ad is an example? Not a great deal to figure when I looked at other ads but still may add some confusion factor on getting it going. Small irritation, perhaps....
Good luck on getting better info.
Anybody out there that knows more? Great Price!!!
varanidguy likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 02:35 AM
Wannabe Guru

This is nothing more than a PH probe that can be connect to the solenoid of a CO2 system. If the PH is too high it turns on the CO2. Once the water is at the designed PH the CO2 is turned off. This is Chinese product and the word UP may simply be a translation error. The two bottles shown in the pictures are PH buffers used to calibrate the PH probe. The description of the device appears to be a partial poor translation of the instructions.

I would avoid this product because you may not be able to figure out the instructions.

Bump: This is nothing more than a PH probe that can be connect to the solenoid of a CO2 system. If the PH is too high it turns on the CO2. Once the water is at the designed PH the CO2 is turned off. This is Chinese product and the word UP may simply be a translation error. The two bottles shown in the pictures are PH buffers used to calibrate the PH probe. The description of the device appears to be a partial poor translation of the instructions.

I would avoid this product because you may not be able to figure out the instructions.

Bump: This is nothing more than a PH probe that can be connect to the solenoid of a CO2 system. If the PH is too high it turns on the CO2. Once the water is at the designed PH the CO2 is turned off. This is Chinese product and the word UP may simply be a translation error. The two bottles shown in the pictures are PH buffers used to calibrate the PH probe. The description of the device appears to be a partial poor translation of the instructions.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf View Post
This is nothing more than a PH probe that can be connect to the solenoid of a CO2 system. If the PH is too high it turns on the CO2. Once the water is at the designed PH the CO2 is turned off. This is Chinese product and the word UP may simply be a translation error. The two bottles shown in the pictures are PH buffers used to calibrate the PH probe. The description of the device appears to be a partial poor translation of the instructions.

I'm confident it's an UP Aqua product, I was able to find it on their web site. So it is a Chinese product, likely with broken English instructions. A big question for me is if it actually works well, though. I mean, a gadget like this shouldn't be too hard to figure out, so long as it's accurate and works properly, $60 for a pH controller is pretty good.
PlantedRich likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 12:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
I'm confident it's an UP Aqua product, I was able to find it on their web site. So it is a Chinese product, likely with broken English instructions. A big question for me is if it actually works well, though. I mean, a gadget like this shouldn't be too hard to figure out, so long as it's accurate and works properly, $60 for a pH controller is pretty good.
Agree with this thinking as figuring the instructions is kind of funny in an odd way if we know what it is they are trying to get across. And for help on that point, I found another site which did much better at the ad as they did go into how to do the calibration, which is really about all we need to get on how to use it. I had somewhat advantage on understanding the directions due to using the Milwaukee which is very much the same, except for physical difference.
Perhaps a brief rundown on what the instructions SHOULD say?
Calibrate it before using! To do that, connect the probe and put it in the 4.0 sample and turn the adjustment until the meter reads 4.0. Swap the probe to the 7.0 sample, give it time to settle, then adjust the second knob to read 7.0. There are two adjustments to make on this and the Milwaukee and after that, we plug the CO2 solenoid into the right hole and go, with the added info that it pays to get to know how it runs by occasionally checking the calibration and adjusting as needed to bring it back to reading the 7.0 fluid correctly.
I'm sure there will be other instructions like how to wash it and such but the main points can be covered in one paragraph, if we try! I would guess that the performance will be pretty close to the others on the market, with the main difference being that it is a later electronics design, which in turn does often make the newer somewhat better. Look at the difference in cellphones where we have moved from phones we carried in a bag to what we have and know that the Milwaukee is now a pretty old design. Nothing wrong with either but one is newer?
The first mobile phone I used had to be screwed down in the back of the truck as it was too big to fit anywhere in the cab!
varanidguy likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Agree with this thinking as figuring the instructions is kind of funny in an odd way if we know what it is they are trying to get across. And for help on that point, I found another site which did much better at the ad as they did go into how to do the calibration, which is really about all we need to get on how to use it. I had somewhat advantage on understanding the directions due to using the Milwaukee which is very much the same, except for physical difference.

Perhaps a brief rundown on what the instructions SHOULD say?

Calibrate it before using! To do that, connect the probe and put it in the 4.0 sample and turn the adjustment until the meter reads 4.0. Swap the probe to the 7.0 sample, give it time to settle, then adjust the second knob to read 7.0. There are two adjustments to make on this and the Milwaukee and after that, we plug the CO2 solenoid into the right hole and go, with the added info that it pays to get to know how it runs by occasionally checking the calibration and adjusting as needed to bring it back to reading the 7.0 fluid correctly.

I'm sure there will be other instructions like how to wash it and such but the main points can be covered in one paragraph, if we try! I would guess that the performance will be pretty close to the others on the market, with the main difference being that it is a later electronics design, which in turn does often make the newer somewhat better. Look at the difference in cellphones where we have moved from phones we carried in a bag to what we have and know that the Milwaukee is now a pretty old design. Nothing wrong with either but one is newer?

The first mobile phone I used had to be screwed down in the back of the truck as it was too big to fit anywhere in the cab!

Ha! I love the cell phone anecdote because itís so accurate. Now of days a phone is more like a pocket computer with voice and text functionality built in, pretty remarkable. Especially because we have the internet virtually everywhere we go now.

The 40 breeder is going to get a new stand as the current one is the crappy Petsmart one before I knew any better. It doesnít have a cabinet, so a new one is pretty much needed. But it will be home built (it looks like the paint is going to cost as much as the lumber hahaha).

After that, if itís still at this price point on Amazon, I may give it a try. Especially because Amazon has such a good return policy, itís almost risk free. However, if anyone has experience with this particular unit, Iíd love to hear about it.

Also, I have multiple bottles of calibration fluid so I can cross check the accuracy between different buffers using this unitís probe and the Apera pH pen.

Thanks for your input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode