150 Gallon Planted Aquarium Help. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
150 Gallon Planted Aquarium Help.

As per the subject I have a 150 gallon planted aquirium. I was originally aiming towards a self sustaining ecosystem, requiring no need for a filter. I had it set up perfectly and almost ready for the fish. The plants have made their roots and was in "Jungle Status" with shrimp and snails thriving and no visible algae forming.
Then came the problem with the substrate. I was dumb and put in organic soil on top of sand and rocks. As you can imagine, bad idea. Now I have sand, rocks and then black diamond sand. Everything is perfect, plants starting growing again, even though there is only about 25% of the plants of what used to be there left. I am trying to get more plants since losing 75% of them (any suggestions of nice colorful plants I can add are appreciated, more appropriately I want a good carpeting plant so suggestions for that are also appreciated).
Either way I am thinking of getting a canister filter because I have some worms (specifically like 10 tubifex worms I can see). My question is should I get a filter, as is it really needed with heavily planted tanks? If I do I am going to medicate the water to kill the worms, or is there another solution to get rid of these guys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 04:07 PM
Algae Grower

I have never dealt with these worms but i would filter the tank with at least a fluval 407 (the newer model it is rated to up to 100 gallons) but i would recommend the Fx4 i love mine on my 135.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 11:58 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Don't medicate for small "worms", guessing its the thin white ones, around 1cm in length? Had those as well in almost all my startups. They will disappear when the tank finds its balance and some of them will most likely do their thing underground.
Though running a tank without filter is some advanced stuff I would think, not seen that many with good results for any longer periods? Not impossible though with the right plant choice, like pond plants etc. Guess you will have to mimic something in the wild.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 04:32 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

150 Gallon Planted Aquarium Help.

If had worms in my tank i would definitely medicate for that, as I am very conscious of compromising my own health.

Things like cyano bacteria, parasites and black mold are all things that can be in/on/around aquariums and I have had my own health affected by them. (A lot of allergy and and sinus issues that led to surgery)

Do your research as snails are very sensitive could be harmed by the the anthelminthics in in most de worm meds. Triple Check

15 tall
with pressurized c02 jebo 828 , 9w turbotwist uv. up-aqua co2 atomizer16/22
& small yoyo and striata loaches and praecox rainbows.

Last edited by BOTIA; 04-19-2019 at 07:03 PM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode