• 1 Post By PlantedRich
  • 1 Post By Kayak83

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
RCB
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
need to create water movement

Greetings all, as the title says I need to create water movement. My tank is an odd size, its 24" wide...12" tall..and only 6" deep. Right now I have an Aqua Clear 20 in the back and it does a good job of filtering but it doesn't create much in the way of water movement. I have loads of plants and injected CO2. Besides plants I have a Betta and a Hillstream Loach. Both are quite comfortable in their environment and there are quite a few hiding spots for them to investigate.

I would like to create water movement for the health of my plants and am open to suggestions from those who have a small size tank with plants. Some of the power heads I looked at are way to big ( even the small ones ) for the depth of my tank. I should also mention that I have a Finnex Ray 2 that expands the entire width of the tank.

Any ideas on how to create water movement is appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Rather than add more filters which do add more time and work to keep cleared, I add small powerheads. If the powerhead is too strong, I add baffles to cut the flow to closer to what I see needed. I use several of the little heads I get from the auction site for about ten dollars as they have a nice suction mount that I like. The specific one I use is from a dealer in Madison, Wisconsin as he seems to have a good service and price.
However, I have also used small fountain pumps, simply due to having them on hand and they are also able to do the job if I set them up off the bottom to avoid fouling from too much debris. They come in such a wide range of size and performance, there is one which would be right for what you see, but it is likely to take some guesswork to get it correct.
One handy way to cut flow is adding a net over the intake or the outflow.
I object to equipment in the tanks, so I have drilled/cut out the center of wood and placed pumps inside, letting the flow come out the top to spread out horizontally from there. Kind of a pain to cut and fit but it does get a gentle flow all around without blowing things too much.
Point to keep in mind that may bother some? There is often worry about "straining" motors but that is not a factor in the magnetic drive pumps/filters we now use so we can choke them down as much as we want without burning them out with the note that we do need to keep them wet. We do need to keep them wet but we can let them totally stop without harm as evidenced by the number of filters which stop until we get them restarted and it doesn't harm them.
RCB likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
RCB
Algae Grower

Hi PlantedRich and thanks for sharing your ideas with me. I was watching YouTube and a fellow hobbyist with a small Nano tank was using a Hydor Koralia 240 in his small tank. I think its what I'm looking for, not to big, not to strong to freak out Jumbo my Betta. My plants get little movement due to the depth of my tank. The Hydor 240 can be installed on the end of the tank and provide decent circulation. Still open to suggestions if anyone has em'

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:18 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCB View Post
Hi PlantedRich and thanks for sharing your ideas with me. I was watching YouTube and a fellow hobbyist with a small Nano tank was using a Hydor Koralia 240 in his small tank. I think its what I'm looking for, not to big, not to strong to freak out Jumbo my Betta. My plants get little movement due to the depth of my tank. The Hydor 240 can be installed on the end of the tank and provide decent circulation. Still open to suggestions if anyone has em'
I use the Hydor Koralia 240 in my 29g. Sits above my CO2 diffuser on the right side of my tank and points to the ~ center front glass. But it'll likely go away once I install my spray bar.
RCB likes this.

- - - - - -
29g Freshwater
30" Finnex Planted+ 24/7
Fluval 206 Canister
Paintball CO2
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
RCB
Algae Grower

Hello Kayak83, I think Ive settled on the Hydor 240 for the tank in question. I'm not 100% sure if filter placement or CO2 diffuser placement make a whole lot of difference. But due to the 6" depth of this older MetaFrame , I'm limited to where I place the components. Right now I have the AquaClear 20 hanging on the back and it sits dead center. My CO2 difusser sits under the AquaClear where the water flow leaving the filter disburses the CO2 bubbles throughout the tank. Sound right to you??

I was going to position the Hydor on the side of the tank and position it so it flows the entire length of the tank. If its sufficient for your 29 gallon it should certainly be good enough for my tank. Much obliged for your help and if you have any opinion on how Ive set up my filter/CO2 difusser, please don't hesitate to further educate me.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I found the smallest Koralia to be a bit too strong for several spots and I do like to use lots of small "kicks" for flow, rather than one big one. But that is where the playing has to start as each tank will have a different flow, depending on what rocks, wood or plants are in the way. I do like the magnet/suction cup design of the Koralia but moved away to get better pricing and smaller size.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
RCB
Algae Grower

When you mention small " kicks " for flow....are you achieving this by using the controller ? If so, did the controller you have come with all the necessary wire hookups so it becomes a plug and play unit ? Thanks for you help PlantedRich Im still in the new-b stage of fish keeping but quickly learning.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 10:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCB View Post
When you mention small " kicks " for flow....are you achieving this by using the controller ? If so, did the controller you have come with all the necessary wire hookups so it becomes a plug and play unit ? Thanks for you help PlantedRich Im still in the new-b stage of fish keeping but quickly learning.
No, not that sort of kick but I might have said smaller boosts from more than one powerhead or pump. I'm thinking like in longer tanks where one has to be too strong to get the motion all the way to the other end but a small one to kick it part way and then another to kick it again? Thinking more of a relay than one long pass?
For a really nice temperature controller, I really like the Inkbird 308 as it does come all wired and plug and play as well as having lots of small points that I could never wire up myself. Lots of options that can be set, some we need/find handy and some not. Good are plugs for plugging heat in and also a separate plug for a fan for cooling and both can be setup, left wired in and both high and low temperatures are covered. Fully setable temp and alarms for going too cold or too hot. The part we are not likely to use in tanks is the compressor delay that is meant for things like refrig. and things that home brew folks might use.
Full user manual here that has few English problems but still easy once we figure out which settings we want to use and ignore them if we don't use cooling, etc.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/14...?page=1#manual
Mostly you plug in the heater to the heat plug, set the temp you want it to stay and then how far off that you want it to go before the heat comes on again. Set what level you want to hear an alarm if it goes bad and gets too hot and then hold the "set" for three seconds to save the settings. Page #7 is a flow chart if you are used to them?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
RCB
Algae Grower

Appreciate the advice PlantedRich. My Hydor 240 should be arriving soon and Ill be able to fool around with the optimum placement for the best circulation.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode