Co2 injection PLUS supplement ??? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By OVT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Just want to say hello to everyone ! Im new. Thanks for having me here.

So, I have a 182 litre tank. (4ft)
I want to obviously do a planted tank with CO2 injection for optimal plant growth. I am trying to do it on a budget. DIY co2 system is not an option (citrus acid and bicarb or whatever they use) as i have a 5 year old daughter who likes to investigate things and I dont want to risk it.

I have been looking a fluval co2 kit for $100.
However it says it is suitable for up to 150 litres.

Do you think it is possible to get this CO2 set up and dose my tank with flourish excel or other Co2 supplements to make up the difference?

Also, if anyone runs this type of system (88g bottles) how long typically would it last?

Thanks heaps guys 🙂
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 08:06 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Welcome to TPT!

First of, do not waste your money on Fluval 88. It has multiple problems and you will end up spending a lot of money on the refill cartriges. And I speak from my personal, hands-on experience.

I do not know your experience with planted tanks but there are many many plants that grow great with no added co2. If you want to go a step up, then suppliments like Excel will certainly help.

Injected co2 does not optimize plant growth all by itself, it is just one component of an inter-depended eco system that also includes light, fertilization, your water parameters, circulation and so on.

If you could describe your "ideal" tank and what you have now, then we will have a starting point for a discussion.
houseofcards and houseofcards like this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks for your reply ! I am new to the aquarium hobby so this is my first tank. EVER!
I am however pretty clued onto everything at this stage, but just need a little guidance in areas.

I was also thinking of doing plants that don't require as much CO2, but I feel like my choices are very limited in what I can choose for the style of aquascape i want.

I kind of want a iwagami aquascape with a carpet cover in the foreground and follage in the background and amongst large rocks.
Perhaps some kind of moss on the rocks. Is there plants that fit this criteria?

Is my dream too far fetched?

I have a attached a photo. Please note that the driftwood and plastic plants in the tank are only to give you an idea of the dimensions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180408_120523_814_1523523891694.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	844978  

Last edited by Darkblade48; 04-14-2018 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 02:15 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
@Bekk: your dream is not far fetched, it is actually rather doable.

Here is a partial list of plants to start with: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/10...ht-plants.html

Here is a long thread from many people that has many examples and experiences with non -co2 tanks: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/10...h-too-%3D.html

Enjoy and do not hesitate to post questions.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode