2Likes
  • 2 Post By OVT
  • 2 Post By Science Seuss

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Nano Canisters

What is the smallest canister filter that anyone is aware of? The smallest I have been able to find are still rated for 80GPH (thats the zoomed offering and the eheim 2211). I want to use this filter on a 7.5 gal 12" cube tank.

As an alternative to a commercially available filter, are they any ways to modify an off the shelf unit to have less flow?

My tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 09:34 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
I used to like Finnex px-360.
Joshism and Joshism like this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 09:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Actually many have less flow than stated when we add media!!! But there are also many good ways to cut flow if needed. Keep in mind that this type motor is not harmed by what we would have called "strain" on other older designs. So we can cut flow by adding more or thicker media, restricting the tubing like with running it through a fitting like an elbow as the inside of the fitting which goes inside the tubing is smaller. Or we can stick a sponge over the intake! GO big and never regret it.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 09:44 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have used the Zoo med 501 canister filter for turtles on small tanks. It's great!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002DIRPU...a-303014046421

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
PlantedRich and PlantedRich like this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 09:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Science Seuss View Post
I have used the Zoo med 501 canister filter for turtles on small tanks. It's great!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002DIRPU...a-303014046421

I also use the 501 but not sure I like it as it is almost too small for a ten?? I can cut flow easier than make it better.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 09:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have the 2211 on a 10 g tank. I like it, it does a good job. You can order the filter with two quick release valves, which I highly recommend for servicing and isolating the filter from the intake and supply tubing. The other advantage with the valve is you can slowly close the output valve to obtain the desired flow you want. I keep my valves fully open, and the flow works out well
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 09:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbachmann View Post
What is the smallest canister filter that anyone is aware of? The smallest I have been able to find are still rated for 80GPH (thats the zoomed offering and the eheim 2211). I want to use this filter on a 7.5 gal 12" cube tank.

As an alternative to a commercially available filter, are they any ways to modify an off the shelf unit to have less flow?
Eheim's have connectors that utilize shut-offs. You can simply close the outflow shut-off little by little until you reach the desired flow. Never restrict the intake, always the outflow. I run an Eheim 2213 on a 10 gallon fully open, no restriction. I put a lily pipe on the outflow, this opens up the flow tremendously so you're not getting restricted jets blasting out of the spray bar. It's also prettier than that green spray bar, haha.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
I also use the 501 but not sure I like it as it is almost too small for a ten?? I can cut flow easier than make it better.
I plant to keep Elastoma and H. Formosa which are both species from relatively still water. Do you have any numbers or a good way to calculate flow? I think i'd like to have it at about 20-40 GPH, as I think anything higher then that will damage my fish/cause unnecessary stress.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorges View Post
Eheim's have connectors that utilize shut-offs. You can simply close the outflow shut-off little by little until you reach the desired flow. Never restrict the intake, always the outflow. I run an Eheim 2213 on a 10 gallon fully open, no restriction. I put a lily pipe on the outflow, this opens up the flow tremendously so you're not getting restricted jets blasting out of the spray bar. It's also prettier than that green spray bar, haha.
Interesting! I never thought of that. I'll have to try it out on my big eheim later when I get home. That could very well end up being what I do!

My tanks:

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 10:02 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
I plant to keep Elastoma and H. Formosa which are both species from relatively still water. Do you have any numbers or a good way to calculate flow? I think i'd like to have it at about 20-40 GPH, as I think anything higher then that will damage my fish/cause unnecessary stress.
The ZooMed 501 has a flow rate around 30 to 40 gph. I've used it in a custom 7 gallon planted tank for over a year and it was perfect. After tearing down that 7 gal, I used the same filter in a small paliderium for over a year, and now I have it installed in a Halloween decoration, and it's still going strong. It's cheap too, so if you end up not liking it, you're only out about $30.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 10:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I rarely look at the specs too much as there are so many things that change the flow. Flow will have an obvious change in flow as the media get dirty even and that is the way some decide when to clean. when flow drops, it is time to clean the media so if we want the drop in flow, just adding more or tighter media will do it. In the little 501, we don't have lots of space but if we just layer more of something like bonded filter floss it will cut the flow. It has a round sponge on the pipe going out of the can but we can add to that in the other side of the canister where they give us a bit of hard media.
My 501 says 79 GPH but i seriously doubt that for real world use!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 10:22 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
I rarely look at the specs too much as there are so many things that change the flow. Flow will have an obvious change in flow as the media get dirty even and that is the way some decide when to clean. when flow drops, it is time to clean the media so if we want the drop in flow, just adding more or tighter media will do it. In the little 501, we don't have lots of space but if we just layer more of something like bonded filter floss it will cut the flow. It has a round sponge on the pipe going out of the can but we can add to that in the other side of the canister where they give us a bit of hard media.
My 501 says 79 GPH but i seriously doubt that for real world use!
79 is with an EMPTY canister. In practice, depending on the media (as you mentioned), the flow can be GREATLY reduced.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorges View Post
It totally works! Do you think this will cause damage in the long term?

My tanks:

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 07:01 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Quote:
It totally works! Do you think this will cause damage in the long term?
Nope.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode