HOB filter size for a 29 gallon standard? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Quint

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
HOB filter size for a 29 gallon standard?

Currently I have an AC30 on my 29 gallon standard but I don't believe it's cutting it, 3 weeks later and my tank is still cloudy from using Seachem Flourite. I have a spare AC70 sitting around that I used to use when the tank was a Marine tank. On the lowest setting would this be too much flow for a freshwater planted tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 02:44 PM
Planted Member

Use the AC 70,That is what I have on my 29 and it does an excellent job.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 02:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Each tank is different due to what all we have in the tank, so if AC70 is on hand, I would try it as being pretty simple to hang on and turn the other off to watch what happens. It's a personal thing lots of times as some like to see the plants all swaying to the flow while other have fish who want far less.
But for the clearing the dust? That sounds like a small "learning curve" type thing that we all have to get hit with before we figure how much to rinse. I've got some media that will never be anything but red after doing the same with red Flourite. Sorry! Life is just mean.
Perhaps consider hanging both on to clear the dust and then remove one?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 03:32 PM
Planted Member

Personally I would go with the 70 but I like more flow in the tank. Transfer the media over if your using it. I use a 30 on my 10g and a 110 on my 40b.

Just my opinion but I would setup the one you want for normal operation, hook the second one up with just polishing filter material and run both for a couple of days. This should clear out the cloudyness atleast for a while. On both my setups I use the course sponge that comes with the filters, on top of that I put a layer of medium filter material then a layer of fine (batting type material) then the media bag on top. Seems to work pretty good. About every month I pull out the medium and fine material and replace it with new.

I also have pond filter style pre filters on mine. Its course enough not to impede flow but helps prevent fish/shrimp suicide.
Leeatl likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 07:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Go with the AC 70 - You'll love it in your 29 gal.

I think you'd be disappointed if you went with an AC 50.

Last edited by discuspaul; 05-09-2019 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Add sentence
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

I added the AC70 and it's not as powerful as I thought it would be. I guess when I was using it in a Marine application in conjunction with my powerheads it seemed to intensify it. So far what I've done is placed a bunch of fluff I got from Petsmart, then the coarse sponge and then the Nitrate media on top until I can get the proper stuff. Did a 5 gallon wc and a small dose of Prime and Stability. Little by little it's becoming clearer.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode