Eheim 2080 or 2260? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Eheim 2080 or 2260?

Hi everyone,

Narrowed my search down to the Eheim 2080 or 2260 and maybe 2x 2217. Both are about the same price for me and I have no clue what to choose.

For me the sound output is important. I've had a Fluval FX-6 before that was making a really loud and low hum noise and it had to go. Just in case anyone here ask, it seems the European version is manufactured slightly different, which could be the reason for that really low and loud hum.

The tank is 150x50x50 and is about 120g.

Output: 1700 l/h
Pre filter volume: 1.5l
Filter volume: 25l
Watt: 25w

Output: 2400 l/h
Filter volume: 18l
Watt: 65w

2x 2217
Output: 2x 1000 l/h
Filter volume: 2x 6l
Watt: 2x 20w

I believe the 2080 is really quiet and I couldn't really find any info about the 2260, but I assume it's much louder due the build?

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 05:52 AM
Planted Member

My Eheim Pro 3 2075 is the best canister filter I have owned so I would lean towards the 2080 Pro 3. I like how easy it is to remove the hoses and pull the filter out for maintenance. I have never owned an Eheime classic... there is something to be said for simplicity though.

I picked up a sump off Craigslist about 8 years ago. After running the sump for 6 months I will never go back to a canister filter and haven't. I will occasionally pull out the Eheim Pro 3 for a hospital tank or something and it still does an excellent job but I think sumps are much better filters.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 08:31 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
I had 2 x 2075 on a 120x45x45. Good filters.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 09:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

From experience the professional line is a tad quieter than the classics. If the filters are in a cabinet there won't be a difference.

The professional is also easier to disconnect and clean. Something similar can be achieved with the included taps that come with the classic line, but you still have to remove biomedia to get to the sponges.

The classic line are workhorses. They provide more flow (for the same rating) and have less points of failure. When well maintained they should not be loud. Troubles can include blocked intake, untight connnection (draws air in), hose transmits vibrations in the cabinet which acts as a large subwoofer.

Keep an eye on the hose sizes needed, especially if you want to retrofit with glassware or steel.

I always like 2 filters on large aquariums. You can clean one and keep the other running with intact bacteria. You also get more configuration on the flow pattern. For planted aquariums the other advantage is that you get a weaker flow with the same amount moved. , no need to bend the plants near the filter outlet.

On hiatus till later this year
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
I had 2 x 2075 on a 120x45x45. Good filters.
Darn it.. you are not helping lol

I was also thinking to go with two filters and maybe the 2275 wil be a good one.

So it's either

Output: 1700 l/h
Pre filter volume: 1.5l
Filter volume: 25l
Watt: 25w
Price €329,95

2x 2275
Output: 1050 l/h
Pre filter volume: 0.5l
Filter volume: 6.5l
Watt: 16w
Price: €213,95 ( €428 total )

2x 2273
Output: 1250 l/h
Pre filter volume: 0.5l
Filter volume: 6.5l
Watt: 16w
Price: €163,95 ( €328 total )

I'm leaning toward 2x 2275 , but I believe the rule is 4x aquarium liters, so that would be 1800l. So the 2273 will do too I think, or do you guys say, spend that extra 100 and go for more flow and a bit more filtering? or is the pro 4 not good at all?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 12:14 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
I have a 2273 also and the differences between Pro 4 and Pro 3 are minor. Pay once, cry once. 2 x 2275 would be my choice.
On a side note, Eheim prices in US look to be identical to yours.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 12:15 AM
Planted Member

My biggest problem with the Pro 4 is my Pro 3 has never given me any problems so there has never been a reason to upgrade to a Pro 4. I think others will probably have the same experience... they don't have Pro 4 experience because the Pro 3's last for ever!

I would highly recommend spending the extra 100 and get the two 2275's! A pair of 2275's will give you a lot flexibility for filtering!

Do you not like sumps?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 05:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have the 2275. I'd go with two 2275s as opposed to one 2082. You get more flow plus redundancy, plus have better water dispersion and pickup by doubling the intakes and discharges.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 03:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oughtsix View Post
My Eheim Pro 3 2075 is the best canister filter I have owned so I would lean towards the 2080 Pro 3. I like how easy it is to remove the hoses and pull the filter out for maintenance. I have never owned an Eheime classic... there is something to be said for simplicity though.

I picked up a sump off Craigslist about 8 years ago. After running the sump for 6 months I will never go back to a canister filter and haven't. I will occasionally pull out the Eheim Pro 3 for a hospital tank or something and it still does an excellent job but I think sumps are much better filters.

I would have to agree I have all of the pro 3 series and love them all, you can't go wrong only problem is you can't get the smaller ones g65 g90 or g160.

If anyone knows where they still sell them please let me know.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oughtsix View Post
My biggest problem with the Pro 4 is my Pro 3 has never given me any problems so there has never been a reason to upgrade to a Pro 4. I think others will probably have the same experience... they don't have Pro 4 experience because the Pro 3's last for ever!

I would highly recommend spending the extra 100 and get the two 2275's! A pair of 2275's will give you a lot flexibility for filtering!

Do you not like sumps?
Pro 4's are not as good as the 3's for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Keating1 View Post
I have the 2275. I'd go with two 2275s as opposed to one 2082. You get more flow plus redundancy, plus have better water dispersion and pickup by doubling the intakes and discharges.
2080 has a double intake.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 03-02-2019 at 04:09 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 12:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukydaf View Post
From experience the professional line is a tad quieter than the classics. If the filters are in a cabinet there won't be a difference.

The professional is also easier to disconnect and clean. Something similar can be achieved with the included taps that come with the classic line, but you still have to remove biomedia to get to the sponges.

The classic line are workhorses. They provide more flow (for the same rating) and have less points of failure. When well maintained they should not be loud. Troubles can include blocked intake, untight connnection (draws air in), hose transmits vibrations in the cabinet which acts as a large subwoofer.

Keep an eye on the hose sizes needed, especially if you want to retrofit with glassware or steel.

I always like 2 filters on large aquariums. You can clean one and keep the other running with intact bacteria. You also get more configuration on the flow pattern. For planted aquariums the other advantage is that you get a weaker flow with the same amount moved. , no need to bend the plants near the filter outlet.
My personal experience is a bit different (holy personal anecdote batman!), in that my 2211 and 2213 are dead silent, but my two 2274s definitely have a bit of a hum to them. But, I attribute that to the 2274s being in a small corner cabinet (where they definitely touch one another and their hoses touch the side of the cabinet) that is open in the back. I'm guessing that the acoustics of the situation (open back cabinet in a corner) make the filters sound louder than they are.

But I think I like the 2274s better than the classics based simply on the priming functionality and the hose disconnects.

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode