From HOB to canister, is now the time to switch?
So, I set up my tank 5 days ago. I decided a wanted an HOB, or so I thought. I have a 20G Nuvo with a fluval c4 HOB. Plenty of GPH for my setup. It’s dead silent, and does a nice job of filtering the tank. I have ran fluval HOBs in my past before my 5 year hiatus and always loved them. I had a fluval 206 years ago and also loved it.
I wanted an HOB for the ease of it for this tank.. and because I was biased. I since have looked and decided I would prefer a canister.
I want to order a sun sun 302. It’s essentially the same flow rate and my current c4.
My question is, is now the time? I could stick with an HOB and change it out later, but I feel like now may be the time? I have no fish current, I won’t for a couple weeks. My tank is still cycleless. It’s in the process of working itself through the Amazonia soil. Is now better than later? I could order a sun sun and filter media and literally take my c4 sponge and bio rings and throw them in. Y canister with other media and change them out with no consequences correct? As opposed to later down the road, having to run both filters for a couple weeks, etc etc?
I don’t like spending even MORE money this month, since I went HAM on my setup all at once.. heh. But, I would rather spend it now and get it out of the way now if it’s easier on me in the long run AND better for my livestock, since they will be here by the time I make a switch later.