Oase Biomaster In America - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 09:27 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
Couldnít you crank it to say 84-86 degrees and attach it to a thermostat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes. The heater power cord is separate from the power cord for the filter motor.
varanidguy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 12:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Couldnít you crank it to say 84-86 degrees and attach it to a thermostat?

Yes, good point, @varanidguy.
varanidguy likes this.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 02:04 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Excellent thank you for the feedback! The reason interested in the accuracy of heater is am thinking of putting on my 60 gallon discus tank. Needs to be able to hold temperature above 82 degrees.

Couldn’t you crank it to say 84-86 degrees and attach it to a thermostat?

What do you mean exactly? Attach it to a thermostat?

post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 03:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoulter View Post
What do you mean exactly? Attach it to a thermostat?

An external temperature control device. Something like an Inkbird.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 10:17 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

- BioMaster series FOAM tray tips.

The media trays with Blue foam can actually fit the Oase orange tighter PPI foam (2x orange stacked make up for the one Blue foam block).
The trays with blue have a bypass GAP near the tray edge. Once orange foam is in the original BLUE tray there is not much of a gap. You'll see.

I think there are people modifying the PreFilter for more intake without the restriction. Some BioMaster users are reporting a choking action on the intake if the fine prefilter is not serviced soon enough.
The main pump will be asking for more flow.

Also, there are adjustable dials on the intake/outake which tweak flow ratios.
The pump runs at full power, but by slowing the flow (by restriction it), the water may build pressure inside and that leads me back to the Bypass GAPS in those Blue trays.

Thermo users report damaged heaters, which may be due to users not using the correct prefilter in harmony with service times.
People are starting to wonder if the lack of service (pre-filter cleaning) leads to the reported gulping for air sound that may introduce a zone where the heater is slightly UNsubmerged.
This may lead to a glass heater vs air issue.
Not a bad design, just some attention to tank loads vs running it with tight original foam in the PreFilter.

Oase sells 3 prefilter foams. Black, blue, and the open orange.
**Either we run tight prefilter foam and get to the prefilter sooner, or find the right harmony of foam layering throughout to make this Biomaster series run correctly to match each personal tank.

The filter is built very well, and even Eheim double-tap QD hose connectors can be introduced for users that still love them.
The filter mod ideas are starting to come in as this filter is gaining popularity in the states as well as the UK.
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 11:15 AM
Planted Member

https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/...-filter.41568/

Here is the Oase thread on Ukcaps
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 04:46 PM
Algae Grower

I bought the 600 thermo model and did every modification suggested by the Pimp my Filter guy.

-replaced the 1/2" intake pipe within the prefilter chamber with larger diameter 3/4" pipe and drilled larger and more holes. In addition, replaced finer foam with the coarser blue foam.

- I moved the orange medium foam from the top to the bottom chamber( first chamber after pre filter) and topped that with finer filter media, last one being 100 micron. So now flow goes through course, medium, and the fine before hitting bio media.

-in the middle trays I replaced the sponges and plastic bio material with Hydroton clay media. And in the top tray another layer of mechanical. A layer of carbon pad or poly filter is an option here too.

- finally I drilled larger holes in the spray bar.

Some caveats. So far it's working great but its only been seven weeks. I'm sure I increased the flow substantially but I did not measure it; I do plan on doing that. Also, some have questioned whether Hydroton is an efficient bio media, but I've had success with it and it's dirt cheap and widely available. I can tell you that it cycled my new Amazonia Light/ power sand 50 gallon tank in 2.5 weeks with the help of some seeded Hydroton from another tank. I am monitoring Nitrates closely. So far readings are staying steady at 25-30.

Regarding the heater, it works well and holds a steady temperature. I think the mods may have made the filter a little noisier; their is a humm.

Did I make it better with my mods? I'm not sure yet, I don't have enough experience with different cannisters to say, it's the first one I've owned. I've been a reef/ sump guy for the past couple decades and used a sump on my first planted tank. All in all, I'm happy with it so far.
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

When servicing this filter it is a good idea to unplug the heater and let it cool off before unplugging the main filter. Hot water damage to the baskets could occur even though the heater has a thermostat. I think this is also the case with normal inline heaters as they could make the tubing soft from the filter being turned off and potentially cause a leak over time. This was not the issue with Eheim thermo-filters as the heater and pump were on the same power cord.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode