Co2 bubbles and diy reactor.(I think so) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Co2 bubbles and diy reactor.(I think so)

Hi everyone.
I recently replaced my ista mix max large(trash by the way) because it leaks, is made out of cheap materials and didn't work so i went ahead and built my own reactor. is basically a 2" diameter pvc pipe, 24" long with bio balls inside powered by a sunsun hw-304b canister filter this in my 120 gallon tank that also has a fx5 canister.
The problem i am facing is that i am still seeing a lot of bubbles in the water, basically i think the co2 is not being broken down enough for the bio balls. any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_9133-20180408_231355894315216.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	844153  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 04:20 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Add coarse filter sponge on the bottom to block the CO2 bubbles from exiting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshism View Post
Add coarse filter sponge on the bottom to block the CO2 bubbles from exiting.
I'll try that. is good that one of the ends is threaded so i can easily open it. would it be to much to add a second reactor powered by the same filter?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 04:48 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by illbethejudge View Post
I'll try that. is good that one of the ends is threaded so i can easily open it. would it be to much to add a second reactor powered by the same filter?
PVC is cheap, so give the 2nd reactor a try. But remember, the more things you add, the slower your flow is.
If you could shrink the reactor's intake into a bunch of small sprays, it would dissolve the CO2 better. If not, you would need a lot of pressure to break the surface. Think of when you wash your car. Using a hose without a nozzle won't make as many bubbles in your bucket as when you put your thumb over it to build pressure. The pressure breaks the surface more, and the bubbles are pushed down deeper. I would add bypass plumbing with an adjustable ball valve if this restricts the flow too much. It would be nice to have a transparent pipe so that you can actually see what's going on in there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshism View Post
PVC is cheap, so give the 2nd reactor a try. But remember, the more things you add, the slower your flow is.
If you could shrink the reactor's intake into a bunch of small sprays, it would dissolve the CO2 better. If not, you would need a lot of pressure to break the surface. Think of when you wash your car. Using a hose without a nozzle won't make as many bubbles in your bucket as when you put your thumb over it to build pressure. The pressure breaks the surface more, and the bubbles are pushed down deeper. I would add bypass plumbing with an adjustable ball valve if this restricts the flow too much. It would be nice to have a transparent pipe so that you can actually see what's going on in there.
I am not to worried about flow getting slower, since there is a fx5 as a main filter which i think is enough for a 120 gallon tank.
I think i will make the pipe either longer or i would add an extra reactor since i wanna give the co2 more time in the reactor before it reaches the tank. Also i thought about the clear pipe i just couldn't find one in home depot or lowes but i will check online to see if i can find one.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 09:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Is your SunSun full of media? If not, you could load it up with media. This should slow the flow down enough that you're getting less bubbles forced out of the reactor. I say this because I use a packed full Eheim 2217 on a 2"x24" reactor and I have zero bubble bypass. I'm sure though if I emptied the 2217, my water would look like soda because the flow would be too much. The filter floss in the reactor would work also, but would also add the need for much more frequent maintenance.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorges View Post
Is your SunSun full of media? If not, you could load it up with media. This should slow the flow down enough that you're getting less bubbles forced out of the reactor. I say this because I use a packed full Eheim 2217 on a 2"x24" reactor and I have zero bubble bypass. I'm sure though if I emptied the 2217, my water would look like soda because the flow would be too much. The filter floss in the reactor would work also, but would also add the need for much more frequent maintenance.
yes the sunsun is full of media. All the trays have bio balls and ceramic rings but i am still seeing lot of bubbles.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 02:59 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by illbethejudge View Post
yes the sunsun is full of media. All the trays have bio balls and ceramic rings but i am still seeing lot of bubbles.
I use the SunSun HW-603 on the output of the reactor. That is the version without the pump. I do not use the included sponges instead I filled it with filter floss. Zero bubbles and little flow restriction plus easy to clean. I specifically wanted something that did not effect flow to much. I tried floss in the reactor, worked great but it got dirty really quick slowing flow. An added bonus is clearer water. There is zero bypass with the HW-603. I removed the floss from the 303B main filter just run coarse foam and ehiem substrat pro. Another bonus is I do not have to clean the 303B as often because there is no floss. One side note, I do have coarse sponge covers for the intakes. I have shrimp so I didn't want any sucked into the filter. This does stop all the coarse debris from entering the filter as well.
The HW-603 instructions say to install it on the suction side of a pump. I have not had any issues running it on the pressure side.
I use one on the other 303B that doesn't have the reactor as well. Simply because it is so easy to swap out the filter floss.

Last edited by RLee; 04-10-2018 at 03:12 AM. Reason: adding stuff
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLee View Post
I use the SunSun HW-603 on the output of the reactor. That is the version without the pump. I do not use the included sponges instead I filled it with filter floss. Zero bubbles and little flow restriction plus easy to clean. I specifically wanted something that did not effect flow to much. I tried floss in the reactor, worked great but it got dirty really quick slowing flow. An added bonus is clearer water. There is zero bypass with the HW-603. I removed the floss from the 303B main filter just run coarse foam and ehiem substrat pro. Another bonus is I do not have to clean the 303B as often because there is no floss. One side note, I do have coarse sponge covers for the intakes. I have shrimp so I didn't want any sucked into the filter. This does stop all the coarse debris from entering the filter as well.
The HW-603 instructions say to install it on the suction side of a pump. I have not had any issues running it on the pressure side.
I use one on the other 303B that doesn't have the reactor as well. Simply because it is so easy to swap out the filter floss.
that is a good idea but wouldn't a hw-304b put to much pressure running thru a 603?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode