Filter Help...Please !!!! - The Planted Tank Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Filter Help...Please !!!!

Hey guys, Iím almost done gathering everything for my ADA 120-P. Now on to the question of filtration, do you think 2 Eheim 4 Pro 350ís would be enough. It is rated at 280 GPH times 2 would be 560 GPH divides by 65 gallons would be an 8.6 tank turn over rate. What do you think of this? I will be having and in-line Hester in one and a inline reactor on the other. To clarify a 120-P is 65 gallons. Any help would be super appreciated. If anyone has a similar sized filter for sale please please please PM me.

This is also what I plan to stock if anyone wonders. Someone what overstocked I have heard but feel it will be alright.
http://aqadvisor.com/AquStockImage.p...200909300044:0
Thanks a lot, Skye !!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 12:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Why run two canisters? Seems like it would be better to find one with a higher gph rating, if you are going for that "clean" look. I do advocate twin, even triple HOBs.... mainly because they are cheap and effective.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcrafted View Post
Why run two canisters? Seems like it would be better to find one with a higher gph rating, if you are going for that "clean" look. I do advocate twin, even triple HOBs.... mainly because they are cheap and effective.

Thanks for he replies, the main reason is with a larger canister filter comes larger GPH rating which comes with larger tubing sizes. I do not want to DYI larger custom made 1 in lily pipes. With 2 canisters it gives you a slight amount of safe gaurs against if one goes out. With two I can also adjust the flow to the perfect direction to create that vortex that we all whis to have. But a fellow member @mott has a GLA 120-P with a single Fluval FX4 which he says he loves. I am torn between these options because the Fluval has 1 inch tubing. I would need to adapt the hosing which would end up with less flow, inline heater and reactor would also lessen flow and the idea that Fluvals have so much less media room is a worry for a heavy stocked tank. I am sorry to say but I detest HOB filters, I canít stand the splashing sound. And in addition the flow patterns tend to go down and do not have a steady flow through the tank. The real reason why I detest HOBs is that one time I bought a new one, loved it (it wasnít in my bedroom no sound concern) and the silicone went out and leaked about 2 grand of damage onto my new reclaimed floors. That why.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 02:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
There are always lots of different ways to think of filtering but I might suggest what I like as a somewhat cheaper and different way. I have a 120 gallon with lots of plants but also lots of wood and that means the flow is not going to go straight from "A" to "B" . I use two filters and do like some of that but much smaller sizes. I am not up on the new model numbers from Ehiem but use the older model 2075 as the larger and then have a 2217 which is the really old Classic model number running on an inline Grigg's reactor. With the reduction in flow on the reactor filter, I needed more water movement but instead of larger filters. I find the small powerheads can be placed out of sight and in places that I could not get filter flow into. I am using lots of the little $7 powerheads off the auction site as a way to tuck one down and behind a big decor item and point it to move the water in more "gentle" kicks from one spot to another.
I find that I do not need more filter as I have plenty of mechanical and bio going on but the flow is much simpler to maintain on powerheads than filters. Cheaper, too!! The powerheads hang on the glass well with and improved suction cup with a flip lever to draw down tight and they run for months without needing attention. My biggest problem with them is clearing plant debris if it gets wrapped around the shaft so that the impeller doesn't start in the correct direction after power is out.
Perhaps a $7 try might find a good solution to using smaller filters that cost less and need less work?
In the overall expense, I find $7 is almost "throw-away" money if it works??

Circulation Pump Wavemaker 530 GPH Aquarium Reef Powerhead Suction Cup Mount
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 02:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYE.__.HIGH View Post
T I am sorry to say but I detest HOB filters, I can’t stand the splashing sound. And in addition the flow patterns tend to go down and do not have a steady flow through the tank. The real reason why I detest HOBs is that one time I bought a new one, loved it (it wasn’t in my bedroom no sound concern) and the silicone went out and leaked about 2 grand of damage onto my new reclaimed floors. That why.
I hear that. I don't care much for them on larger tanks, either. They come with their own limitations and they're ugly in my opinion. I do have a few $10 ones on my nanos, where a canister isn't really practical with their location and all. They get the job done, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
I find that I do not need more filter as I have plenty of mechanical and bio going on but the flow is much simpler to maintain on powerheads than filters. Cheaper, too!!
That's kind of where I was heading with it. They make it much easier and cheaper to get whatever flow pattern you want in pretty much any type of tank... with enough of them properly placed, that is.
SKYE.__.HIGH and SKYE.__.HIGH like this.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 02:57 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
I run 2 x 2075 on 120P. Not a big fan of powerheads.
SKYE.__.HIGH and SKYE.__.HIGH like this.

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 05:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
This was my general thoughts as well as I have used Marineland which had three suction cups to let tow come loose and thatlet the powerhead point down into the sub for a real mess. Then I have tried Koralia which work fine but cost way too much for what they do! But then I did want to do what they provide and was willing to try the cheap version and they seem to be what I want at a low price so I now have about a dozen of them here and there.
But part of my thinking is that I can hide them with some work. The cord tends to show so fitting tall wood which comes to the surface, combined with using canopies so that I don't look directly down on things, does let me hide the head and the cord.
Just a thought as we do all have different needs/wants.
Look, learn, adapt as needed? The story of life!
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
There are always lots of different ways to think of filtering but I might suggest what I like as a somewhat cheaper and different way. I have a 120 gallon with lots of plants but also lots of wood and that means the flow is not going to go straight from "A" to "B" . I use two filters and do like some of that but much smaller sizes. I am not up on the new model numbers from Ehiem but use the older model 2075 as the larger and then have a 2217 which is the really old Classic model number running on an inline Grigg's reactor. With the reduction in flow on the reactor filter, I needed more water movement but instead of larger filters. I find the small powerheads can be placed out of sight and in places that I could not get filter flow into. I am using lots of the little $7 powerheads off the auction site as a way to tuck one down and behind a big decor item and point it to move the water in more "gentle" kicks from one spot to another.

I find that I do not need more filter as I have plenty of mechanical and bio going on but the flow is much simpler to maintain on powerheads than filters. Cheaper, too!! The powerheads hang on the glass well with and improved suction cup with a flip lever to draw down tight and they run for months without needing attention. My biggest problem with them is clearing plant debris if it gets wrapped around the shaft so that the impeller doesn't start in the correct direction after power is out.

Perhaps a $7 try might find a good solution to using smaller filters that cost less and need less work?

In the overall expense, I find $7 is almost "throw-away" money if it works??

Circulation Pump Wavemaker 530 GPH Aquarium Reef Powerhead Suction Cup Mount

Thanks for thoughts! Iím going to be honest in that Iím not big on Powerheads as @OVT said. For some reason I cannot stand them, the only things I want inside my tank are the 2 sets of lily pipes. A drop checker and fish and plants lol. I have seen the 2075ís and it looks like a contender. Anyone know the flow rate on these guys, couldnít seem to find it. Thanks skye

Quote:

Thanks a lot for the new idea, do you think itís plenty enough flow? Do you have an idea on the flow rate?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 04-10-2018 at 03:21 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 09:31 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the new idea, do you think itís plenty enough flow? Do you have an idea on the flow rate?
330 gph, the Pro III models have been discontinued and replaced with Pro 4 models. The biggest difference is the new Eheim smokey grey tubing If you search around / wait for sale, the 600 model is:around $200. I got my last one about a month ago from PetSmart, of all places.

Back to 120-P, 1 filter runs in-line atomizer with ADA lily pipes and another Hydor ETH with stock tubes. In that overgrown tank, I feel the flow is right at 75% when filters are clean, and at 100% after about 6 months.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
330 gph, the Pro III models have been discontinued and replaced with Pro 4 models. The biggest difference is the new Eheim smokey grey tubing If you search around / wait for sale, the 600 model is:around $200. I got my last one about a month ago from PetSmart, of all places.

Back to 120-P, 1 filter runs in-line atomizer with ADA lily pipes and another Hydor ETH with stock tubes. In that overgrown tank, I feel the flow is right at 75% when filters are clean, and at 100% after about 6 months.

Flow goes up in 6 months? Sounds good, yeah Iíve been looking around and there are still places you can buy the pro 3 models but they are the same price as The newer ones! Thanks again
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 10:45 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Flow goes up in 6 months?! Thanks again
I wish. I start at 75% and then move the flow lever to 100 as the filter gets clogged.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I wish. I start at 75% and then move the flow lever to 100 as the filter gets clogged.

Okay, lol, I was thinking (should I be taking advise from this guys?) because all Iíve ever experienced was a decrease in flow.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 06:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:

Petsmart always seems to have great sales on canister filters. I got my Pro+ 350 for $170 and a month ago they were selling the Fluval FX6 for $215. I regret not buying the FX6.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
Petsmart always seems to have great sales on canister filters. I got my Pro+ 350 for $170 and a month ago they were selling the Fluval FX6 for $215. I regret not buying the FX6.

170$ isnít bad for a 350! You arenít suggesting the fx6 for a 120-p are you?
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 02:43 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

Quote:
170$ isnít bad for a 350! You arenít suggesting the fx6 for a 120-p are you?
And then you are back to where to put that monster and what to do with 1" hoses. Still, fx4 and fx6 do blow, in a good way.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode