Co2 regulator - The Planted Tank Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Co2 regulator

I am upgrading my tank to pressurized co2, what would you go for a single or dual regulator? and what the difference also what would you recomend

Thank you

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:58 PM
Algae Grower

I use a co2 art dual stage regulator, I like it so far and I hear that co2 art has excellent customer service if something goes wrong. Dual stage just makes it so the pressure going out from your co2 tank stays constant and you donít suffer end of tank dump, where all your co2 will release if your co2 tank gets close to empty. I would get a dual stage for peace of mind so you donít worry about gassing your fish.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah I think I am looking at these regs aswell is it like this ?

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:13 PM
Algae Grower

Yeah I have the same one, I think itís the pro model, you can buy it in the USA from aquariumcoop.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am in the UK so it cheaper to get it from here , also been looking into getting a paintball tank and they all seem to be vertical output, so that would mean the regulator would be vertical aswell and the bubble counter horizontal is this an issue, I dont think I would have room in my cabinet if it was set up vertical, can you get adapters for a 90į bend ?

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 01:25 AM
Algae Grower

I havenít seen anyone with an elbow on their paintball setup, they all had it on vertically I think.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Is the bubble counter alright horizontal?

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 03:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Several small points that new users need to be aware of when shopping. The difference between dual and single stage is that the pressure does stay constant on the dual stage where the single will often let the output pressure actually go UP when the tank pressure goes down to some low level. One way to work around this is to never let the pressure get that low but that does take a certain confidence in how well you prevent leaks and also watching the tank to refill it before it goes empty. No empty tank, no ETDP!
But then if one does want to move to dual stage, there are points to look at before buying. The CO2 art is often mentioned but it also comes with some potential problems as well due to the lack of quality in the small parts. We often fix on the reg but I feel the other small parts are the more important items as the reg does a very simple minded job and we get the precision (and fun?) from the solenoid and needle valve.
The solenoid is of a type that I call "black box" and they all have pretty much the same potential defects due to design. There is a "pellet" about one inch of metal which slides in a metal tube of sorts when the electromagnet is powered. This is what opens/closes the gas flow and has to be tight to avoid leaks but there is a problem there due to the length of time we power the solenoid. We power them long enough for the heat to pull the pellet may heat the metal parts enough to dry any lube and make the metal swell just enough to stick. This is a pretty common complaint with solenoids from commercial sets and I like to avoid it by using a different style solenoid.
The second item to look at is the needle valve. Think of them as sticking something in a hole to control the size of the opening to control flow. A good needle is long and thin shaped and connected to very fine threads, allowing each movement of the needle adjustment to move the needle a tiny amount. A short stubby needle connected to course threads is more like sticking a thumb in a hole than sticking a needle? Unfortunately, most all commercial sets are sold with these two bad points and the CO2 art is like the rest.
I am not saying that these are not usable, just that it does pay to be aware of what is bought before buying. A really much better, longer lasting, and fun setup can be had by shopping for used/surplus regs and parts to screw together really good quality needle valve and solenoids.
Just points to consider as there are no totally right answers for all users.
The point of the bubble counter is to allow the bubble to float up through the liquid and give enough time to see and count those bubbles. Vertical is almost required to do this.
benshrimp and varanidguy like this.

Last edited by PlantedRich; 04-16-2019 at 03:04 PM. Reason: added note
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you for your detailed answer

tater12 likes this.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

This entire topic is a big ole can of worms and you can/will get a wide spectrum of answers.

I will give another +1 for the co2art dual stage regulator. I love mine. Some of the points @PlantedRich talked on are why I decided to go with a dual stage regulator and co2art has the most affordable offering for a true factory/production dual stage regulator. I've had my cylinder run almost dry with no change in output pressure, it truly works!
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:54 PM
Algae Grower

I feel that the co2 art regulator is a pretty good deal considering I paid $125 shipped, I havenít needed to move the needle valve since getting it, might upgrade parts down the future but for a good budget co2 system, it works.
varanidguy likes this.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 10:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tater12 View Post
I feel that the co2 art regulator is a pretty good deal considering I paid $125 shipped, I havenít needed to move the needle valve since getting it, might upgrade parts down the future but for a good budget co2 system, it works.
Is that dual stage for $125?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 10:01 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
Is that dual stage for $125?

Yeah itís dual stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you all for your answers I think I am going to get that one as I found and adapter at 90į so the bubble counter is not horizontal, I am going to wait till I move in may for the pressurized system as it's one less thing to worry about, already stressing about move my tank

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes it is £110 in the UK

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode