filter for 54 gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
filter for 54 gallon

Is there a benefit to running 2 smaller canisters on a larger aquarium vs. one large canister? I can't make my mind up if I want to run a single eheim pro4 600 or two 250s. I'm worried that the 600 doesn't have quite enough flow, especially with my plan to run both a reactor and inline heater.

Running the 600 would save me a bit of money, but running the 250s would let me run one canister with the inline heater and the other with my reactor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 02:05 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
I've got the same tank, very low tech, with a single 600 in the back corner. Getting the flow somewhat right in these corner tanks is a pain.
If you can stomach it, go with 2 x 350. Otherwise, a single 600 in a lightly planted / stocked seems to work.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 02:44 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
having two filters will save you if one fails. Also, it will allow more water to be filtered instead of one area, and waiting for water to circulate there.

Sometimes you just need a little more cake.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
I've got the same tank, very low tech, with a single 600 in the back corner. Getting the flow somewhat right in these corner tanks is a pain.
If you can stomach it, go with 2 x 350. Otherwise, a single 600 in a lightly planted / stocked seems to work.
Tank probably won't be lightly stocked, AQAdvisor showing my tank as ~100% stocked with what I'd like to put in there. It will be heavily planted with CO2 but none of the plants will be "high" light plants or overly demanding fertilization-wise (probably will fertilize PPS-Pro for medium light plants and see how that goes before bumping up to "high").

So, filtration does seem important here. I like the pro4s because of the grey tubing but I do have other questions. Is the range extender function good for controlling flow or does it just bypass the fine filter mesh and maintain constant flow? Do you have to use eheim's filter mesh or is fashioning your own an option?

2 350s would give me about 10x turnover (~550 g/hr) whereas 2 250s would give 9x (501 g/hr), and the single 600 would give only 6x (330 g/hr). Guess there's not much difference between the 250 and 350 function wise. Although, given how much I'm spending elsewhere on this tank, spending $350 vs $440 isn't trivial.

Thinking about intakes and outflows: would having both intakes in the back corner (can't be the very back corner given how the top brace of the aquarium curves, i think its too wide for the inflow tubes) at different hights, and then one outflow as a spraybar at the top on one side, and then other as a lily pipe about midway down the tank (and hooked up to the reactor) would give good flow? The two outflows would be directed crossways from one another but at different levels in the tank. The spraybar would provide surface agitation.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 01:49 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

I personally think that the "extender" is a gimmick. The switch bypasses the prefilter, giving you "an extra couple of days to clean the filter". The flow itself is controlled by a separate lever.

If I were to use 2 filters, which I eventually may, I would put both intakes at the back corner (they would be < 1" away from the actual corner because of the brace) and an outflow at each front corners (about 1-2" back), pointing diagonally toward the intakes. The surface agitation is plenty with the included pipes. I personally have mixed feelings about rain bars, but you do have that option.

Do post some pictured, when and if you feel like it.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I personally think that the "extender" is a gimmick. The switch bypasses the prefilter, giving you "an extra couple of days to clean the filter". The flow itself is controlled by a separate lever.

If I were to use 2 filters, which I eventually may, I would put both intakes at the back corner (they would be < 1" away from the actual corner because of the brace) and an outflow at each front corners (about 1-2" back), pointing diagonally toward the intakes. The surface agitation is plenty with the included pipes. I personally have mixed feelings about rain bars, but you do have that option.

Do post some pictured, when and if you feel like it.
If you pointed the outflows diagonally towards the intakes in the back corner, wouldn't that create a big deadzone in the center of the aquarium?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 03:09 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

More likely right at the curved front. The outflow does fan out the farther away it gets from the source. Where the edges of the 2 "fans" touch will depend on the angle of the outflows. Then we also have 2 intakes sucking the water roughly front to back.

That's how I would personally start and then adjust as needed. My best guess, if you will. Obviously, location of hardscape and density and type of plants will also play a role, as will the initial flow settings and subsequent degradation as the filters get clogged up over time.

Do share your configuration once you find that sweet spot. I am not above stealing good ideas from others.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
More likely right at the curved front. The outflow does fan out the farther away it gets from the source. Where the edges of the 2 "fans" touch will depend on the angle of the outflows. Then we also have 2 intakes sucking the water roughly front to back.

That's how I would personally start and then adjust as needed. My best guess, if you will. Obviously, location of hardscape and density and type of plants will also play a role, as will the initial flow settings and subsequent degradation as the filters get clogged up over time.

Do share your configuration once you find that sweet spot. I am not above stealing good ideas from others.
Definitely will share things, planning on doing a tank journal (and hopefully not abandoning it like I did my journal for my 4 gallon). I'm still in the equipment gathering phase as the only thing I have on hand right now is the aquarium.

My immediate to-do list is 1) brace the stand and paint, 2) water test the aquarium, and 3) build reactor. I'll keep buying equipment over the next 2 months or so with a hopeful put-together goal of the beginning of June.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode