2Likes
  • 1 Post By Immortal1
  • 1 Post By Igor95

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Koralia 425

Is a Koralia 425 too much flow for 20g long?

20G long / Finnex Planted + / Marineland C-160 / Tunze Regulator / Fluval Bubble Counter / Cobalt Neo-Therm Heater / Koralia 240 / Rhinox Drop Checker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 10:11 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
If that was your only means of circulation, it may work (assuming you have like a sponge filter). If you have a HOB filter, it would likely be a bit much.
natemcnutty likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 02:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Depends on how the tank and powerhead is set up. I have a 20 long and powerhead but it is in a tall wood item to scatter the flow.
If flow is too strong, I add something to deflect or split the flow. Sometimes it is as simple as letting it shoot straight into the side of a big old sword. Other times I like to put it near the bottom, behind something and let the flow go up where it spreads out in several directions.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
If that was your only means of circulation, it may work (assuming you have like a sponge filter). If you have a HOB filter, it would likely be a bit much.
I'm currently running a canister; that's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Depends on how the tank and powerhead is set up. I have a 20 long and powerhead but it is in a tall wood item to scatter the flow.
If flow is too strong, I add something to deflect or split the flow. Sometimes it is as simple as letting it shoot straight into the side of a big old sword. Other times I like to put it near the bottom, behind something and let the flow go up where it spreads out in several directions.
I'd like to put it in a corner, mainly directed at the top of tank, to keep the water agitated. I don't have room for a Spray Bar, and my Seio 320 isn't doing that good of a job....not really impressed with it.

20G long / Finnex Planted + / Marineland C-160 / Tunze Regulator / Fluval Bubble Counter / Cobalt Neo-Therm Heater / Koralia 240 / Rhinox Drop Checker
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 02:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenig44 View Post

I'd like to put it in a corner, mainly directed at the top of tank, to keep the water agitated. I don't have room for a Spray Bar, and my Seio 320 isn't doing that good of a job....not really impressed with it.
So much depends on what we each have in tanks and what we may want in them. I like to have lots of places for fish to duck behind or in to hide if they feel spooked and that often means I like something like a rock or wood leaned against the side or corner. so that gets me into strapping the powerhead to the backside, pointing up or left and right to move the water different directions than just straight from the powerhead. If it runs up the back of something solid, it will often spread out in kind of a fan shaped flow that I like better than blowing all in one direction.
I'm finding some of the softer tiles like travertine that come in small (expensive!) pieces are handy for attaching things as they are easier to drill or cut and still not take up much room since they are so thin. When they have to show, I'm into gluing a bunch of plants like Java fern to cover them. Once I got Java fern and moss going, I have a pretty steady diet of trimmings to spread out to cover the uglies!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 11:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenig44 View Post

Another option could be adding a surface skimmer, whether integrated into the canister intake or a standalone unit. This not only cleans the surface and creates some agitation, it can also create a bit of flow. I see the Eheim 350 skimmer recommended all the time.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 11:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Yes, the 425 would be too much. Especially in a planted tank. Go with the 240. I have both the 425 and 240 in my 75G for flow/agitation and it's good for plant sway. Would be too much for a 20g
Koenig44 likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode