Oase Biomaster In America - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 12:26 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I like the filter but the prefilter looks like it would clog fast .

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 12:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aku Sakana View Post
Anybody using one of these ? I found a few youtube videos and it seems like alot of sponges and not much bio . How's the flow after 4 weeks ?
Bio media nowadays is extremely efficient. You do not need to add 10lbs of stuff to a canister. Marine pure and brightwell xport bio is really good. One 1.5 inch cube of an xport bio block is enough for a heavily stocked 20g. Using this stuff plus a lot of sponges will keep the water crystal clear.
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 07:23 PM
Algae Grower

if you go to ukaps.org and search forums on oase you will see that they also have problems I was ready to buy until talking to other members on that site about them

post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 12:55 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
Bio media nowadays is extremely efficient. You do not need to add 10lbs of stuff to a canister. Marine pure and brightwell xport bio is really good. One 1.5 inch cube of an xport bio block is enough for a heavily stocked 20g. Using this stuff plus a lot of sponges will keep the water crystal clear.
How would you set one up to handle a 150g? CAN just one handle 150g?
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 01:11 PM
Algae Grower

Depends on your bioload but you would need a power head for sure. Most people run 2 smaller filters and a power head but with the ability to clean just the prefilter on the biomaster you may get enough filtration.

post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 01:15 PM
Algae Grower

I'm thinking of using the 600 on a 120 with a power head but my bioload will be low . I don't care for the look of an overstocked tank and I'll need another heat also, probably a cobalt 150

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 02:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Anyone tried this filter yet?
Would be so nice to have the heater/filter combination.
Looks like the OASE BioMaster Thermo is now readily available at Amazon and other retail outlets in USA.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 02:50 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Anyone tried this filter yet?
Would be so nice to have the heater/filter combination.
Looks like the OASE BioMaster Thermo is now readily available at Amazon and other retail outlets in USA.
I indeed have one, is there any aspect in particular you were curious about? I wrote a little in my journal. Glad to answer any questions or provide photos of you like.
Discusluv likes this.
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 03:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Oh, thank you.

How is the ease of maintenance? I would clean the mechanical frequently- at least once weekly, is it pretty easy to access?
Has the temperature been accurate?
Flow as expected? Any issues with prefilter clogging quickly?

These are my main questions at the moment.
Much obliged.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 04:30 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Oh, thank you. :-)

How is the ease of maintenance? I would clean the mechanical frequently- at least once weekly, is it pretty easy to access?
Has the temperature been accurate?
Flow as expected? Any issues with prefilter clogging quickly?

These are my main questions at the moment.
Much obliged.
Full disclosure, I've only had it roughly a month, maybe six weeks?

The reviews and YouTube videos often talk about how easy it is to access the prefilter...That's one of the key selling points.

What may not be obvious is that the prefilter chamber is just as tall as the entire filter itself, minus perhaps an inch. Unless you have a very tall stand, you still need to pull the entire cannister out from underneath the stand in order to remove the prefilter. Still not as bad as completely moving the thing to the sink, at least.

So as far as ease of maintenance goes, it is definitely easier. And that's the point, right? Just not a magic pill...

One note, the first time I accessed the prefilter, I didn't fully close off the flow before doing so..., so probably a half gallon of water spilled out. I feel that's a mistake we all make sometime. Lesson learned none the less.

Temperature... I'll be honest, I don't actually monitor my tank water temp 😞 I would like to note though, that the little chamber for the heater seems to be proprietary to Oase. I.e, if this heater fails, I don't think I can fit some random heater in there. Let me know if this is a concern of yours and I can double check when I do maintenance tomorrow or Sunday. I think it is also a 300w heater, AND the "hole" for the heater is there whether you purchase it or not. If you don't purchase it, Oase merely provides you with a cap to prevent leaking.

Flow... You know how we always hear to have 5x the tank size in flow per hour, and also that companies always over-state their flow? The Oase I have is rated to have 350gph and I also have a Sunsun rated at 525gph. The Oase easily does double the rate of my Sunsun. I think Oase is true to their word with 350gph. But that's a complete guess.

For your last question, I haven't noticed my prefilter clog whatsoever, but...... I've also cleaned it every other week (was medium dirty? Sorry for the poor description here) and I also immediately used 30 ppi material (bought this separately... comes with 60 ppi I think). Honestly I'm half-debating putting the finer media back in because of how easy it is to clean.

Let me know if any more questions 🙂 i'm stopping now because I feel like I'm rambling lol

Edit: Btw, this thing has a handle that feels legit sturdy. No worries whatsoever about picking it up while full of water. Good quality materials.
ipkiss and Discusluv like this.
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 05:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoulter View Post
Full disclosure, I've only had it roughly a month, maybe six weeks?

The reviews and YouTube videos often talk about how easy it is to access the prefilter...That's one of the key selling points.

What may not be obvious is that the prefilter chamber is just as tall as the entire filter itself, minus perhaps an inch. Unless you have a very tall stand, you still need to pull the entire cannister out from underneath the stand in order to remove the prefilter. Still not as bad as completely moving the thing to the sink, at least.

So as far as ease of maintenance goes, it is definitely easier. And that's the point, right? Just not a magic pill...

One note, the first time I accessed the prefilter, I didn't fully close off the flow before doing so..., so probably a half gallon of water spilled out. I feel that's a mistake we all make sometime. Lesson learned none the less.

Temperature... I'll be honest, I don't actually monitor my tank water temp 😞 I would like to note though, that the little chamber for the heater seems to be proprietary to Oase. I.e, if this heater fails, I don't think I can fit some random heater in there. Let me know if this is a concern of yours and I can double check when I do maintenance tomorrow or Sunday. I think it is also a 300w heater, AND the "hole" for the heater is there whether you purchase it or not. If you don't purchase it, Oase merely provides you with a cap to prevent leaking.

Flow... You know how we always hear to have 5x the tank size in flow per hour, and also that companies always over-state their flow? The Oase I have is rated to have 350gph and I also have a Sunsun rated at 525gph. The Oase easily does double the rate of my Sunsun. I think Oase is true to their word with 350gph. But that's a complete guess.

For your last question, I haven't noticed my prefilter clog whatsoever, but...... I've also cleaned it every other week (was medium dirty? Sorry for the poor description here) and I also immediately used 30 ppi material (bought this separately... comes with 60 ppi I think). Honestly I'm half-debating putting the finer media back in because of how easy it is to clean.

Let me know if any more questions 🙂 i'm stopping now because I feel like I'm rambling lol

Edit: Btw, this thing has a handle that feels legit sturdy. No worries whatsoever about picking it up while full of water. Good quality materials.
Excellent thank you for the feedback! The reason interested in the accuracy of heater is am thinking of putting on my 60 gallon discus tank. Needs to be able to hold temperature above 82 degrees.

post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 03:45 PM

I've got the Biomaster 250 Thermo. It replaced a six-year-old Rena Filstar XP2, which I hated because it was always developing a leak. I couldn't trust it when I left on vacations.

At any rate, I really like this Oase filter. I've got the heater set at 77, my house is usually between 72-74, and the tank thermometer reads between 76-77 in the farthest corner from the outflow pipes. Not having a filter in the tank really tidies things up. If Oase is right, it also keeps the tank temp more consistent because you're raising the temp of the whole tank, not just the water nearest the heater.

I've also set mine up by getting rid of the blue sponges in the canister, filling those trays with bio media that I had loaded in the trays of my XP2 along with a bag of charcoal I had laying around, and left the fine sponge as the last stage of filtration.

I cannot say enough good things about this filter. I only wish the pre-filter came with a coarser sponge. You can buy 30ppi pre-filter sponges, so that may be in the near future for this. As with all of these filters, the in-flow/out-flow pipes are ugly. However, you can adjust the flow rate on the Biomaster's plumbing.
Discusluv likes this.
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 03:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAquarium View Post
I've got the Biomaster 250 Thermo. It replaced a six-year-old Rena Filstar XP2, which I hated because it was always developing a leak. I couldn't trust it when I left on vacations.

At any rate, I really like this Oase filter. I've got the heater set at 77, my house is usually between 72-74, and the tank thermometer reads between 76-77 in the farthest corner from the outflow pipes. Not having a filter in the tank really tidies things up. If Oase is right, it also keeps the tank temp more consistent because you're raising the temp of the whole tank, not just the water nearest the heater.

I've also set mine up by getting rid of the blue sponges in the canister, filling those trays with bio media that I had loaded in the trays of my XP2 along with a bag of charcoal I had laying around, and left the fine sponge as the last stage of filtration.

I cannot say enough good things about this filter. I only wish the pre-filter came with a coarser sponge. You can buy 30ppi pre-filter sponges, so that may be in the near future for this. As with all of these filters, the in-flow/out-flow pipes are ugly. However, you can adjust the flow rate on the Biomaster's plumbing.
Thanks for the feedback. It doesn't matter, in my case, how unsightly the in-flow/out-flow is. Bottom of my list of priorities. Sounds like the flow, access to filter, and temp control is good-- this filter may be on the near horizon. Thanks again

post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 04:27 PM
Algae Grower

I really like mine as well. You can buy different size foam for the pre-filter if you're having trouble with it clogging prematurely. It does use a proprietary heater, so I bought another one as a spare before I realized that my LFS stocks them! Also, the foam blocks sit in trays, so you can customize them using media bags or by cutting your own foam. I insta-cycled it by replacing the foam in one of my trays with a bag of biomedia from my old Eheim filter.
Discusluv likes this.
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 05:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Excellent thank you for the feedback! The reason interested in the accuracy of heater is am thinking of putting on my 60 gallon discus tank. Needs to be able to hold temperature above 82 degrees.

Couldn’t you crank it to say 84-86 degrees and attach it to a thermostat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Discusluv likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode