To lid or not to lid? - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 01:32 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
Wow, thanks for all the great feedback everyone!

To those who are running topless, are you adding water daily? A big concern with evaporation is keeping the parameters consistent enough for the shrimp and to avoid algae issues.

If I added a lid, it would likely need to be not as wide as the tank to give a small space to feed power cables, hoses, probes, etc.

Hereís a photo of the tank itself. As you can see, it has a built in section for filtration where most of the in-tank equipment can be hidden, but thereís also a small lip thatís slightly shorter than the panels of the tank. Any input on how to fit a lid that can still look pleasing?

Do yourself a favor and get an Auto topoff. It's life-changing. There are a ton of options out there. I will always suggest getting an Apex to use as an ATO because of all the other functionality. But there are plenty of other options:

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/auto-...f-systems.html
varanidguy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
Do yourself a favor and get an Auto topoff. It's life-changing. There are a ton of options out there. I will always suggest getting an Apex to use as an ATO because of all the other functionality. But there are plenty of other options:

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/auto-...f-systems.html

Hmmm, well for now my budget is getting maxed out, still gotta get it planted, BUT thatís not so expensive itís out of the question for the future!

So does the pump just sit in a bucket of distilled or RO water and top off as needed with a sensor or is it a mechanical float?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 01:53 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Hmmm, well for now my budget is getting maxed out, still gotta get it planted, BUT thatís not so expensive itís out of the question for the future!

So does the pump just sit in a bucket of distilled or RO water and top off as needed with a sensor or is it a mechanical float?

All ATOs basically have 3 parts:

Float Switch/Sensor - These can be mechanical float switches or light sensors. They tell the Brain where the water level is.

A Pump - This pump is used to move RO/DI water from a container to the tank or sump.

A Brain - The brain is where the switches/sensors and pump are plugged into. It takes the input signal from the switches/sensors and tells the pump to turn on or off depending on the status of the switches/sensors.

To answer your question about the pump, yes, it can just sit in the container. That said, there are also pumps that are made to stay dry like aqualifters and peristaltic pumps. If you check my build, you can see there are creative ways to hide the container of RO water. I use that peristaltic pump in the link on my freshwater tank, but have also used aqualifters for years on my saltwater tanks. I like having the pump outside the container as it makes servicing or replacing easier.
varanidguy likes this.

post #34 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
All ATOs basically have 3 parts:

Float Switch/Sensor - These can be mechanical float switches or light sensors. They tell the Brain where the water level is.

A Pump - This pump is used to move RO/DI water from a container to the tank or sump.

A Brain - The brain is where the switches/sensors and pump are plugged into. It takes the input signal from the switches/sensors and tells the pump to turn on or off depending on the status of the switches/sensors.

To answer your question about the pump, yes, it can just sit in the container. That said, there are also pumps that are made to stay dry like aqualifters and peristaltic pumps. If you check my build, you can see there are creative ways to hide the container of RO water. I use that peristaltic pump in the link on my freshwater tank, but have also used aqualifters for years on my saltwater tanks. I like having the pump outside the container as it makes servicing or replacing easier.

Thatís awesome. Might have to set something like that up for the 40 breeder. And maybe this tank as well.

post #35 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 06:10 PM
Algae Grower

What did you go for in the end?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
post #36 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallon View Post
What did you go for in the end?

I purchased the UNS lid for the 45U (45S lid is the same exact size) and it fits like a charm! Almost as if the lid was made for the tank.

Fallon likes this.

post #37 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 08:18 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (39/100%)
Seems like the OP's question/situation is answered, but I thought my responses might help others who have similar questions and are reading through this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil8 View Post
I do have a top on my 10 gallon betta tank. I do not have a tops on my 29 gallon or 45 gallon tanks. All of these tanks are cheaper standard framed aquariums. I have to top off my uncovered tanks with approximately 2 gallons of water each, each week, from evaporation. I have 4 amano shrimp in the 29 gallon and have never experienced them trying to climb out.
I've had amano shrimp climb out with a 1.5" gap of water level. They can easily grip onto the corners of tanks or climb up lily pipes if they are desperate. (This has primarily happened when they feel predated by large fish or the tank parameters are off e.g. elevated CO2, large pH fluctuations, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck joe View Post
Plexi does not absorb water and lexan will bend almost the same thickness is the determining factor. This size tank with no weight to support the differences are not measurable.

Lexan however is easier to work with imo. Less prone to cracking when cutting.
I would strongly recommend against Lexan (and also acrylic). There are much better options out there IMO that just require a little bit more work. You can get glass cut at your Lowes/Home Depot equivalent and sand down the edges with sand paper (or even better, a Dremel). You can buy a lot of aftermarket aquarium lid clips for rimless tanks on Amazon, Ebay, etc. I personally like the ADA hooks, even though they are much more pricey than the acrylic/plastic ones you can get elsewhere, because they are much lower profile.

[QUOTE=Fallon;11197849]Evaporation was an issue for me to I made my own lid and bought some fittings which sit inside the rim so to speak which although not perfect doesn't damage the minimal look too much. It stays clean is easy too move, really happy with it.

One of the problems I've had with evaporations is that it steadily increases the TDS of your water. This is problematic for lazier aquariusts (like me), who don't like to do water changes more frequently than once every couple months. Nowadays, I just top off my tanks with RO water since the TDS on my RO water is ~20.
varanidguy likes this.

ADA 120P, DoAqua 90P, ADA 60P, ADA 30C x2, ADA 45P, ADA Mini-M
post #38 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 11:32 AM
Planted Member

If the lid can reduce evaporation, it can also reduce off gassing of CO2 and provide better CO2 distribution. The airspace below the lid, though not 100% air tight, captures some escaped CO2 and redistributes it evenly over the water surface for re-absorption. I have no data to prove it, as I always have tank top, but you can make CO2 measurement comparison pre and post topping to verify. My deduction came from observing no more calcium deposit on the rims and glass lid once CO2 injection was introduced.
varanidguy likes this.
post #39 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 08:37 PM
Algae Grower

Location: Alamos, Sonora, Mexico & Green Valley, Arizona, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger15 View Post
My deduction came from observing no more calcium deposit on the rims and glass lid once CO2 injection was introduced.
That's a nice benefit in of itself.

learning never stops.
post #40 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 08:04 PM
Planted Member

I've had no lids forever and fill almost to the top. The only things that get out are an amano every couple of months, and some guppies when my first tank was in terrible shape.

As long as your tank isn't overstocked and ferts are correct, you won't get jumpers very often. In fact, I've had no shrimps jump for a few months as I've dialed in my ferts to near perfect.

Lids have no real effect on the co2. I can make a much higher co2 difference by putting the outflow half in and out of the water. This can make a ph difference of about 0.2 due to the co2 escaping from the rough water.
post #41 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Shrimp, snails? I wouldn't know anything about them- never kept them.

But, fish? ~If they have a swim bladder- ( which 99% of freshwater fish we put in our aquariums do)- all are capable of ending up on your floor. Fish jump for many reasons: natural breeding behaviors, aggression between con-specifics, startled by shadows across and above tank, declining water quality, Co2 issues, parasites- to name a few.

If you have decided not to lid your tank, admit it is for aesthetic reasons-not because fish dont jump. Why not- there your fish- if picking dead fish up off the floor and replacing them periodically doesn't bother you- why should it bother anyone else?

Personally, I lid- dead fish on the floor bothers me, I feel like I am not being responsible. And I have several discus that cost over 200.00 apiece ( who happen to hit their noggins on the top glass weekly because they are so skittish).

My main display tank has a lid, with about a 2Ē gap in the back for plumbing and whatnot....my SAE still wound up on the floor

Leeatl and Asteroid like this.

post #42 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 10:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

There's a couple of open-top lakes near me. I don't usually see fish flopping around on the shore.

post #43 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 05:11 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
My main display tank has a lid, with about a 2Ē gap in the back for plumbing and whatnot....my SAE still wound up on the floor

I had probably less and my SAE some how ended up about 4ft away from the tank under the sofa. Found it a month after it went AWOL lol

varanidguy likes this.
post #44 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 05:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
There are plastic strips that you can add to back glass and cut around plumbing so that there are no gaps- that is what I have. My Oto's stay in my aquarium.

https://www.petswarehouse.com/perfec...xoCw2YQAvD_BwE

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #45 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have Platys who do jump so I use DIY sliding glass lids . For the back gaps I use plastic canvas cut to fit . Have never had a fish jump out . I use canopies so I don't care about the rim being seen cause it isn't anyway...lol

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode