Adjusting Solenoid for Stable CO2 - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 04:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil8 View Post
I've been wondering, and I'm sure I'm not the first person, how the blue Moonlight setting effects the fish? I can automate this on my 29 gallon low tech tank, but not on the other aquariums (yet).
The answer will be different for different fish types as they do react a bit different to lighting. I don't do moonlight as such but use light in somewhat the same fashion by adding separate lights on different timers so that the light fades out in stages rather than all at the same time.
I find some of my African cichlid types like to go to the dark places like under large leaves, etc. when they sense the lighting going down, while others may gather in a small group and stay in the open, higher light areas. I assume this is genetic and related to how they feel about predators. I do know that some worry more about birds while others are more concerned with being eaten by other fish, so how they feel about light will vary.
This is an old picture as the last light is still on and the larger Protomelas types are still up in the light, while all the smaller mbuna types are gone to cover:
Attached Images

evil8 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 04:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
The moon light I am refering to is not blue.
It is just a lower setting on my LED pucks.

I've used blue in the past and seen no ill effects toward phish.
evil8 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 07:02 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
I don't do moonlight as such but use light in somewhat the same fashion by adding separate lights on different timers so that the light fades out in stages rather than all at the same time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland Guppy
The moon light I am refering to is not blue.
It is just a lower setting on my LED pucks.
Interesting! Thanks.

Don't make things too complicated. Try to relax, enjoy every moment, get used to everything. - Angelique Kerber

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 07:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I do a fair amount of remod construction work and come into the small round puck lights like used under cabinets and that leads to me using them as tank lights which can be varied and worked on timers very easy to get different stages of light. I use wood canopies on most of my tanks and part of that is the ease of choosing a variety of lighting and being able to hide it under the canopy. Lots of it winds up having a weird assortment of wires, fixtures and timers but I do like the ease of changing it all around without having much invested in one specific type/style of fixture. Some promote the idea of saving money on energy by going to LED but then when I look at the upfront cost versus the pretty low, long term price of electricity, I like to have it flexible.
evil8 likes this.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil8 View Post
I've been wondering, and I'm sure I'm not the first person, how the blue Moonlight setting effects the fish? I can automate this on my 29 gallon low tech tank, but not on the other aquariums (yet).
Ive read it does well for spawning in SaltWater. unsure about fresh tanks. I speculate it is used for navigation at night as well

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode