Co2 regulator - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 10:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tater12 View Post
I feel that the co2 art regulator is a pretty good deal considering I paid $125 shipped, I havenít needed to move the needle valve since getting it, might upgrade parts down the future but for a good budget co2 system, it works.
That's how I feel about it. I know the needle valve could be better, I know there are better solenoids out there, but what they provide WORKS. So while it may get all replaced down the line, right now, there's no need.

Plus if you purchase directly from them, you can get everything (regulator, diffuser, tubing, etc) for less than $200. All you need to add is the co2 cylinder. For a dual stage, that's pretty hard to beat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 10:08 PM
Algae Grower

Yeah I got lucky and found 2 5lb tanks near me for sale for $50 my whole setup cost around $200, but Iím happy I went to co2 as my plants look really good even though I barely have an idea what Iím doing haha.
varanidguy likes this.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 10:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tater12 View Post
Yeah itís dual stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's really inexpensive for a dual. I'm sure the other parts aren't the greatest. My biggest fear is not single or dual but nv creep. It's far more common an issue and you are more likely to gas your fish because of it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"you need not a PhD to be a good farmer or aquascaper. Elbow grease likely will serve you better"
- Tom Barr

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 10:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
That's really inexpensive for a dual. I'm sure the other parts aren't the greatest. My biggest fear is not single or dual but nv creep. It's far more common an issue and you are more likely to gas your fish because of it.
That's extremely understandable and yes, co2art's stock NV is the cheaper design. But what I can tell you is that personally, I haven't had an issue with NV creep at all and it's been well over a year now.
Asteroid likes this.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 10:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
It really is a big personal situation and that means there is no really "right" answer for all of us. Part of the discussion when they were first hitting the market was how it can be a dual stage as it certainly does not have the large bulge on the back which is the common sign of being a dual stage and there was a fair amount of discussion and several wanted to see a drawing of the unit and how it was made mechanically but as far as I know, those who questioned never really got the answers and that left some who still doubt what is meant by dual stage. I've not chased that story in a long time and may be way behind but if somebody has some drawings, I'm always interested in how things are made when they are so obviously different. There certainly is a market for a smaller, lighter weight dual stage. Perhaps that is a secret that they prefer to keep but it does leave several who wonder.
One way I have dealt with needle valves which creep is to add some super glue at the joint between the stem and bonnet, once I finally got the setting down to what I felt was needed.
Most often, I have just learned to admit a problem and replace those which are trouble. But I also admit to not being very tolerant of stuff like that if it bugs me.
varanidguy likes this.
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 12:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
It really is a big personal situation and that means there is no really "right" answer for all of us. Part of the discussion when they were first hitting the market was how it can be a dual stage as it certainly does not have the large bulge on the back which is the common sign of being a dual stage and there was a fair amount of discussion and several wanted to see a drawing of the unit and how it was made mechanically but as far as I know, those who questioned never really got the answers and that left some who still doubt what is meant by dual stage. I've not chased that story in a long time and may be way behind but if somebody has some drawings, I'm always interested in how things are made when they are so obviously different. There certainly is a market for a smaller, lighter weight dual stage. Perhaps that is a secret that they prefer to keep but it does leave several who wonder.
One way I have dealt with needle valves which creep is to add some super glue at the joint between the stem and bonnet, once I finally got the setting down to what I felt was needed.
Most often, I have just learned to admit a problem and replace those which are trouble. But I also admit to not being very tolerant of stuff like that if it bugs me.
Exactly this, all we can do is share our experiences with the equipment we own. Some people will agree, some will disagree, but there's not right or wrong answer. Hell, there are some people who swear by using the cheapo $50 chinese regulators and still get good results. I don't trust those regs, but are those people wrong? Well, the proof is in the pudding (results).

I believe I know the thread you're referring to and they did provide some drawings that showed dual stage functionality, but it's older and hard to find now of days. If it helps, I can take a picture of the top-view of the regulator and post it here.
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 02:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
Exactly this, all we can do is share our experiences with the equipment we own. Some people will agree, some will disagree, but there's not right or wrong answer. Hell, there are some people who swear by using the cheapo $50 chinese regulators and still get good results. I don't trust those regs, but are those people wrong? Well, the proof is in the pudding (results).

I believe I know the thread you're referring to and they did provide some drawings that showed dual stage functionality, but it's older and hard to find now of days. If it helps, I can take a picture of the top-view of the regulator and post it here.
No need to go to that trouble as it is the internals that I would want to look at to see where the normal tow chambers fit and how any springs, etc. lay out but it is not much of an interest as most do now accept it as two stage---even if we can't see it!
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 05:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Part of the discussion when they were first hitting the market was how it can be a dual stage as it certainly does not have the large bulge on the back which is the common sign of being a dual stage
This is a 2 stage regulator.. Retails around $500
can't get much smaller..
https://industry.airliquide.us/sites...ulators_14.pdf

bunch on the bay for $77............

Thread that started it all..
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/2...or-review.html

There was also a bad string of posts on how [email protected] the first "new" cheap 2 stages were including pictures of some disassembled w/ 3rd grade machining on the inside..
Followed by many replacements and "sorrys"..

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/9...tuation-6.html
don't recall any pics of the full 2 stage thing though..

From the above thread..If this is pretty much the second stage I can see why it's so small..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

Last edited by jeffkrol; 04-17-2019 at 05:41 AM. Reason: edit
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 02:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
Exactly this, all we can do is share our experiences with the equipment we own. Some people will agree, some will disagree, but there's not right or wrong answer. Hell, there are some people who swear by using the cheapo $50 chinese regulators and still get good results. I don't trust those regs, but are those people wrong? Well, the proof is in the pudding (results)..
This is so very true. As I am actually using an azoo that is probably around 9 years old. Never a problem. I go by the abundance of user experience more than anything else. I am in the market for another one so I will definitely be looking at that co2art one.
varanidguy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"you need not a PhD to be a good farmer or aquascaper. Elbow grease likely will serve you better"
- Tom Barr
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 02:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

A small point for those reading through this post at a later date? Keep in mind that the post referenced above is from 2015 and that it is about a set which was just being developed and with the changes which come along with a new product. That means that we are now about five years later and we should assume that there have been a number of changes in that five years. Having watched how the market works, I keep in mind that things are constantly changed and part of those changes are not to make the product better but to further cut the cost of production. I do not know which way this product may have gone, so just be aware that the review Old Punk gave it in 2015 may or may not be on the same thing we get today.
benshrimp and Asteroid like this.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 02:35 AM
Algae Grower

Where can you buy those Co2Art regulator in the USA ? The web site is in UK. any idea ?
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 02:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwidjaya View Post
Where can you buy those Co2Art regulator in the USA ? The web site is in UK. any idea ?

They will ship to the US and itís surprisingly quick. I think it took about a week to arrive. But Aquarium Co-Op is a US vendor for their regulators.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 04:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
A small point for those reading through this post at a later date? Keep in mind that the post referenced above is from 2015 and that it is about a set which was just being developed and with the changes which come along with a new product. That means that we are now about five years later and we should assume that there have been a number of changes in that five years. Having watched how the market works, I keep in mind that things are constantly changed and part of those changes are not to make the product better but to further cut the cost of production. I do not know which way this product may have gone, so just be aware that the review Old Punk gave it in 2015 may or may not be on the same thing we get today.
Well... FAIR points.. and I suppose one could assume I was being a bit err harsh but the reality is it is very difficult to make a precision machined unit (inc. needle valve and solenoids) at a retail price of what $135....and assuming the retailer uses normal markups $70 to the wholesaler...
Now it IS possible from my own research to get decent 2 stage regs China direct for about $50 each (only reg) so there is that.
And using robots one can now manuf precision at a low labor cost.
Call it more as a historical reference and the main function was to get the images of how some of these are built (partially I guess).
I'd have a hard time choosing between one of the above or a beer 1 stage w/ a DIYCO2 post body kit for about $150.

There are still reports of intermittent failures posted here or there of the cheaper 2 stage ones..

They sell "better ones" (always have).......
https://www.co2art.eu/collections/co...magnetic-valve

consider this more of a rambling from a semi-CO2 snob..
OH to add to the design and why it looks "funny" compare to other 2 stage regs.. See here:
Again oldish, Oct-Nov 2016..
Quote:
(If you own it, feel free to dismantle it. All sealings are done with specially designed o-rings which can be easily assembled back together; to allow easy maintenance of our regulators - this is why we are able to offer 10 years warranty!)

As you can see above, our regulator reduces pressure in two different stages (1st, with one large spring, pressure is reduced to +-10bar/145psi) then gas is redirected to middle chamber, where we have two small springs allowing you to adjust pressure between 0 and 6bar / 90psi.

This diagram is said to be here ..somewhere..
Not my choice of size..

Think I'm harsh.. read that thread..
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/03...g?v=1510245028
Best I could do..

Looks to be re-designed.. again..
https://www.co2art.eu/products/pro-s...rated-solenoid

Quote:
Completely redesigned with new pressure stabilisation construction. Much larger internal springs are giving safety and precision at the highest level.

Sooooooooooo my biggest beef was with the blue knobbed 2 stage ones..
WHICH are no longer there.. KUDOS!!

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

Last edited by jeffkrol; 04-18-2019 at 01:34 PM. Reason: edit

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode