To lid or not to lid? - The Planted Tank Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
To lid or not to lid?

I wanted to get some opinions.

I have a nano build that's coming up soon - it's about 10 gallons. Planning decently high light with co2, probably going to use dragon stone as hardscape material.

Inhabitants will be golden back yellow shrimp and I'm thinking corydoras pygmaeus and possibly otocinclus as tank mates.

The tank itself doesn't come with a lid, totally open top. I'm leaning more towards putting a top on it but I'm not sure. Any opinions/advice/insight?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would go with a lid. Shrimp are capable of climbing out of a tank.
Discusluv and ReeferRob like this.

I may come across as a know-it-all. In reality, I have no idea.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaScape View Post
I would go with a lid. Shrimp are capable of climbing out of a tank.
Yeah, and I couldn't imagine that dealing with evaporation on a small tank would be fun.
AguaScape likes this.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Now this poses a second issue...how to design and add a lid. It's rimless and nobody makes aftermarket lids for them. Plus there needs to be a gap on the sides in order for my chosen light to grip the tank.

Does anybody have suggestions?
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Appearance is always a problem but when needing a lid to stop jumpers, and all my fish do jump at times, I have used the plastic mesh like sold for weaving. It is cheap and easy to cut and fit and then I bend small hooks of wire to suspend it over the tank. I like to let air pass to let the tank cool but if one wanted to stop evaporation and flow, you could lay on a thin sheet of plastic like a sheet protector. Saran Wrap, even?
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:25 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
These can be used to create a fairly simple and inexpensive top.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:52 PM
Algae Grower

Hardware store lowes etc. Plexiglass and some plastic cement to glue some strips to the underside, and inner portion of the tank. Let cure a few days. Drill some small feeding holes which will allow bad gasses to escape.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I"m assuming it's a rimless tank. The whole idea is to make the tank and equipment as invisible as possible so to me putting a lid on kinda defeats that purpose. I've kept shrimp in various open-top tanks from ADA, Mr Aqua etc for years and I've never once found a shrimp on the floor. In fact I bred shrimp for years in open-top tanks when there were hundreds in the tank. You just need to leave around a 1" space from the surface of the water to the top of the tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:49 PM
Algae Grower

I've had a nerite snail sneak out twice, but otherwise, haven't had issues with leaving my rimless tank without a lid. I keep the water line about an inch below the top. Be careful if you're going to be injecting CO2. The same lid that might prevent evaporation could also prevent proper oxygenation and CO2 outgassing.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:52 PM
Algae Grower

I do have a top on my 10 gallon betta tank. I do not have a tops on my 29 gallon or 45 gallon tanks. All of these tanks are cheaper standard framed aquariums. I have to top off my uncovered tanks with approximately 2 gallons of water each, each week, from evaporation. I have 4 amano shrimp in the 29 gallon and have never experienced them trying to climb out.

Don't make things too complicated. Try to relax, enjoy every moment, get used to everything. - Angelique Kerber
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:29 PM
Planted Member

I run lids on my sub 10 gallon tanks and would in your case. I use Lexan from the hardware store. Lexan doesn't absorb moisture and bend like cheaper plexiglass does.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:27 PM
Algae Grower

Plexi does not absorb water and lexan will bend almost the same thickness is the determining factor. This size tank with no weight to support the differences are not measurable.

Lexan however is easier to work with imo. Less prone to cracking when cutting.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

To lid or not to lid?

Wow, thanks for all the great feedback everyone!

To those who are running topless, are you adding water daily? A big concern with evaporation is keeping the parameters consistent enough for the shrimp and to avoid algae issues.

If I added a lid, it would likely need to be not as wide as the tank to give a small space to feed power cables, hoses, probes, etc.

Hereís a photo of the tank itself. As you can see, it has a built in section for filtration where most of the in-tank equipment can be hidden, but thereís also a small lip thatís slightly shorter than the panels of the tank. Any input on how to fit a lid that can still look pleasing?

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:50 PM
Algae Grower

Budget dependent any good glass shop could do either glass or the plastic lid. Make a template out of cardboard, with feed holes and any notches etc for equipment.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:11 PM
Planted Member

I've seen a bunch of those at my LFS recently, they seem like really nice tanks. I would probably just make a rectangular cover that went side to side, front to the black divider wall, then either glue a small, second strip on the back to level it out, or use the clear rubber cabinet bumpers. Just keep in mind that the divider wall is slightly lower so it overflows into the tank if you're outflow gets backed up, so don't block it off too much. You can use a hole saw or forstner bit to drill feed holes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck joe View Post
Plexi does not absorb water and lexan will bend almost the same thickness is the determining factor. This size tank with no weight to support the differences are not measurable.

Lexan however is easier to work with imo. Less prone to cracking when cutting.
https://www.plexiglas.com/export/sit...Absorbtion.pdf

If it's supported on all 4 sides, it's not going to bend enough to matter on a tank that short. Anecdotally, I originally used plexiglass and had to replace the lids with Lexan (same thickness). Fortunately I had only made 2 at the time.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode