Paludarium v aquarium tanks construction - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jeffkrol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Paludarium v aquarium tanks construction

I picked up a 150 gal a while back, wasn't in the condition I was hoping for but good enough for the kids python so I traded his (I think) 45 for it. She is much happier.

Went and picked up the 45 from the boy today and it is a reptile tank and it has a tag that states 'do not fill with water' - similar to 'do not drill' on tempered stuff. Why? it is 3/16 glass and even not tempered should be strong enough? I can reseal if needed but not sure why I can't put water in it?

I also got a free 55 the other day but the framing is cracked in a few places so I had planned on the 55 for the paludarium but the 45 was going to be an angel tank. I might end up with two paludariums...

Anywho - thoughts on the reptile 45?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 05:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Listen to the manufacturer who designed it.. Chances are either the glass is too thin and or not well braced..
http://www.turtleforum.com/forum/upl...to-hold-water/

"do not drill on tempered glass" because the tempering process puts in under compression and tension ..
If the surface layer is broken the glass basically implodes/explodes into small pieces..
Quote:
Tempered Glass Breakage

When tempered glass breaks, the energy retained in the glass due to internal tension/compression releases explosively and produces a glass breakage pattern sometimes called “cubes”.
deeda likes this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

Last edited by jeffkrol; 04-10-2019 at 05:27 PM. Reason: edit
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah was in the glass biz for a decade so know about the differences. That said I filled up in the driveway and noticeable bow in the front so it appears to be a frame strength issue.

Either way, I've built a stand for it so something is going in it....

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 10:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You could euro brace it..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
You could euro brace it..
https://youtu.be/tBi1b351lsk

sorry i missed this. Yes I thought about that but just going with the paludarium. So after some work with styro, canned foam, portland cement and some coloring agent...

pardon the shadow of my boat oars I have hanging on the wall. I've been working on the water and filters last 45 days or so (started with current tank water to speed up) just put in the hatchets today. I'm going to keep bioload pretty low on this one. I believe I have about 15 gallons total. About a third of that usable by the fish. I threw in some scraps of plants fomr the big tank, we'll see where I take this. Never done this before.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode