OUT OF CO2!!! protocol for when this happens? - The Planted Tank Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
OUT OF CO2!!! protocol for when this happens?

so pretty much wat the title says, and of course im trying to fight hair algae right now. ive run out of co2 and wont be able to exchange until monday, what should i do to make sure i dont get overrun until i can switch it out? ive already turned off 1 light completely and turned the other down to 50% any other measures i should do? i havent dosed yet this week as that was one of my experiments to see if it would help curb the algae.

And the journey for a "high tech" tank begins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

Blackout! By the time you get the refill itíll probably be dead or close to it and your plants should be okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AguaScape likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
If possible keeping a spare tank filled is the best way to go.

I always have one on hand and it's worth the piece of mind to me.
varanidguy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

------------------

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
If possible keeping a spare tank filled is the best way to go.

I always have one on hand and it's worth the piece of mind to me.

That is definitely optimal. I usually take it in when itís really low but not completely out, on a Saturday morning. I know it wastes some co2, but itís so cheap that I donít mind. $15 every four or five months for a 10 pounder.

Greggz likes this.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 04:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Keep some gluteraldehyde available..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:22 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
I did a black out for 3 days algae seems to die off

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

-Shrimplaland with my Edge-
Calm sea will never make a skilled sailor -Lam-
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 09:34 AM
Algae Grower

Same - got a spare tank as couple of times found the shops had run out (go figure) so had to wait until next weekend. Else just decreased lights but plants not real happy.
Greggz likes this.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 03:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I keep a diy yeast sugar co2 setup with a hagen bubble ladder in my water change (gak) box.

I use pizza yeast as it is faster acting and gets the co2 going quickly

15 tall
with pressurized c02 jebo 828 , 9w turbotwist uv. up-aqua co2 atomizer16/22
& small yoyo and striata loaches and praecox rainbows.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 03:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

It's all part of the big question of how we each need to fit our operations to match our personal situation and that can't be done until we get more experience with what is needed. So there is no one "perfect" response to fit us all, we have to figure it out.
For me, the solution is to use larger CO2 tanks which give me somewhere around a week to allow me to see the meter moving down and allow for time to refill, while others will have to deal with other problems as larger CO2 tanks will not fit their situation.
When I do run out of CO2, I just assume I will add it to the never ending battle with algae! Part of the game?
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 09:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
It's all part of the big question of how we each need to fit our operations to match our personal situation and that can't be done until we get more experience with what is needed. So there is no one "perfect" response to fit us all, we have to figure it out.

For me, the solution is to use larger CO2 tanks which give me somewhere around a week to allow me to see the meter moving down and allow for time to refill, while others will have to deal with other problems as larger CO2 tanks will not fit their situation.

When I do run out of CO2, I just assume I will add it to the never ending battle with algae! Part of the game?

Never ending is right. What hurts more is when youíre on the cusp of no algae but not quite.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 09:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Happened to me a few times. The last time I ran out of co2 for couple months.

If it's a few days a black out is ok. If its for a week or more, keep the lights running but not as strong.

Plants will slowly evolve to no co2. The co2 demanding plants will melt away.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 02:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenIntentions View Post
so pretty much wat the title says, and of course im trying to fight hair algae right now. ive run out of co2 and wont be able to exchange until monday, what should i do to make sure i dont get overrun until i can switch it out? ive already turned off 1 light completely and turned the other down to 50% any other measures i should do? i havent dosed yet this week as that was one of my experiments to see if it would help curb the algae.
FWIW a few months ago I ran out of CO2 on a Friday evening and had the same freak out since most Gas shops are open M-F. Then a quick Google search taught me about a Beer brewing supply store that did swaps and is open on the weekends. Was even closer to me... A quick tank swap and a local IPA later, I was back in business. Now it's my go to CO2 place. Way better hours and atmosphere! Maybe another CO2 source is near you in the brewery realm?
ipkiss and varanidguy like this.

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 09:38 PM
Planted Member

I have 2 10#ers when one runs out I hook the other full one up,then get the dead one filled.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 04:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (361/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenIntentions View Post

black out until you get Co2.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 01:30 AM
Algae Grower

Like others have said, use what works for you.

3x20# one I use for sparkling water, one is on the tank, the other is spare. When the tank cylinder is at ~200psi I swap the spare into it then rotate into the sparkling water and then off to the filler.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode