Flowmeter Mounting - The Planted Tank Forum
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Flowmeter Mounting

So up to this point I have yet to mount my Dwyer flowmeter. I know, I should have it mounted and true, and shame on me for not doing it yet! I see there are 4 little screws on what seems to be a mounting plate, but I figured I would ask the people who have flowmeters: how do you mount yours?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 09:10 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
2 straight brackets and screws

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OreoP View Post
2 straight brackets and screws

Any chance you remember what type of screw? Normally I could take it to the hardware store, but its running and all... haha

And by the spec sheet online I am not sure...

|

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 10:00 PM
Suspended

Try some 10/32 machine screws.. (RMA, VFA,VFB)
Bracket thickness and "maybe" 1/4 more ..
1/4- 20 (RMB)
and 3/8-24 (RMC) are your other options

you can tell which is which by hole spread, amongst other dimensions..see "C"
http://www.dwyer-inst.com/images/RM_DD.pdf
Grobbins48 and Grobbins48 like this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

Last edited by jeffkrol; 05-31-2018 at 10:05 PM. Reason: edit
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 10:04 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
The screws should've come with the flow meter in the bag with the two U shaped brackets. Im pretty sure they are 1/4 20, might be 10/32

I made a bracket for mine out of light gauge sheet metal, basically the same way OreoP's is mounted

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 01:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Darn shouldn't have read this. Now I've got to mount mine properly after over 2 years of using it.

Embarrassed to say I just have mine attached the CO2 tank with velcro. Gotta up the mounting game now!!

---
---
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll grab a couple screws and mount it up. Maybe even post an after picture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Darn shouldn't have read this. Now I've got to mount mine properly after over 2 years of using it.

Embarrassed to say I just have mine attached the CO2 tank with velcro. Gotta up the mounting game now!!

Ha velcro is exactly what I tried first, but didn't work out as I had planned... sorry to add more work to the hobby!
Greggz and Greggz like this.

|

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 01:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I favor Velcro for things that may need to come down to clean or just to get it out of the way when I'm changing tanks. Two strip of adhesive backed Velcro to slap it on the side of the stand upright! The side of the CO2 tank is one nice spot for Velcro.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Velcro will work for my 29 gallon tank which is where the 5# CO2 sits, but my 55 is a few feet away and I keep the flow meter on that stand.

Only downfall really of velcro on the tank is when you need to swap the tank. I am sure after a couple times the stickiness runs out... small problems, ha!

|

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 02:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I made a little wooden slip to fit in the metal bracket and then glued an arm to it.

burr740, burr740, OreoP and 3 others like this.

Blue Moon Rising!!!

My Journal -

(Retired)
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCFC View Post
I made a little wooden slip to fit in the metal bracket and then glued an arm to it.

Did those brackets come with your flowmeter? I feel like the new one I bought did not, and my other one is used.

|

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 02:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

@Grobinns48 - they did come with the meter, but they aren't really being used. Just using the screws would accomplish the same thing. I just used the brackets because I had nowhere else to put them haha
Grobbins48 and Grobbins48 like this.

Blue Moon Rising!!!

My Journal -

(Retired)
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 04:39 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCFC View Post
I just used the brackets because I had nowhere else to put them haha
That's what I did with mine too, lol. I knew they'd either get lost or I'd have no idea what they went to a year from now
MCFC and MCFC like this.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 05:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Mine is mounted similar to OreoP, just used right angle brackets and the screws that came with the flow meter.

What is shocking about this thread is all the great mounting solutions everyone has come up with...and then there is Greggz. I would've thought he would have created a custom mount out of carbon fiber in a waterproof housing connected to a digital readout that projected on his wall.
Greggz, Greggz, burr740 and 5 others like this.

Tank Journal -
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 08:47 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwindansea View Post
Mine is mounted similar to OreoP, just used right angle brackets and the screws that came with the flow meter.

What is shocking about this thread is all the great mounting solutions everyone has come up with...and then there is Greggz. I would've thought he would have created a custom mount out of carbon fiber in a waterproof housing connected to a digital readout that projected on his wall.
More shocking or embarrassing would have been if he used duct tape...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode