Canister filter recommendations. - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By PlantedRich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Canister filter recommendations.

So I'm going to setup a new 20 gal long hill stream tank but I'm looking for recommendations on a canister filter. Have been thinking about either a sun sun or pennplax.

Will also be running a river manifold with two aquatop pH 8 power heads rated at 145 gph each so roughly 290 gph total so I don't need anything huge.

I'd like something about 200 gph or under and try to keep it around 120-80 dollars for budget. Any experience or other recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 03:01 AM
Planted Member

My guess would be a Fluval 206. Might even be on sale now they just announced (released?) the "x"07 series.

- - - - - -
29g Freshwater
30" Finnex Planted+ 24/7
Fluval 206 Canister
Paintball CO2
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 06:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I tend to buy bigger than needed as it is simple and easy to cut flow down while very difficult to impossible to get more without rebuying. Flow on this is close to too high and many might want smaller but I do find I tend to get larger tanks and flow does cut down as the media gets dirty, so "too big" is okay for me and this is one that sells for 40-75 depending on what media is included. Flow tends to varty a whole bunch, both in how much I want and how much it works in different tanks with different plants and decor. Open tanks with small plants don't block flow and it can shoot all the way across but when I get things stuffed with plants, rocks and wood, things slow down a bunch. When I find too much, I stick a sponge on the intake to slow it down. Sunsun does use a thinner plastic but then I find I work careful and don't break very much and then if I do the parts are so much cheaper that I feel I can replace something if/ when I do break it.
Immortal1 and varanidguy like this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 07:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

FWIW I use a SunSun on my 40 breeder and haven't had any major problems with it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 07:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'd go with the Cobalt E X T, which has a different design than most canisters, and is incredibly easy to maintain. Has flow of 220 gph, I think, and is $116 at Amazon. I have five of them -- only canister I use these days.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 02:39 AM Thread Starter

Sorry I was a little confused what filter you were talking about PlantedRich, were you referring to the sunsun? Ive heard a lot of good but a few horror stories. Any issues so far?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 12:45 PM
Algae Grower

Just picked up a Hydor 450 off of ebay for a price i couldn't pass up. I'm just starting this build so i've only just set it up to prepare for a fishless cycle...but i'm impressed so far. The build quality and ease of use are what id hoped for and coming complete with media to start out with was a plus. Initially i was considering a penn plax, but thus far i'm happy i gave hydor a shot

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode