• 1 Post By Asteroid
  • 1 Post By Asteroid
  • 1 Post By Igor95

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Better Co2 flow

How can I better my co2 flow without blowing the plants all over the place in my tank? I currently have the filter output in the front left, and a koralia 240 pump in the back right. The flow from the filter hits the right side good, but the rotala in the left corner struggles, and I've been forced to put the pump on the right side, but it's too much. The ludwigia sp. rubin is even bent from the flow, and the limnophila started getting deformed leaves from the hard flow until I moved it. Any suggestions? Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 11:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I use two filters on my 75 gallon. Output and input of one filter in one corner and same thing in the opposite corner.

Bump: I use two filters on my 75 gallon. Output and input of one filter in one corner and same thing in the opposite corner.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarley View Post
I use two filters on my 75 gallon. Output and input of one filter in one corner and same thing in the opposite corner.

Bump: I use two filters on my 75 gallon. Output and input of one filter in one corner and same thing in the opposite corner.
I want to avoid buying a second filter. Plus I don't have much room under the stand anyways.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 02:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I do not recommend a second filter, due to expense, and the added hassle of more to clean. I use filters for filtering but powerheads for adding flow and I favor giving the flow small bumps, rather than one large kick which may be too strong in one place and still not reach the far end.
Koralia are great but I find the small, cheap powerheads that I get for near $7 off the auction fit me better. In a 75, I may tuck several into the decor to hide but do the small boosts that I want.
I want to keep the leaves shaking but not pulled out of the ground!
Chisel out a hole in a small chunk of wood and hide a powerhead to blow out the backside?
Frank158 likes this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 03:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor95 View Post
How can I better my co2 flow without blowing the plants all over the place in my tank?
Just curious, what makes you think you need better CO2 flow?
Asteroid likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

------------------
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 04:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

You're going to get a lot of approaches to the circulation pattern issue. To @Greggz point, if you are uncertain about CO2 dispersion, try placing a drop checker at different points in your tank to see if it is consistent.

I have a 29 gal and I approach flow by rolling the tank up from the bottom of the back, across the top toward the front and down the front wall. I do this with a filter output wand placed at the bottom rear of the tank and pointed straight up along the back wall. I also have added a Koralia 240. I place this in one of the back corners and have it pointed straight up so it hits the surface and creates turbulence just short of breaking the surface. It sits about an inch below the surface. I could see your using one in each of the back corners for your tank size, if using this configuration. doing this results in no plants being constantly pushed, but gentle movement of all plants can be observed.
Greggz likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 05:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
This and the plants look pretty healthy. The left corner where the rotala is looks pretty dim. Is that the pic or does that light not hit there. The rotala looks very leggy which is usually a sign of inadequate light. What is the light and spread?
Greggz likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I guess I worded that wrong. What I meant to say was that the powerhead is too strong, you can see the ludwigia sp. rubin bent from the flow over time. If I don't use the powerhead, the flow doesn't get back to the other side. I need to move the co2 to the back left corner without the plants flying around so much. Especially when the background grows in over time, I'll have to remove the powerhead.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by asteriod View Post
This and the plants look pretty healthy. The left corner where the rotala is looks pretty dim. Is that the pic or does that light not hit there. The rotala looks very leggy which is usually a sign of inadequate light. What is the light and spread?
It's a fluval 3.0 sitting in the middle of the tank. I'm aware that the light isn't hitting the corner the best, but I tried to run 2 lights and the fish freaked out, turned pale and started breathing fast in the corner. I turned it off. I'll try to ease in the light again probably. I can supply plenty of co2/ferts, it's a matter of light, at least with the rotala. The stems look nice and compact towards the top, but the mid/bottom growth is spaced out and rotting at some points. A bit of topic, but yeah, I'm aware of the lighting issue and I'm working on it. If running 2 lights won't help, I'll move the rotala into a different tank, and replace it with something different.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 07:23 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

@Igor95

The only reason I mentioned the Rotala is because you stated it was struggling due to possibly flow, but your response confirmed my thoughts. It's just too dark there with a light in the middle of the aquarium. You have healthy plants growing not to far from it, the flow doesn't magically just stop.

I honestly wouldn't worry about flow and I'd be more concerned about getting even light over the tank. The swaying of plants isn't a necessity it's just a way to visually see flow. The only way to know is if your providing everything the plant needs and it's not working and then you up flow. As you pointed out correctly, too much flow can have negative effects on plants. Most of these plants we grow come from pretty stagnant ponds and lakes. Plants can do well in aquariums with various amounts of flow. It really doesn't take much to move dissolved nutrients/co2 around a tank.
Greggz likes this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 08:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I guess I worded that wrong. What I meant to say was that the powerhead is too strong, you can see the ludwigia sp. rubin bent from the flow over time. If I don't use the powerhead, the flow doesn't get back to the other side. I need to move the co2 to the back left corner without the plants flying around so much. Especially when the background grows in over time, I'll have to remove the powerhead.
Yeah, plants bending over is not what you want.

Again, not sure how you know CO2 isn't getting to the back left corner. Agree with above that lack of light there is bigger issue. LED's are very directional and PAR drops off quickly when not right directly under the light. You might consider something that needs less light in those spots.

As to flow in general, my own opinion is that it is sometimes misunderstood. I've taken efforts recently to actually decrease my flow. Plants seem happier when not being blasted, and some algae's thrive right where flow is the strongest.

Personally I've always used two filters on larger 75+ tanks. Lot's of reasons, but you will never be sorry you have too much filtration.

But all in all, the tank keep looks better and better. Lot's going on right there.

------------------
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Yeah, plants bending over is not what you want.

Again, not sure how you know CO2 isn't getting to the back left corner. Agree with above that lack of light there is bigger issue. LED's are very directional and PAR drops off quickly when not right directly under the light. You might consider something that needs less light in those spots.

As to flow in general, my own opinion is that it is sometimes misunderstood. I've taken efforts recently to actually decrease my flow. Plants seem happier when not being blasted, and some algae's thrive right where flow is the strongest.

Personally I've always used two filters on larger 75+ tanks. Lot's of reasons, but you will never be sorry you have too much filtration.

But all in all, the tank keep looks better and better. Lot's going on right there.
Thanks a lot Greggz. I turned off the pump for today, the right side of the tank is misty with bubbles and the left side has none, which is why I figure the left side doesn't get as much. I want to scrap the rotala honestly. I'll see what else I want to replace it with.
Greggz likes this.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 12:39 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Thanks a lot Greggz. I turned off the pump for today, the right side of the tank is misty with bubbles and the left side has none, which is why I figure the left side doesn't get as much. I want to scrap the rotala honestly. I'll see what else I want to replace it with.
If you don't want to "fix" the light situation, you could always go lower light in the corner. A cryptocoryne spiralis wouldn't mind a little shade, for example.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
If you don't want to "fix" the light situation, you could always go lower light in the corner. A cryptocoryne spiralis wouldn't mind a little shade, for example.
I added the 2nd light over the tank, and trimmed the rotala tops and tossed the bottoms. The fish freaked for a bit but got over it after 20 mins.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode