Hydor Inline Heater on FX6 - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By RLee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hydor Inline Heater on FX6

Has anyone ever installed a Hydor Inline Heater to their FX6/5 hosing before? The size of the ends of the Hydor are obviously only meant to fit smaller cannisters, and not the large hoses of the FX models. I got a couple extra rubber hose connectors from my 406 that actually fit inside the FX hoses very snug. Figured I could rig it up with that, and maye a little silicone and clamps to finish. Any other suggestions out there? PS: Please ignore the PVC cement in the pic, its for something else! lol

Somethin fishy goin on here? No, everything's burgery. - Jim Gaffigan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 03:51 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiQuiD SmoKe View Post
Has anyone ever installed a Hydor Inline Heater to their FX6/5 hosing before? The size of the ends of the Hydor are obviously only meant to fit smaller cannisters, and not the large hoses of the FX models. I got a couple extra rubber hose connectors from my 406 that actually fit inside the FX hoses very snug. Figured I could rig it up with that, and maye a little silicone and clamps to finish. Any other suggestions out there? PS: Please ignore the PVC cement in the pic, its for something else! lol

I would install a tee reducing the 1" into 2 5/8" hoses 1 for the heater and one as a bypass. If you run all the flow through the heater is is gonna be highly restrictive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tee.png
Views:	262
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	868771  

LiQuiD SmoKe likes this.

Last edited by RLee; 09-11-2018 at 04:53 AM. Reason: add
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLee View Post
I would install a tee reducing the 1" into 2 5/8" hoses 1 for the heater and one as a bypass. If you run all the flow through the heater is is gonna be highly restrictive.
Wow thanks. Im very novice when it comes to any form of plumbing. So you think the outflow would be hindered by flowing into the heater?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 12:49 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Wow thanks. Im very novice when it comes to any form of plumbing. So you think the outflow would be hindered by flowing into the heater?
Yes absolutely, what size tank are you working with? Some that use this filter on large tanks like to split the outlet into 2 anyway so they can customize flow pattern through the tank.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 12:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
I was just looking at this. I wasn't thinking of getting one but it would be out of the tank and away.
If I get this it would go on an eheim 2215. I'd love to know how you like this heater.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLee View Post
Yes absolutely, what size tank are you working with? Some that use this filter on large tanks like to split the outlet into 2 anyway so they can customize flow pattern through the tank.
This is for a 125g. Im posting the build currently HERE under general discussion because for some reason I was having issues trying to start the thread under tank journals.

The default output nozzle on the filter is a dual head, but I prefer spray bars personally. My output plan is to have it run through a 3ft DIY spray bar to have even flow throughout the tank.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by furnfins View Post
I was just looking at this. I wasn't thinking of getting one but it would be out of the tank and away.
If I get this it would go on an eheim 2215. I'd love to know how you like this heater.
I read a tremendous amount of great reviews on this heater and have been wanting to try it for a few years now. I just get worried about leaks with the thought of splitting the line to install.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 11:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
This is for a 125g. Im posting the build currently HERE under general discussion because for some reason I was having issues trying to start the thread under tank journals.

The default output nozzle on the filter is a dual head, but I prefer spray bars personally. My output plan is to have it run through a 3ft DIY spray bar to have even flow throughout the tank.

Bump:

I read a tremendous amount of great reviews on this heater and have been wanting to try it for a few years now. I just get worried about leaks with the thought of splitting the line to install.

Testing the flow will help illustrate them amount flow loss. Setup the filter on the tank like you would normaly but have the out going into a 5 gallon bucket. Turn it on and use a stopwatch function on your phone to time how long it takes to fill. Then test with the heater inline. From there you can figure out gallon per hour and the difference between.
As for leaks with the bypass, make sure to use teflon tape on the threads and hose clamps on the hose. No leaks!
I have been using the Hydor In Line Heater for almost 10 years straight, works well. I would recomend getting rid of the plastic red clamp nuts and use regular hose clamps. The red plastic nut broke into pieces a few years after installing. Fortunately the hose did not pop off so no harm.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode