Looking for More Options for CO2 Diffusion - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 04:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
It is for sure that we each have to sort out what works best for us and that is where we are also very prone to getting the wrong idea! When one of us says one thing works better, we all need to fight the urge to feel offended if that idea doesn't match what we like! Some like carrots and some like broccoli but that doesn't mean the person who likes steak is wrong? We just have to sort out what we like on our plate!
So for getting tubing on I find it easy to heat a cup of water in the microwave and heat the tube that way. Dipping it heats it and also adds some water which lubes it a tiny bit.
I find how the tank is set is one factor in how much we need in circulation. I tend to put lots of big stuff like rock and wood and that stuff sticks up to cut into the flow if I don't add flow. Here I like smaller pumps to avoid a large gush all in one place. I find adding small boosts at more places gets the water, CO2, and debris moved around those roadblocks. Powerheads can be good but like mentioned, everything has a downside. One that I hate on them is that they can come loose and wind up pointing down into the sub where they create a real duststorm and the larger, the bigger mess I have, so I go for the really cheap little ones from the auction for around $7! I like to cut out a spot in the wood and mount the thing solid so that it can't get out of control but that certainly will not work in a neat little tank of opens and small mosses!
So we need to swap lots of ideas, even if they don't work for one tank, they may be just perfect for the next one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 04:35 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
I would love to see that - a motorized driftwood!

Please please no drones in planted tanks.

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 05:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahud View Post
I did not realize that the picture was of your tank when I first read your post. Very nice tank. I hope my bolbitis fills out as nicely as yours did in that tank. The one reason I am stressed out over flow is that I was told bolbitis needs lots of flow to do well. I have a lot of stems right now because I needed plant mass, but I hope my fern type plants fill in and eventually dominate the scape.
Thanks, The bolbitis is usually up in the water column so I never had any flow issues with it since it's usually pretty close to a spray bar or return. With that being said, with ferns in general it's very important to have very clean water. This will prevent organics from building up on them and getting BBA or other algae. I really haven't had a tank where their was a deficiency on one side vs the other due to poor flow. I'm really not sure if bolbitis needs more flow then other plants.

post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 07:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
I have no experience with the in-tank diffusers. However, I have the same issue with my Griggs reactor in that I need to empty of water every time I clean the canister filter in order to get everything flowing again. This happens even if I pre-fill the canister with water after cleaning. Unfortunately I do not have the space to invert the reactor as PlantedRich suggested. It is not the worst thing in the world but it is a pain and I have about 2 hours of air bubbles in the tank afterwards.

I've been contemplating building a Cerges reactor for this reason, but the design is no where near as simple/fool-proof as the Griggs reactor.
Greggz and Greggz like this.

Tank Journal -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwindansea View Post
I have no experience with the in-tank diffusers. However, I have the same issue with my Griggs reactor in that I need to empty of water every time I clean the canister filter in order to get everything flowing again. This happens even if I pre-fill the canister with water after cleaning. Unfortunately I do not have the space to invert the reactor as PlantedRich suggested. It is not the worst thing in the world but it is a pain and I have about 2 hours of air bubbles in the tank afterwards.

I've been contemplating building a Cerges reactor for this reason, but the design is no where near as simple/fool-proof as the Griggs reactor.
How is your reactor ran? Canister filter?

It is the worst thing in the world for me hahaha. Once a week wrestling the inflow/outflow lines from behind the tank, under the stand, back through the stand doors, yada yada.
post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 07:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Hmm all these co2 trap issues seems to be the fault of not enough flow going into the reactor. More flow = more pressure = better breakage of the bubble.
post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 01:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
@gus6464 - This is a pretty common issue for many different people. I know personally I have more than enough flow in my tank from the canister filter. I could go larger but it would also be complete overkill for my tank. My reactor is 3" diameter PVC and approximately 20" tall. I've had the same issue with both a Hydor 350 and an AquaTop FZ9. Here is an older picture, but the basic setup has not changed at all.

Tank Journal -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I moved over to the diffuser today. I really like it! The pressure needed was around 10-30PSI depending on the depth that I moved it.

Question, should I see bubbles spreading across the tank completely? I was playing around with the filter outflow trying to get an even dispersion of flow. But the whole length of the aquarium did not have bubbles. I would assume a lot of the bubbles dissolve anyway?

Last edited by ahud; 05-16-2018 at 01:21 AM. Reason: clarify
post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Just wanted to update. The diffuser is working great. I'm still dialing in the CO2.

I ordered two of the JARDLI diffusers. One worked great, the other did not. I tried cleaning the second one, but it still only allowed bubbles out of one small area. I emailed JARDLI and they refunded me my money no questions asked for the faulty diffuser. I bought a replacement and it is perfectly fine. Good customer service! I did not even have to send the faulty unit back!
post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 06:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I personally think gus is right, I've never had to flip my reactors over or drain them or stuff like that (4 24" reactors, 2 by nilocg and 2 diy). I have fixed it by fixing the problem for me, which was the flow was way down (cleaned the canister filter... the sump return pump has never had an issue). My hydor 350 seems to have a permanently reduced flow, I would never put a reactor on it, I don't know if yours is the same. (The flow is definitely reduced from when I first got it by a significant amount and it seems no matter how much I clean it and brush out all the pipes and everything it never gets near what it was originally.) I've never used the aquatop.

I don't think you have to see bubbles everywhere, maybe you can try moving the diffuser around the tank as well as the filter outflow? Or is it an inline diffuser?
post #41 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I don't run a canister, so the reactor was independent of filtration. I debated between trying a stronger return pump, but I did not want to commit more money. The diffuser is getting the job done and frankly, I like the look. Maybe its because it gives me an ADA feel haha. Amano is the reason I am trying the high tech side.

I'm doing weekly water changes anyway, so it's not really much extra work to pop off the diffuser and replace it with a clean one.
post #42 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 07:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
@ahud

Glad it's working out for you. Sometimes just a simple in-tank diffuser plus you could "see" it working is the way to go....
post #43 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 07:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahud View Post
Just wanted to update. The diffuser is working great. I'm still dialing in the CO2.

I ordered two of the JARDLI diffusers. One worked great, the other did not. I tried cleaning the second one, but it still only allowed bubbles out of one small area. I emailed JARDLI and they refunded me my money no questions asked for the faulty diffuser. I bought a replacement and it is perfectly fine. Good customer service! I did not even have to send the faulty unit back!
Jardli makes some decent glassware. I broke my glass surface skimmer and bought a Jardli to replace it. It's pretty good quality, especially for the price.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode