• 1 Post By Greggz
  • 1 Post By chayos00
  • 1 Post By AndreyT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Inline pump needed with high head height

Hey folks, thanks in advance for the help! I'm setting up an RO storage system in my garage for water changes for my display tank that's in my den, as well as running a line up through my attic and over into my second garage where I keep a 100g tank and 4 20g QT tanks. The display tank aspect isn't what's in question, it's the high run up into my attic and over to the other garage that is in question.

My garage is about 11' up into the attic and then about 50-100' over to the other garage, then it will again drop down about 5-10' from the ceiling down to the tanks I'll be using it for filling back up. I'm using 1" PEX plumbing for the long line which as an ID of about 0.875". Using an online calculator https://pentairaes.com/pump-calculator With the 0.75" tubing size selected, as it's closer to the 0.875" than the 1" the real ID is for the PEX.

Factors used in calculator:
100' tubing
0.75" ID
4 90į fittings
7 GPM Flow rate
TOTAL Head Height = 22.3'

Just came across another calculator and this lets me put in the exact nominal pipe size, but minus the fittings.
100' tubing
0.875" ID
7 GPM Flow rate
TOTAL Head Height = 17.9'
@0.75 = 25' Head Loss

So with these attempts at trying to figure out how much of a head height I need for a pump, that rules out MOST of the affordable pumps I was looking at the Hydor Seltz D - Varia Flo 3200 that a firend pointed out, as he's got the smaller 1600 and says it's working well for him. However it's got a max head height of about 16'.

I also came across this pump on Amazon Alpine PAL6550 6550GPH Cyclone Pump @ 15' 2896GPH, @20 1659GPH, and @ 25' 422GPH. Now these numbers look like they ought to work and Amazon reviews are kinda hit and miss.

So does anyone have any thoughts on a $200ish inline external pump that should be able to do a decent head height that would only be used about once a week just enough to transfer about 100-200g a week?

300g 8' acrylic aquarium acquired, in process to build/setup/plan setup

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Current plan is to order a PanWorld 200PS. Looks like it should give a good flow at a high head height. If flow is too much, it appears you can use a ballvalve to turn down the flow up to 60% before it becomes too much of a restriction.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 08:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Another option are the Iwaki Pumps, Model's MD-70RT or MD-100RT. I'm pumping from a RODI shed to the 2nd floor using the MD-70RT pump and at the aquarium flow is 3 GPM. These are high quality pumps, expensive, but I purchased mine used off of **bay for less than $200. If you want info on these pumps PM me with an email address and I'll send the curves and other info.
chayos00 likes this.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 09:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I take it you can't get a pump into the holding tank? Sure would make it a lot cheaper.

And will you be aerating or providing some flow in the holding tank? The reason I ask is that if you are going to dose for GH, some flow is a good thing to have to fully dissolve the Mg/Ca.
chayos00 and Immortal1 like this.

---
---
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Keating1 View Post
Another option are the Iwaki Pumps, Model's MD-70RT or MD-100RT. I'm pumping from a RODI shed to the 2nd floor using the MD-70RT pump and at the aquarium flow is 3 GPM. These are high quality pumps, expensive, but I purchased mine used off of **bay for less than $200. If you want info on these pumps PM me with an email address and I'll send the curves and other info.
I was only looking at the pumps on the BRS website and the Iwaki pumps were about $100 more for the 70RT, vs the PW 200PS. So that was the main reason for looking at the PanWorld pump, Iwaki were the first I was looking at though, till the price of the pumps became WAY more than I wanted to spend. However I never thought of checking out fleabay for pumps. I mean, heck it's just a once a week used item that I need to work, vs every day. (Off to check out the flea of bay's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
I take it you can't get a pump into the holding tank? Sure would make it a lot cheaper.

And will you be aerating or providing some flow in the holding tank? The reason I ask is that if you are going to dose for GH, some flow is a good thing to have to fully dissolve the Mg/Ca.
I have an 8" opening at the top of the tank, so I wasn't really thinking of putting a pump inside the tank. Plus unless I was to find a sump pump, most submersible pump's don't have quite the head height needed. For the tank, I was thinking of putting a bulkhead in the top and running a T into that tank for mixing the water. Plus not sure if an air pump would be needed, but would be a cheaper operating cost vs running a 200-300w pump for 24hrs to keep thinks mixed. Unless I put it on a timer for like 15 minutes every hour to give it a stir. However there's also the need for a heater, so maybe having an air stone or a powerhead in there moving the water around might be a good idea.

Damned cost of this project just keeps going up and up! LOL
Greggz, Immortal1 and Ken Keating1 like this.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 10:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

For what it's worth, here is the pump I use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Water goes from basement up about 14' to the tank (Pex piping). Now it doesn't go far once it's up there, only about 20', then into the tank. But you don't need much force to move it laterally.

Works great. Pump is sitting in the holding tank full time. Have a switch at the tank, so easy to operate. Especially to top off evaporation during the week.

And you probably do want some flow in the tank. If you pump in a bunch of water with no oxygen, could be rough on the fish. I run a heater, but just turn it on 24 hours before my usual water change. And that CaSO4 does need to be mixed in to dissolve fully.

I've got powerheads running full time in my holding tanks. Might be overkill, but I like the idea of freshly circulated flowing water.
chayos00 likes this.

---
---
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
For what it's worth, here is the pump I use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Water goes from basement up about 14' to the tank (Pex piping). Now it doesn't go far once it's up there, only about 20', then into the tank. But you don't need much force to move it laterally.

Works great. Pump is sitting in the holding tank full time. Have a switch at the tank, so easy to operate. Especially to top off evaporation during the week.

And you probably do want some flow in the tank. If you pump in a bunch of water with no oxygen, could be rough on the fish. I run a heater, but just turn it on 24 hours before my usual water change. And that CaSO4 does need to be mixed in to dissolve fully.

I've got powerheads running full time in my holding tanks. Might be overkill, but I like the idea of freshly circulated flowing water.
You really have me wondering how I could setup a sump pump like yours into my tank. If I could get inside mine and connect the output to the 2" drain fitting on the tank I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I looked on fleabay and nothing in a big enough size for Iwaki or PanWorld that didn't cost near the price of new when shipping was included. I may wait till BRS has some Black Friday deals like I did with their RO before getting a pump.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 03:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

That Superior Pump is 7" wide.......might be able to drop it in there.

I've got a garden hose dropped into the tank, then adapters to go to the Pex.
chayos00 likes this.

---
---
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
That Superior Pump is 7" wide.......might be able to drop it in there.

I've got a garden hose dropped into the tank, then adapters to go to the Pex.
I noticed it was a bit narrower than the ones I saw on the Home Depot website. Those are 7.8" wide and these at 7", so that's a bonus. However I'd rather hard plumb something so I could use a bulkhead as the cap is a screw on with a vent in it. Granted I'm not the best at it all, but I would like to try and keep everything as clean and "finished" looking as I can. However I do like how that pump can get down to 1/2" from the bottom where the drain on this tank leaves several inches of water in the tank.

Just need to think of how I could get possiblity do it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Greggz likes this.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 07:12 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The title says "inline pump". What did you mean by that? What is "inline" pump and how is it supposed to be different from "non-inline" pump?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post
The title says "inline pump". What did you mean by that? What is "inline" pump and how is it supposed to be different from "non-inline" pump?
An inline pump is an external pump that is inline in the plumbing versus a submersible pump that is usually connected as a starting point for your plumbing. At least this is how I'm understanding things.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 07:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chayos00 View Post
An inline pump is an external pump that is inline in the plumbing versus a submersible pump that is usually connected as a starting point for your plumbing. At least this is how I'm understanding things.
OK, got it. Makes sense.

I periodically come across people who insist that "inline pump" implies a specific linear form factor, kinda like inline Hydor heaters: water enters at one end and exits at the other, with cylindrical pump body in between oriented along the water flow.
chayos00 likes this.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post
OK, got it. Makes sense.

I periodically come across people who insist that "inline pump" implies a specific linear form factor, kinda like inline Hydor heaters: water enters at one end and exits at the other, with cylindrical pump body in between oriented along the water flow.
That's funny, I wouldn't say it's form factor, but it's location in the plumbing more so. Yeah those heaters are inline, as they are in the middle of the plumbing, not in a tank heating the water, but more so heating water inline via the plumbing path. Either way, eh... LOL

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Glad I waited to see if BulkReefSupply would have the needed PanWorld 200PS pump on sale for black friday. Which they just went with a site wide 15% off, so I placed my order for the pump and paid $250 vs the $295 original price! HEHEHE Shipping estimate shows delivery on the actual Black Friday!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode