4Likes
  • 2 Post By Ken Keating1
  • 2 Post By PlantedRich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Turning off Eheim everyday to treat algae

Every day, I turn off my 2 Eheim Pro4e 350s to spot treat BBA with Excel. Been doing this for awhile now and it just occurred to me that I may be putting too much wear and tear on the filter?

Is this an issue or am I worrying over nothing?

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 04:55 PM
KZB
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I personally leave my filter on when spot treating. Never experienced any I'll effects from it. Another option is using h202 instead of excell. I find it more mild, and less harmful to the fish. Just keep in mind having good circulation while doing it. Good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Just keep swimming Just keeping swimming" -Dory
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 07:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
The way the Eheims are designed with the ceramic sleeve shafts, starting and stopping is not going to be an issue. I stop and start mine 2-3 times a day for feedings to prevent food from entering the filters, and no problems yet.
Doogy262 and aubie98 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 12:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
No harm at all to the filters as the impellers are setup on the shaft so that they are not actually expected to be touching anything. Not quite actually true in real life as we usually expect to have some algae build up in the well but stopped/starting is not a problem except for one really big thing. If we get really carried away and leave the filter off, the good bacteria will die if not getting O2, so be aware of not leaving it off overnight or long enough to lose too much of the good stuff?
Leeatl and aubie98 like this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
No harm at all to the filters as the impellers are setup on the shaft so that they are not actually expected to be touching anything. Not quite actually true in real life as we usually expect to have some algae build up in the well but stopped/starting is not a problem except for one really big thing. If we get really carried away and leave the filter off, the good bacteria will die if not getting O2, so be aware of not leaving it off overnight or long enough to lose too much of the good stuff?
I accidentally did leave 1 of the filters off overnight once and now im practically religious about making sure i turn them back on.

but good to know that there's no mechanical detriment to turning the filters on and off.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 12:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You are correct to turn filter off when treating . The Excel , H2O2 , needs to sit on the BBA to be effective . I do the same when treating for BBA . I let the treatment sit for 10-15 minutes then turn filters back on . Works every time . It will not harm the filters to turn on and off .

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So, here's something weird. One of the filters is now not turning on to full flow. Eheim pro4e have a flow regulator that you can turn up or down; when turned up all the way a orange indicator light turns on. I've always had both filters at full blast, but now, one of the filters only goes up to ~80% flow.

If I electronically decrease the flow and then increase it, I can get the display to indicate full flow, but then after a couple of minutes, it goes back down to 80%.

Edit: the filter that's running at lowered flow is the one with my co2 inline diffuser on its outflow. I'm guess there may be a blockage and the filter is automatically detecting the resistance and decreasing flow accordingly. I'll clean the lines here in a week or so and test this hypothesis.

Last edited by aubie98; 02-20-2019 at 12:42 AM. Reason: added text
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 01:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
If I remember how the flow meter works on those, it is not a "smart" item but more just a meter with no control function. If the tubing and any restriction there has not been changed, I might guess that when shut down, something got into the path and slows it down. That "something" could be as simple as algae built up in the tubing which falls down and sticks when it might have been more "flowing" along the tube with the water. Or just for the fun of it, there could be some small part of the hard media that has gotten dropped and rolling around in the tubing! That last one about drove me up the wall as it was there when running but I could not see it as it would hide where I couldn't see it until I finally took the tubing totally off the tank and to the sink to run water through it and it popped out.
If it has been long, maybe it is time to do the "deep cleaning on the tubing to see how much you can swab out. I have a small nut tied on a string to drop down through tubing and then tie a bit of rag just big enough to force in the tubing and "saw" it back and forth to scrub the inside. Lots of ways to go at the job but I've not found the fun one yet.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 01:24 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubie98 View Post
So, here's something weird. One of the filters is now not turning on to full flow. Eheim pro4e have a flow regulator that you can turn up or down; when turned up all the way a orange indicator light turns on. I've always had both filters at full blast, but now, one of the filters only goes up to ~80% flow.

If I electronically decrease the flow and then increase it, I can get the display to indicate full flow, but then after a couple of minutes, it goes back down to 80%.

Edit: the filter that's running at lowered flow is the one with my co2 inline diffuser on its outflow. I'm guess there may be a blockage and the filter is automatically detecting the resistance and decreasing flow accordingly. I'll clean the lines here in a week or so and test this hypothesis.
Was going to say that I think that the orange light is the service indicator. I think that you're right. It's supposed to have some ability to sense reduction in flow and adjust in order to try to maintain the set flow rate.

Edit to add link to manual:

https://www.eheim.com/resources/prod...onel%204e+.pdf

See the "system messages" on page 5 (of the PDF, not as numbered) shown as 9 A-E. Then look on page 13 of the PDF (or page 8 of the English instructions) for what the combinations of various lights mean. So, for example, 1-3 green bars + the yellow down arrow + the orange light lit means "B 1. Adjusted flowrate not possible and / or 2. flowrate smaller than 50%"

Last edited by Mike A.; 02-20-2019 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Add link
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, I went back and read the separate pro4+e manual and it states that the filter will detect flow obstruction and adjust the filter output to maintain the user-set flow, but that would entail the filter actually working harder to maintain the flow, to to decrease flow due to resistance.

Looks like I'll be calling Eheim support tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike A. View Post
Was going to say that I think that the orange light is the service indicator. I think that you're right. It's supposed to have some ability to sense reduction in flow and adjust in order to try to maintain the set flow rate.

Edit to add link to manual:

https://www.eheim.com/resources/prod...onel%204e+.pdf

See the "system messages" on page 5 (of the PDF, not as numbered) shown as 9 A-E. Then look on page 13 of the PDF (or page 8 of the English instructions) for what the combinations of various lights mean. So, for example, 1-3 green bars + the yellow down arrow + the orange light lit means "B 1. Adjusted flowrate not possible and / or 2. flowrate smaller than 50%"
Thanks! I'll try the troubleshooting steps before calling support. I cleaned the filter a few weeks ago and I wonder if I didn't set the filter baskets in completely straight or flush.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 03-02-2019 at 04:13 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 03:18 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
You should figure out why you have algae and treat accordingly.

There are many wise people on this forum that can help.

Just post all pertinent info about your tank.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 07:29 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Make sure your nitrate and phosphorus is above 0, and that your co2 is at 30 ppm when the light comes on.

Second cause of bba is food or fish poop sticking around in dead spots. Bba loves sitting on the edge of dead zones in my experience. By a small jebao ow-10 powerhead to assist in flow if needed.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by caique View Post
You should figure out why you have algae and treat accordingly.

There are many wise people on this forum that can help.

Just post all pertinent info about your tank.
Upon initial start up of the tank ~5 months ago, I had my 2 AI Primes set too high and got a smallish outbreak of BBA. Reducing the light intensity got most of it under control, but there are little pockets of it here and there. So, I'm spotting treating to kill what I see when I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddrizzle View Post
Make sure your nitrate and phosphorus is above 0, and that your co2 is at 30 ppm when the light comes on.

Second cause of bba is food or fish poop sticking around in dead spots. Bba loves sitting on the edge of dead zones in my experience. By a small jebao ow-10 powerhead to assist in flow if needed.
Nitrate is 10-20, Phosphorus is 0.5 -1. Not sure what co2 is precisely, but I get ~0.8 point drop in pH and drop checker is lime green. As for flow, it definitely might be an issue; I've got 2 eheim 2074s running on the tank, so quite a bit of flow, but there are areas that may be getting lower flow due to cross-currents or the tank being very heavily planted.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode