Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
red sea makes a diy net cover that you can customize shape/size/ openings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 03:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The little aqueon rimless cubes come with a piece of glass and something like these https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Rimless-.../dp/B072C3NJ46 as a lid... would be pretty easy to cut an appropriate thickness piece of lexan or whatnot to size (need to leave enough room for the clips to fit)
post #18 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 06:46 PM
Algae Grower

Evaporation was an issue for me to I made my own lid and bought some fittings which sit inside the rim so to speak which although not perfect doesn't damage the minimal look too much. It stays clean is easy too move, really happy with it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Quesenek and varanidguy like this.

post #19 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 06:47 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallon View Post
Evaporation was an issue for me to I made my own lid and bought some fittings which sit inside the rim so to speak which although not perfect doesn't damage the minimal look too much. It stays clean is easy too move, really happy with it.

From the front.

Quesenek likes this.
post #20 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for the ideas everyone! @Fallon, I really love the look of that. What clips did you use? How far over the tank do the rests for the lid go in?
post #21 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 07:43 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
Thanks for the ideas everyone! @Fallon, I really love the look of that. What clips did you use? How far over the tank do the rests for the lid go in?
Look at this on eBay
[Ebay Link Removed]

They sit probably about 3cm into the tank. Took a while to come from China but I'm happy with the product. The lid is again acrilic I think about 5mm. I preferred the look without the lid but with it it more practical for me.

post #22 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 07:45 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallon View Post
Look at this on eBay
[Ebay Link Removed]

They sit probably about 3cm into the tank. Took a while to come from China but I'm happy with the product. The lid is again acrilic I think about 5mm. I preferred the look without the lid but with it it more practical for me.

Didn't realise the link would be remove. As you gathered they are off eBay, a choice of different sizes.

post #23 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by doy_ill View Post
red sea makes a diy net cover that you can customize shape/size/ openings
Do you know if they'll make lids that are solid in the middle instead of screen? I couldn't find much info on them aside from their advertising/directional page for those lids.
post #24 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Putting aside cost, ADA does make glass covers. Not sure if they would have your size. You could check out aquaforest or another distributor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The difference between the red sea kit and a screen window kit is theres ready made "cutouts" / rectangular sections in the red sea kit but it's totally cheaper to get a screen frame kit and extra corners to make your own cutout sections from a hardware store or amazon and some clear mesh... but no those screens do NOT come in solid forms but you could potentially use a clear roll of something except good luck getting it to look super flat they're literally the same thing you would put on a window with a different mesh. Or you can buy red sea zigzag corner pieces and probably use them with the kits from the hardware store but most hardware store kits are aluminum or white finish because not too many people have black window frames.

the aqueon nonsense looks like this...
post #26 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 01:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

We dove pretty deep into rimless and rimmed tanks over the last 5yrs. We lost a few nice fish and settled for a 1/2 way compromise on lids.

Our big observation: standard tank rim/ no glass top =deflector.

We tried an open top tank that still looked pretty, but added some level of safety for jumpers (the ledge).
*rimless look awesome, but we lost too many fish from night activities or getting spooked. Morning carpet surprises did not bring good fish news.

Rimless look like a gorgeous chalice of flickering light and water, but they just have limits with jumpers and favorite fish.
Fish do what fish do.

The little edge that supports glass tops gives a large percent of wall-skimming fish a 2nd chance to deflect off the lip while they skim walls or whatever they do to wind up on our floors.
A glass lid is the next step.

Good luck on your journey.

Below is our 80 gallon compromise between seeing the light flicker on an open top tank, but saving the jumpers.
A hidden nano skimmer keeps the water free of surface oils.

Thelongsnail and varanidguy like this.
post #27 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 08:13 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Regarding evaporation, I have a ~25g open top tank (80cm long x 40cm wide x 30cm tall) and despite the larger footprint and being in a window, only lose around 2g of water a week through evaporation.

I wanted a clear rim around the edge as I have wood and plants coming out the top, but due to various reasons, have not been able to make/buy one yet. In the 8 months that the tank has been set up, I've lost one amano shrimp and had to throw a nerite snail back in (it was fine, thankfully)

A rim/lid will give you peace of mind & open up stocking choices and as seen above, you can buy or DIY some fantastic options. From personal experience though, I've never lost a pygmy cory through jumping and the shrimp loss was very shortly after acclimation, so as long as the water line is an inch or more below the top, I wouldn't lose too much sleep so long as you stocked the current choices.

Journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #28 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 11:54 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBTEXAS View Post
I run lids on my sub 10 gallon tanks and would in your case. I use Lexan from the hardware store. Lexan doesn't absorb moisture and bend like cheaper plexiglass does.
When exposed to high humidity, Lexan will leach out chemicals known to be endocrine disruptors

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk
post #29 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I believe I found the perfect option! The UNS lid for their tanks. Measures 43x23 CM, it'll perfectly cover the main portion of the tank, but leave the back exposed. And there will be a gap on either side to run the co2 hose for the in-tank diffuser! With the light stand clamped onto the sides of the tank, it's just wider (at the most narrow point) than 43 CM, so their lid should be perfect!

Edit: It would be the lid for the 45U/45S. Same dimensions.

Edit number two: HAHA Nevermind! Shipping is more than the lid! $26!

T-T-T-Triple edit!: Buce's official eBay store will ship it for $14...going to order there. By the time I get clips from a third party and some glass/plastic cut, it'll be about the same cost, maybe a few $$$ less. It's worth it to buy premade knowing it'll be the proper dimensions and from a good vendor. Because of the rules, I can't link Buce's eBay store here, but it's called "buceplantofficial"

https://buceplant.com/products/uns-r...nt=46102586957
Thelongsnail likes this.

Last edited by varanidguy; 04-21-2019 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Updated info
post #30 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The UNS lid arrived today (super fast shipping)! I actually wound up ordering from Glass Aqua because the BucePlant eBay store wouldnít process my payment...and I didnít want to pay the overinflated shipping on their web site. Glass Aqua offered it with $14 shipping, same as Buceís eBay.

The thing fits like it was made for the tank! I was worried something would be wonky since theyíre different brands, but nope!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quesenek likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode