Any Tariffs On Chinese Aquarium Goods? - The Planted Tank Forum
 9Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Any Tariffs On Chinese Aquarium Goods?

Does anyone know what the tariffs are going to do to the aquarium hobby? Credible links only please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 04:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Some products may become more expensive...

Are you expecting someone to be doing studies on how the tariffs will affect the aquarium hobby or something? Especially on the freshwater side of things we're a relatively insignificant market. Honestly on aliexpress most of the time when I buy something they lie on the forms about what it is already, like it becomes a $10 aquarium light on the package. I don't think it's a big enough market for the govt to really give a crap. I suspect things like petsmart brand filters etc which are easier for them to track may increase in price.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Be more concerned about food (highest impact of every person- governmental subsidies will not be sufficient in keeping down loss to farmers, consumers will have to pick up the difference in higher food costs), everyday household goods that are used daily: i.e. appliances., and automobiles ( parts made in china).

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:17 PM
Planted Member

Basically from what Iíve been able to gather the parts and components that may be used by American manufacturers to build products will go up considerably while by contrast imported fully assembled products using those same components to make say a finished led fixture will be mostly uneffected.

Iíve seen basically this happening in music equipment which is another of my hobby. Moog synth and effects based in North Carolina has discontinued a whole swath of their guitar/effects pedals because of rise in component costs inflicted by these tariffs. While the cheaper completely assembled competitive products fully assembled in China which have basically same functionality have remained largely untouched by the tarrifs.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Basically from what Iíve been able to gather the parts and components that may be used by American manufacturers to build products will go up considerably while by contrast imported fully assembled products using those same components to make say a finished led fixture will be mostly uneffected.

Iíve seen basically this happening in music equipment which is another of my hobby. Moog synth and effects based in North Carolina has discontinued a whole swath of their guitar/effects pedals because of rise in component costs inflicted by these tariffs. While the cheaper completely assembled competitive products fully assembled in China which have basically same functionality have remained largely untouched by the tarrifs.
Makes you wonder how this is supposed to benefit Americans when this is the scenario doesn't it?

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 10:05 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Makes you wonder how this is supposed to benefit Americans when this is the scenario doesn't it?

I go out of my way to avoid buying anything made in china,but sometimes it seems impossible.If it were up to me the USA would be self sufficient like it was when I was a kid.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 02:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

We started to become a global economy after WWII- its been 70+ years in the making. Never going back, despite recent attempts at returning to some nostalgic age of "self-sufficiency" through tariff wars.
Sure, individuals or areas of the nation may have been more self-sufficient than others over these decades through choice or circumstance. But, as a nation- no.
Nevertheless, in the coming months to year :look for higher prices ( recently, I heard up to 25%) in food, everyday consumer household goods, medical expenses, clothing, and automobiles.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 02:18 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Be more concerned about food (highest impact of every person- governmental subsidies will not be sufficient in keeping down loss to farmers, consumers will have to pick up the difference in higher food costs), everyday household goods that are used daily: i.e. appliances., and automobiles ( parts made in china).

Kind of counter intuitive. Because they cant sell as much to china, our home based food prices go up. Not to mention the amount of federal subsidies farmers get ..... ahh well.

I see what he is trying to do but the whole system has already been destroyed and its not going to change any time soon. They will raise prices on USA based products just because there is an excuse.

Would hope this would stop things like sending Harley frames overseas to be welded to save on labor cost or sending all our raw materials over to turn around and import POS junk made from it.

Probably wont however. What they need to do is require the imported materials to be manufactured by business's that are held to the same standards as local ones including benefits, pay, EPA requirements, OSHA, all that stuff.
Discusluv likes this.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 05:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

For all the fear mongering that is going on, it is interesting how it hasn't stopped people from spending. The credit card debt on the US debt clock continues to roll on as it has... https://www.usdebtclock.org/ What would life be like if people were not paying upwards of 40% interest on all of their impulse purchases?

I suspect China will blink first; they can't afford not to.
Greggz likes this.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 07:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooch View Post
For all the fear mongering that is going on, it is interesting how it hasn't stopped people from spending. The credit card debt on the US debt clock continues to roll on as it has... https://www.usdebtclock.org/ What would life be like if people were not paying upwards of 40% interest on all of their impulse purchases?

I suspect China will blink first; they can't afford not to.
Easy for you to say its all "fear mongering" when your not a farmer in middle America having to deal with the game of who will "blink first".

Thats how it is when your an armchair quarterback.

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 07:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Easy for you to say its all "fear mongering" when your not a farmer in middle America having to deal with the game of who will "blink first".

Thats how it is when your an armchair quarterback.
Name calling is always a effective way to have a conversation.

Quote:
I didn't cars and appliances were sprouted from the ground.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 07:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooch View Post
Name calling is always a effective way to have a conversation.

I didn't cars and appliances were sprouted from the ground.
Brilliant.

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 03:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

And when it gets down to the real facts, the price of consumer items is not really even in the top ten of idiot moves we are making. Ask why the folks with money are so interested in getting to Mars and you begin to realize that we have a very short time frame to get off this planet and find a new one before things totally collapse. I might guess at fifty years?
Look really deeply at what is driving any of the hot button issues and you realize there is very little chance for your grandchildren to grow up in a happy place and that the real cause is not even being discussed.
Any old farmer can tell you what happens when you try to keep too many of any animal on a given amount of land and then look around for somebody even talking about controlling rampant world population growth.
Heaven forbid that we stop breeding like rabbits, that would be immoral, so we prefer to stick our heads in the sand and kill everybody!
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 04:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
And when it gets down to the real facts, the price of consumer items is not really even in the top ten of idiot moves we are making. Ask why the folks with money are so interested in getting to Mars and you begin to realize that we have a very short time frame to get off this planet and find a new one before things totally collapse. I might guess at fifty years?
Look really deeply at what is driving any of the hot button issues and you realize there is very little chance for your grandchildren to grow up in a happy place and that the real cause is not even being discussed.
Any old farmer can tell you what happens when you try to keep too many of any animal on a given amount of land and then look around for somebody even talking about controlling rampant world population growth.
Heaven forbid that we stop breeding like rabbits, that would be immoral, so we prefer to stick our heads in the sand and kill everybody!
Population control?- you might send the memo to those old white men in suits rolling back Roe versus Wade.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Time to get back on topic: how many canister filters are manufactured in Asian factories? The first one that comes to mind are the Sunsuns.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Eheim outsource to Asia?

What effect would any tariffs have on filters?
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode