CO2 suggestions - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
CO2 suggestions

I have a 7g tank that I would like to add CO2 to, I was going to go with the Ultum Nature systems single gauge regulator but can't find it in stock anywhere so looking for other suggestions for a small CO2 set up.

Can't wait to have a beautiful tank running again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 07:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

@Jlstuver The regulator you are looking at is not very good. It is a single stage with no way to see what your tank pressure is. You will not know if your tank is running low until it is too late (EOTD [End Of Tank Dump]). The SMC needle valves are much too coarse for a 7 gallon tank as well. I would advise spending a bit more for something more suitable.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaScape View Post
@Jlstuver The regulator you are looking at is not very good. It is a single stage with no way to see what your tank pressure is. You will not know if your tank is running low until it is too late (EOTD [End Of Tank Dump]). The SMC needle valves are much too coarse for a 7 gallon tank as well. I would advise spending a bit more for something more suitable.
Ive seen several people use them and love it but it doesn't matter its not in stock. So what would your suggestion be?

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 08:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlstuver View Post
Ive seen several people use them and love it but it doesn't matter its not in stock. So what would your suggestion be?
I may be the wrong person to ask as I have never bought a RTR regulator assembly. I am more of a build your own kinda guy. I am hoping that some people chime in and give you some suggestions.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaScape View Post
I may be the wrong person to ask as I have never bought a RTR regulator assembly. I am more of a build your own kinda guy. I am hoping that some people chime in and give you some suggestions.
I haven't ran CO2 in years as I went to saltwater for the better part of the last 10 years but when I did if I remember correctly we built our own. Im just not familiar with things these days, any recommendation for a regulator?

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 09:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I'm a build it guy as well, so will throw some thoughts. I find nothing seriously wrong with using single stage as I do things to avoid leaving leaks or letting the tank run fully dry. So my method is to go with a single stage, "beer reg" style as a reasonable alternate and then pair it with the better quality solenoid and needle valve which is where we really need quality to get fine control on smaller tanks.
Seems backward to lots of thinking but small tanks need finer control as there is much less tolerance for error. Things like a bit too much CO2 can show to kill fish much quicker in smaller amounts of water!
Any chance there is a homebrew supply near enough to drop in and pick up something like this as it would avoid shipping?

https://www.austinhomebrew.com/Tapri...16_p_4709.html
Then pair it with this kit of solenoid and needle valve:
https://www.diyco2regulator.com/co2-...body-kit-1-12v

Not cheap but it gets you in at near $150 and does give the best quality solenoid to avoid overheating, etc,. trouble later and the needle valve is "good enough" for what I do without spending the much bigger bucks or lots of time fighting to search out some of the alternates and possibly making a few errors that cost money.
Lots of alternates but this is one that works and can save lots of heartburn along the way!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 09:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

@Jlstuver I recently found a really good deal on a compact 2-stage regulator. If you search the words Miniature Two Stage Regulator High Purity Gas on FleaBay, you will find it. It would be a great starting point. I have already done a couple builds based on this model. Page 11 and 12 of this thread goes into some details on one of the builds.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 09:50 PM
Algae Grower

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWiser View Post
I really like this set up. This would be all I need and it can hook to a standard paintball tank correct?

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 10:18 PM
Algae Grower

Apologies if this is hijacking the thread, but I'm also looking some months ahead to when I'll be ready to replace my DIY citrate/soda CO2 system with a pressurized system. I'm looking at something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0041YLM7G...v_ov_lig_dp_it but am suspicious of the quality. I am in an isolated enough area that I want to use tanks that don't need recharge more often than once every couple of months. I'm not keen on assembling the regulator myself.

It's a 55-gallon tank.

I'd also be interested in suggestions.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgbudge View Post
Apologies if this is hijacking the thread, but I'm also looking some months ahead to when I'll be ready to replace my DIY citrate/soda CO2 system with a pressurized system. I'm looking at something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0041YLM7G...v_ov_lig_dp_it but am suspicious of the quality. I am in an isolated enough area that I want to use tanks that don't need recharge more often than once every couple of months. I'm not keen on assembling the regulator myself.

It's a 55-gallon tank.

I'd also be interested in suggestions.
You're just fine I hope you can get some suggestions

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 11:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I've made my suggestions on what I like, so perhaps I can point to some things that I don't like as well, without seeming to just be a nag? I know there is a fine line between info and nagging but when we are new I find it worthwhile to get down to the details on things that may not be obvious at first. My suggestions do not mean that other things will not work but I would like to point new folks to some of the details as those small points are often the ones which do give us the most trouble with the CO2.
The reg body itself is rarely the thing that fails us first as it is a pretty simple thing when we get down to looking at single stage regs. Basic design is that there is a diaphragm that finds a balance between the gas pressure from the CO2 tank and a spring which we adjust with some type of screw to set the outgoing pressure. Pretty simple and not much goes wrong if things are not truly abused.
But the small parts? They can be a real bad deal so we need to look closely at those. The "gate" (solenoid?) that turns the CO2 on/off is one that can gives lots of heartburn and fail way too soon if it is not a good one. There is the basic "black box" that is often found on ready made units but they can have some real problems as they use a standard method. There is a small pellet of metal that slides inside a small tube when the electro- magnet is powered. To be tight enough to hold gas, that fit has to be tight and that can become a problem due to the long time period we power the solenoid as it can get hot enough to dry any lube and then it may make the parts swell and they stick, either open or closed. The amount of power used is an indicator of how much heat will be generated much like a 60 watt bulb gives more heat than a 25 watt. I think there is kind of a general idea that 7 watts may be too much while 4 watt is workable. I like the Clippard Mouse series as it only uses less than a watt (.67) to move a tiny metal "spider" rather than sliding a pellet. Something like a reed valve, if you are familiar with small engine work. They should last nearly forever in our use.
Lots of info from Clippard here:
https://www.clippard.com/downloads/P...%20Catalog.pdf
The needle valve is the next point where we may need to go for more quality. Several things are involved in making truly good valve for our use. Along finely tapered needle moved in a precision hole with precise threads will give a really fine adjustment while a short stubby needle made from cheaper metal and course threads is kind of like sticking your thumb in a hole to control flow. Hard to set it to 3 bubbles per second versus four! And the cheaper ones tend to move as the gas cuts on/off, so that it requires more fussing to keep it steady. The better quality valves have "drag" built in so keep the setting from drifting.
Not all ready made are bad and many find them good enough but just some points to consider.
Buying a CO2 setup is expensive but it can make it even more expensive to buy a cheap one and find you want to replace it within a short time as it is driving you crazy!!
No perfect answers but some points to look over when shopping! It's a trek, for sure.
Tannerleo likes this.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

@PlantedRich Thanks for all the info! I don't particularly want to make one from all parts I would just annoy my husband lol but I don't want to end up buying something and hating it either. What are your thoughts on the GLA PRO paintball regulator mentioned above?

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 12:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
How about the CO2 ART DUAL STAGE PRO for $118 shipped? It's dual stage but at that price I'd suspect something is going to be lower quality...assuming that would be solenoid and/or needle valve. But I guess it could get you started and those parts could be upgraded later.

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/product...-pro-regulator

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 12:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlstuver View Post
@PlantedRich Thanks for all the info! I don't particularly want to make one from all parts I would just annoy my husband lol but I don't want to end up buying something and hating it either. What are your thoughts on the GLA PRO paintball regulator mentioned above?
Well, All my "good ideas" are turning out to be not so good! I was looking at buying the parts from the site I mentioned and screwing them together for you,, BUT the needle valves are listed as out of stock, so that big idea is shot! The really nice part of getting the parts from them is that it avoids a pretty overpriced shipping charge from Fabco and Clippard as well as searching out all the small parts. But if they don't have it, that idea is gone, for sure.
I have not used the one you ask about but I think of it as "okay", though not the best solenoid and I really can't see enough of the needle valve to know what is under the plastic cover. I read reviews here that people do seem to like them, though. Being a guy who likes to screw things together, perhaps I'm too "high class" with what I want in my equipment!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode