From HOB to canister, is now the time to switch? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
From HOB to canister, is now the time to switch?

So, I set up my tank 5 days ago. I decided a wanted an HOB, or so I thought. I have a 20G Nuvo with a fluval c4 HOB. Plenty of GPH for my setup. It’s dead silent, and does a nice job of filtering the tank. I have ran fluval HOBs in my past before my 5 year hiatus and always loved them. I had a fluval 206 years ago and also loved it.

I wanted an HOB for the ease of it for this tank.. and because I was biased. I since have looked and decided I would prefer a canister.

I want to order a sun sun 302. It’s essentially the same flow rate and my current c4.

My question is, is now the time? I could stick with an HOB and change it out later, but I feel like now may be the time? I have no fish current, I won’t for a couple weeks. My tank is still cycleless. It’s in the process of working itself through the Amazonia soil. Is now better than later? I could order a sun sun and filter media and literally take my c4 sponge and bio rings and throw them in. Y canister with other media and change them out with no consequences correct? As opposed to later down the road, having to run both filters for a couple weeks, etc etc?

I don’t like spending even MORE money this month, since I went HAM on my setup all at once.. heh. But, I would rather spend it now and get it out of the way now if it’s easier on me in the long run AND better for my livestock, since they will be here by the time I make a switch later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 08:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Now is the time, definitely, before you add livestock. You could wait, keep the HOB running and add the canister so they're running in conjunction. After several weeks, you could remove the HOB. But I'd do it now. I'd also consider a higher quality canister, SunSun canisters can be hit or miss from what I've seen/heard. I run Eheim Classics exclusively, love them. Have 2x 2213 and 1x 2217, never had an issue.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 12:52 AM
Planted Member

Sun sun really is iffy. I've had a number of them and I don't think any of them lasted a year. I got a fluval 405 when they first came out, and it still works.....you get what you pay for with canister filters.

In regards to you swapping over, if you plan to put the media from you HOB into your canister then there is no need to keep both. But if you do not put it in there then you should keep both otherwise you will prolong your cycle.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 03:01 AM
Algae Grower

https://aquaforestaquarium.com/produ...glass-pipe-set

Thatís what you need. Need, I tell you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Haha as much as I love and support ADA haha, no thank you.

Those look amazing though.

Thanks for the advice. I see where people come from about quality. However I have felt in my experience filters are simply over priced in general, because they can, because it’s a canister.. not an HOB, so why not?

I decided to give the sun sun a try, I normally do not buy into cheaper things, but after so many positive reviews, for 55 bucks, I’m willing to give it a whirl. If it doesn’t work out, then I’ll invest in an eheim.

I ordered it and all my media. I’ll be using my bio max from my c4 and I’ll throw in the sponge as well.

My media is going to be as follows:

Bottom:
coarse sun sun 302 sponge x 2
Marineland bonded pa100 pad x1

Middle:
BioMax from c4 and seachem matrix

Top:
Marineland bonded filter pa100 x1
Purigen 200-300ml
100 micron filter pad x1

Is this going to be too much flow restriction with the finer pads?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 06:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
A point often overlooked is that you CAN actually afford to buy the parts if you ever need to replace things on the Sunsun, whereas I find the price of parts for the Ehiem to be near the cost of buying a whole new Sunsun filter.
Part of the question has to depend on how you run with equipment. If you are one who breaks things, go with the Eheim but you will miss out on the newer features of the Sunsun lineup. However, if you are one who works slowly and does not "tear up the anvil", the Sunsun has lots of good features.
Ceramic shaft- wears very much longer than steel Also an Eheim point but the cost of replace an impeller in both will show a big difference.
Baskets for media-not on the Eheim Classic but more on the $150-200 price group
Nicer grey in/out plastic with a builtin surface skimmer. I swap out my Eheim plastic for the Sunsun as it is cheap enough to do that for the added features.
Nothing wrong with either but I do prefer the added benefits of the Sunsun in several models. All things do wear, so I suggest looking at replacement parts as part of the process.
Sunsun impeller, shaft, and bushings complete around $10
Eheim impeller alone around $20+

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode