HOB to Canister - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
HOB to Canister

I have a 40g breeder that's heavily planted. It has an aqueon 30, aqua-tech 10-20 and a sponge filter rated for 25 gallons. Here's my current occupants: I have 5 platys, 4 sumatra kuhli loaches, 8 guppies, 4 white skirt tetra, 6 adult bronze corys, 5 baby bronze corys, 5 zebra danio, 2 nerite snails, 3 dwarf won rainbowfish, 3 amani shrimp, 5 ghost shrimp, and about 30-40 each kind juvenile Ramshorn and pond snails.

I was looking at an Eheim pro 4+ canister filter to switch to. I want to know if the canister filter by itself is enough. I know most people say to aim for 8-10◊ in gph compared to tank size. However, only the really expensive canister filters from what I see hit that 8-10◊ mark for my tank. Could someone suggest what would be my best course of action and what other filters would be good besides Eheim. From my research, I like the media Eheim has inside and it is German made which having German heritage makes me partial to it. I don't want to keep spending and upgrading filters for my same tank over and over. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 06:13 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I run a 350e on my 37 and it works fine. Different tank dimensions and will depend on how you have the returns set up but with two spray bars in mine it's too much turned all the way up. Still plenty at half way. They're good filters. No real complaints that I can think of. A little more hum when running than my Fluvals but wouldn't call it noisy. They give you a ton of media with them. Not a real big fan of the little plastic coils that they use for the first coarse media layer myself but it works OK and doesn't clog up to reduce flow. Bottom line, I'd buy another.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 12:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I used to run HOB exclusively in the past, and have now switched everything over to canisters. What really matters is harnessing the beneficial bacteria and the flow in the aquarium. The flow itself is not the filtration of the water, but the movement of it. Also remember that a lot of beneficial bacteria live all over our tanks, not just in a filter.

That being said, pick a filter that you like, one that you will clean and maintain. The biggest and most expensive filters are not always the best. I do not have any experience with Eheim canisters, so I cannot give specific feedback there.

What I will say is when you do setup the new canister I would leave the sponge filter and one of the HOB running for a while until the new media inside the canister has been seeded and is growing BB. Although a lot of BB is all around the tank, and sudden drop in them by replacing the filter could potentially cause problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 08:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
I would go with the Eheim pro+ 600 add a power head if you need to once you get a full tank of plants.

They are on sale at Big Al's for $219

Just checked and Amazon has them for $214

I have read that the pro 4s are a step down from the pro 3 I have 4 G160 and they are awesome.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike A. View Post
I run a 350e on my 37 and it works fine. Different tank dimensions and will depend on how you have the returns set up but with two spray bars in mine it's too much turned all the way up. Still plenty at half way. They're good filters. No real complaints that I can think of. A little more hum when running than my Fluvals but wouldn't call it noisy. They give you a ton of media with them. Not a real big fan of the little plastic coils that they use for the first coarse media layer myself but it works OK and doesn't clog up to reduce flow. Bottom line, I'd buy another.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbins48 View Post
I used to run HOB exclusively in the past, and have now switched everything over to canisters. What really matters is harnessing the beneficial bacteria and the flow in the aquarium. The flow itself is not the filtration of the water, but the movement of it. Also remember that a lot of beneficial bacteria live all over our tanks, not just in a filter.

That being said, pick a filter that you like, one that you will clean and maintain. The biggest and most expensive filters are not always the best. I do not have any experience with Eheim canisters, so I cannot give specific feedback there.

What I will say is when you do setup the new canister I would leave the sponge filter and one of the HOB running for a while until the new media inside the canister has been seeded and is growing BB. Although a lot of BB is all around the tank, and sudden drop in them by replacing the filter could potentially cause problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caique View Post
I would go with the Eheim pro+ 600 add a power head if you need to once you get a full tank of plants.

They are on sale at Big Al's for $219

Just checked and Amazon has them for $214

I have read that the pro 4s are a step down from the pro 3 I have 4 G160 and they are awesome.

Thanks for all of your input! I ended up getting a Marineland Magniflow 220 as I had a gift card to Petco from Christmas. It's normally 149.99 and was on sale for 89.99! Used entire gift card on it, but totally worth it not paying for a canister filter!!

In the future should I get a bigger tank or another 40g breeder, I'll definitely look into the suggested brands. I'll have to save up for an Eheim. Thanks again!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode