2Likes
  • 1 Post By PlantedRich
  • 1 Post By PlantedRich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Inline Diffuser Installation

So I flooded my tank thinking I had my CO2 ready, and a week later have yet to figure out how to install my inline diffuser to my Fluval 206 canister filter. I feel like the ribbed plastic hosing isn't the best, so have bought 12/16mm tubing which fits the diffuser itself. I have a feeling 16/22 mm is what the Fluval would take, but at Home Depot I have bought a US sized hose that seems to fit. So I guess my question is what is the best way to connect these together? I have very little plumbing experience and have just been scratching my head. Also I suppose I will need to go back to the larger size for the outflow into the tank.

Any help appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 07:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If it's larger than the tubing you have, most likely 1/2", it most likely takes 5/8".
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hmm, yeah, I'm not home now, but I think that's what ended up being closest. The issue is how do I plumb the 16/22 mm tubing to 12/16mm tubing though and back again to go from filter to diffuser and back to outflow.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:36 PM
Algae Grower

What kind of inline diffuser do you have? I have a Fluval 206 and an Ista Max mix. From the filter to the reactor I use 16/22 tubing. From the reactor to the outflow I use the original Fluval tubing. Hope the pic helps.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
The numbers to look at are the first ( 16?) and (12?) as those are the inside diameter in MM as most all fittings will have to go inside the tubing. So converting 16 to what we think in the US, we get a decimal of .629 and normally that is "close enough" to use 5/8 inch fittings. The other end of the adapter fitting will need to be 12 MM (.427?) which will often let you use 1/2 inch. This is often not an exact science and different tubing is slightly different for stretching or clamping to make it fit but there are some tricks which may help.
To stretch to go over a slightly oversized fitting, I soak the tubing in really hot water for a minute before stretching. A cup of water in the microwave for two minutes works for me. And then if it still won't go, I use something like long nose pliers to force inside the tubing and pull the jawas open to do more stretching before quickly sliding it on.
For tubing that is not quite tight and might worry me to slip off, I almost always add a metal seal at all the connections.
However, I must say that Fluval doesn't do us any favors with their choice of tubing!
Another thought to consider is how much that fitting inside the tubing cuts the overall opening and that cuts flow.
varanidguy likes this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have the CO2 art 12/16mm inline diffuser. I did buy some metal clamps last time and tape, so maybe a combo of your heating it and those will give me a nice seal.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 09:26 PM
Algae Grower

206 uses 16/22 maybe if you could you should return it and get the one that fits better.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 02:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Tubing and getting the right fit is often a bit of trouble, but keeping some "cheats" in mind can help. One that I usually don't get down to but have on hand is petroleum jelly /Vaseline as it is not really petroleum any more and is certainly a handy thing to keep on hand. I don't want the menthol but just keep a little tub of the cheap no flavor/no scent stuff on the shelf where I do my filter work. Just too helpful to not keep it handy!
When the tubing is just a bit too tight or the O-ring is getting dry or stiff is a good time to rub just a tiny bit of jelly on and wipe as much off as your fingers will remove. You don't need enough to let dust stick in it but just a sheen will certainly make things that we often call "rubber" last longer and fit together better.
For those who worry about the combo of petroleum and rubber or with our fish, we need to remember that lots of things are made of petroleum and they are not petroleum after we process them. Things like plastic and petroleum jelly are both safe. Also the old story about petroleum degrading rubber may be true but then we don't really get much true rubber any more as it has become so scarce and plastics are much more likely to be used.
varanidguy likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 06:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Honestly though.. just get a diffuser of the "correct" size.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode