Eheim 1500xl Help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Eheim 1500xl Help

Hi all,

I have a 220 gallon tank which is being filtered with one eheim 1500xl filter. The filter is brand new and worked well for two months and now the outtake is barely pushing water out. I have checked to see if media is clogged and nothing is clogged. I even took it a step further to drain my filter and refill to ensure no air was in the canister. After doing that it worked well again for two days but now it is back to sounding like air is trapped and no water going out the outtake.

Anyone have experience with this filter before or similar issues on other eheim canister filters and how you fixed the problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Hey Daniel, a quick search shows the 1500XL is the 'new' name for the 2260 and I own a couple of them.

I agree that something doesn't sound right with the reduced flow and it makes me wonder if there is a piece of media trapped somewhere in the output hose or even right underneath the filter lid where the water flows to the pump.

What filter media are you using and HOW is it stacked from bottom to top?

Do you have the top lattice screen installed with the legs facing UP?

How are the hoses run from the filter to the tank trim? Any loops, excess sagging if hoses are too long, etc.? A pic of how the filter is installed and the hoses are running to the tank would be perfect to see.

Are you running any other equipment on either the intake or output hoses?

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeda View Post
Hey Daniel, a quick search shows the 1500XL is the 'new' name for the 2260 and I own a couple of them.

I agree that something doesn't sound right with the reduced flow and it makes me wonder if there is a piece of media trapped somewhere in the output hose or even right underneath the filter lid where the water flows to the pump.

What filter media are you using and HOW is it stacked from bottom to top?

Do you have the top lattice screen installed with the legs facing UP?

How are the hoses run from the filter to the tank trim? Any loops, excess sagging if hoses are too long, etc.? A pic of how the filter is installed and the hoses are running to the tank would be perfect to see.

Are you running any other equipment on either the intake or output hoses?
Thanks for the response, Deeda! No equipment is being run on the intake or output hoses. I have attached a photo for your reference to see my setup. The lattice screens are all set up properly, the easiest part of the installation! My canister setup involves an initial coarse filter pad, lava rock as my biological media and then a fine filter floss pad.

https://imgur.com/a/ngh7HjN (filter setup link).

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 03:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

One big thought to start is how simple the canister filter really is and that makes it nearly impossible for our first thought to really be true! We tend to jump to something being wrong with the motor, etc but those are so reliable that I find they rarely fail compared to other mechanical problems, even when those problems are hard to spot. Just have to hang in there and know that there is "something" blocking flow!
One really easy to happen but terribly hard to find is the intermittent type blockage as you describe. So look for something moving? Things I have found on all filters is shifting media and one of the hard ones is a part of the hard stuff like a barrel that gets away and falls into the can, where it can sometimes move into the tubing, hang and block flow but then move out when we are looking but we still don't see it! A second one might be to check that something like a pad is not allowed to float up against the space where the flow goes up and out or other space where flow might be blocked either by floating or shifting. Easy to turn the grates the wrong way up if it is like other Eheim, perhaps a check of those, even when we are certain we are right?
Killer to find but easy to fix---after you pull your hair out!
Things like shifting the tubing so that it kinks but straightened when we are looking?
Sorry for the "no good answers" answer but it's just a bummer!

Last edited by PlantedRich; 05-17-2019 at 03:20 PM. Reason: add
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 04:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

Daniel, thanks for the info and the pic!!

What are you using for the initial coarse filter pad? Just curious if that or the fine floss pad are plugging up rather quickly.

Is the filter completely full of media to the top lattice screen? The reason I ask is that I recall someone else having issues with less media in the filter and once it was in operation, the media floated upwards and caused some reduced flow.

Are you seeing any kinking of the intake and/or output hose where it goes over the rim of the aquarium?

While I don't think the output hose coming off the pump is an issue for you, you may want to consider rotating the pump so the outlet comes off the side and creates a smoother arc for the hose and it gives you more clearance under the stand for servicing the filter.

Check out this link https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...set-up.189979/ for pic in post #28 and how to remove the pump to rotate it in post #142 and the correct direction in #143,

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode