• 1 Post By 25cube2019

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
uMc
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
Silicone for fish tank

Hi Everyone,
can someone please recommend me one? i need to reseal the thank. how long it takes for it fully dried?
Thanks
Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 06:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have used this Aquarium Silicone Sealant | AAP, Dow Corning 100% | Fish Safe with good results. I have also used GE silicone I from the hardware store. I liked the AAP/Aquarium Sealants better because it dried more clear and bonded better with the glass.
After 1 year the GE had some alge creep under the silicone, the AAP/Aquarium Sealants did not. This is why I assumed it has boned better.
uMc likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 06:57 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Depending on the temperature, humidity, and type of silicone, it takes about 24 hours for it to cure.

Surface prep is important - the glass needs to be absolutely clean for a good bond.

As for the type - many work, but if the glue is exposed to the water by all means avoid silicone with -cides in it (fungicide, algicide, whatnotcide).
GraphicGr8s and uMc like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 04:29 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
You can used GE silicone ( from Lowes or Home depot) just make sure it not the one that have stuff to prevent molds
DaveK likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 03:37 PM
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
Depending on the temperature, humidity, and type of silicone, it takes about 24 hours for it to cure.

Surface prep is important - the glass needs to be absolutely clean for a good bond.

As for the type - many work, but if the glue is exposed to the water by all means avoid silicone with -cides in it (fungicide, algicide, whatnotcide).
Just to expand on that a tad bit just because it says 100% silicone does not mean it won't contain those "cides".

I've used, and so have many others here, the GE 1. For greater strength I use the Dow 795 as that is what Disney uses for there systems. Plus it's a help that it sticks to slate given I love to refurb Metalframe tanks.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode