Looking for More Options for CO2 Diffusion - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 01:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
I think I spent around $20 last time i bought one. Mostly been running small tanks of late with the really small ones that are like 3 for $12 and they work fine.

Look like the JARDLI get's good reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N2LZOCE..._t1_B074MKPS23

Not sure what you budget is, but it's good to have two of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I bought the JARDLI. If it works as planned I'll order a second one to swap out for cleaning. I appreciate your help HouseOfCards and everybody that chimed in.
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 02:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Sounds good, have you used glass diffusers before?

post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
Sounds good, have you used glass diffusers before?

No, I have never used one. I went straight to the reactor. Been using CO2 for all of three weeks at this point haha.
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 02:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
A couple points if you should want to try the reactor idea again? I find it a mistake to add the CO2 any place but as near the top as practical as it does create a space for a large bubble and splashing. We vary from the original design at our own peril?
For the reprime question, I find I need to leave the reactor loose at the bottom and placed somewhere that allows it to be strapped loosley to the stand. The loose strapping allows me to swing the bottom of the reactor up to clear the air/water out of the canister and reactor after I have done cleaning of the filter. Makes the canister priming or restart go better.
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
A couple points if you should want to try the reactor idea again? I find it a mistake to add the CO2 any place but as near the top as practical as it does create a space for a large bubble and splashing. We vary from the original design at our own peril?
For the reprime question, I find I need to leave the reactor loose at the bottom and placed somewhere that allows it to be strapped loosley to the stand. The loose strapping allows me to swing the bottom of the reactor up to clear the air/water out of the canister and reactor after I have done cleaning of the filter. Makes the canister priming or restart go better.
Thanks Rich. Maybe my pump is too weak to push the water without the aid of a siphon? I tried laying the reactor horizontal, vertical, tilted, etc. Basically, anything to avoid the hassle of wrestling the tubing back from behind the tank and under the stand. But no matter what I tried I only got a small trickle of water coming out of the return until I drained and restarted via siphon. I think I followed the original design except for being able to find the fitting at the bottom with 3/4" side port. I had to use use a T with 1" and then reduce it down to 3/4".
post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 03:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahud View Post
No, I have never used one. I went straight to the reactor. Been using CO2 for all of three weeks at this point haha.
Might be obvious, but maybe not. When you attach tubing to the stem of the diffuser always go straight down over the stem, don't go side to side or twist since the stem is weakest that way and you can break it. When you remove tubing for cleaning push straight down and then up that will break the seal.

Depending on the tubing used, many times i heat the end with a lighter to soften it and it goes onto the stem easier and seals better.
sdwindansea and sdwindansea like this.
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Might be obvious, but maybe not. When you attach tubing to the stem of the diffuser always go straight down over the stem, don't go side to side or twist since the stem is weakest that way and you can break it. When you remove tubing for cleaning push straight down and then up that will break the seal.

Depending on the tubing used, many times i heat the end with a lighter to soften it and it goes onto the stem easier and seals better.
Thank you, I'll keep that in mind when installing the diffusers. Especially the tip about heating up the end. Several reviews stated they snapped stems, but it was not an issue if you're careful.

What is your cleaning procedure? And is there a trick to dialing in the optimal PSI? I went ahead and bought two diffusers...figured it would make more sense to go that route.

I currently have a Koralia powerhead in the tank, but its too powerful to aim at the substrate. So I may have to buy a smaller powerhead to circulate the bubbles. Any tricks you use to blow the bubbles around?
post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 03:34 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Quote:
I bought the JARDLI. If it works as planned I'll order a second one to swap out for cleaning. I appreciate your help HouseOfCards and everybody that chimed in.
Could you please post the cracking pressure once you install it? Thanks!
post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
Could you please post the cracking pressure once you install it? Thanks!
What is cracking pressure? I have heard the term with check valves.
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 03:42 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

Quote:
What is cracking pressure? I have heard the term with check valves.
I might have used the wrong term. The regulator's working pressure at which co2 bubbles start coming from the diffuser.
post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
I might have used the wrong term. The regulator's working pressure at which co2 bubbles start coming from the diffuser.
Understood. I figured that's what you meant, but was just making sure. I'll update for sure. Honestly, its hard to find information on these diffusers now unless you seek out old old threads. A ton of threads I went through had the OP ending up going to a reactor.
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 03:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

The ceramic diffusers have a pretty wide range when it comes to working pressure. Many of the atomizers, etc all need high pressure to work. I have them working from 20 to 60 working pressure. Whether you use a reactor, in-line atomizer, or in-tank diffuser they all work, evidenced by countless tanks, but sometimes one is better for someone else under certain circumstances.

Cleaning them is just 50/50 bleach/water dip for like an hour or more (that's why two comes in handy and if you eventually break one.)

I don't use powerheads, never found any "real" reason to do so. In the pic of my tank I attached there is a spray bar on the left glass above the diffuser angled slightly down that whips the bubbles around. The filter is just an Eheim 2215.
post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 03:54 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

Thanks. Reactors were all the rage some 4 years ago until folks figured out that every solution has its pros and cons. As you mentioned, priming is one con of inline reactors.
Greggz and Greggz like this.
post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
The ceramic diffusers have a pretty wide range when it comes to working pressure. Many of the atomizers, etc all need high pressure to work. I have them working from 20 to 60 working pressure. Whether you use a reactor, in-line atomizer, or in-tank diffuser they all work, evidenced by countless tanks, but sometimes one is better for someone else under certain circumstances.

Cleaning them is just 50/50 bleach/water dip for like an hour or more (that's why two comes in handy and if you eventually break one.)

I don't use powerheads, never found any "real" reason to do so. In the pic of my tank I attached there is a spray bar on the left glass above the diffuser angled slightly down that whips the bubbles around. The filter is just an Eheim 2215.
I did not realize that the picture was of your tank when I first read your post. Very nice tank. I hope my bolbitis fills out as nicely as yours did in that tank. The one reason I am stressed out over flow is that I was told bolbitis needs lots of flow to do well. I have a lot of stems right now because I needed plant mass, but I hope my fern type plants fill in and eventually dominate the scape.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode