Filter Help...Please !!!! - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 03:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
I have a densely planted 120H with two 600's ( 2075 and 2275 to be exact in older Eheim nomenclature ), lily pipes, inline heater, UV sterilizer, etc. and think the flow is just right. I like two filters versus one for various reasons versus one monster filter. Although I would have an ADA Superjet ES-2400 if I had the budget for it, lol.

I bought an Eheim 2074 years ago to be the sole filter on a 75 gallon and never felt like it provided enough movement. After a few months I replaced it with a 2076 and still didn't feel like it was enough and finally added a 2075 to go with it. I'm not interested in a raging maelstrom, but want a gentle yet, let's call it thorough, flow in the tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 04:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
for y'all with the eheim pro4s, do you use the stock eheim filter pads or just use regular floss/pads and stuff them in around the internal structure of the filter?
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 05:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I used to cut my own floss, but then I got lazy and started buying Eheim pads. I've come to prefer them because I feel like I get better flow with them than the rolls of floss I was buying from Big Al's.

post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 05:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5614 View Post
I used to cut my own floss, but then I got lazy and started buying Eheim pads. I've come to prefer them because I feel like I get better flow with them than the rolls of floss I was buying from Big Al's.
how long do they typically last?
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 06:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubie98 View Post
The blue coarse pads will last a long time. I replace them around every four months, but they'll go much longer. I replace the fine white pads monthly, but you get could longer out of them if you rinse them. They're still in good shape integrity wise after a month, but very nasty.
aubie98 and aubie98 like this.
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 06:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
The blue coarse pads will last a long time. I replace them around every four months, but they'll go much longer. I replace the fine white pads monthly, but you get could longer out of them if you rinse them. They're still in good shape integrity wise after a month, but very nasty.
Do you use the prefilter? It looks like a good idea but it's so danged big! And given I'd be running 2 filters, I don't think i have the space.
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 06:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
120P is what? 65 gallons? I would put an FX6 on that with dual returns.
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 07:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Do you use the prefilter? It looks like a good idea but it's so danged big! And given I'd be running 2 filters, I don't think i have the space.
Do you mean the prefilter that goes in the tank? Then no, just lily pipes. To add to my previous post, I toss the fine pads because even though you can rinse them it doesn't get all of the gunk out and I'm one of those who thinks the build up of organic waste material in the aquarium is not a good thing.
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:

Course blue ones last forever, I keep them for quite a while (1 year) they really donít degrade much. Just make sure to hose them heavily, but the white pads (filter floss) I replace with every filter maintenance (usually 1-3 months) or if itís not that dirty I just spray it down until itís clean and throw it in again. I wouldnít ever replace all of your pads at the same time to make sure you donít distrust the BB colony to much.
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 12:37 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
The Pro 3 and 4 models have a built-in prefilter.

I tend to keep my pads longer then most people.. I tried some copy-cat sets from Amazon and they did not last nearly as long as Eheim's. I just stock up on the 1 Coarse + 3 Fine sets by Eheim when Big Al's has a sale.
SKYE.__.HIGH and SKYE.__.HIGH like this.
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 03:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I like the idea of Fluval FX6 filters, they seem like great filters but adapting pipes to use lilly pipes etc is going to cut the flow, you can diy stuff but never looks as good as glass or SS pipes... so with that said 2 filters that run 16/22mm pipes is probably the way to go if you want to use glass or stainless pipes.

I recently set up 2x 360gph filters (old eheim pro copies) on a 17g tank, I am going for high flow tho, having two filters seems real handy when cleaning and doing maintenance etc
SKYE.__.HIGH and SKYE.__.HIGH like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by doylecolmdoyle View Post
I like the idea of Fluval FX6 filters, they seem like great filters but adapting pipes to use lilly pipes etc is going to cut the flow, you can diy stuff but never looks as good as glass or SS pipes... so with that said 2 filters that run 16/22mm pipes is probably the way to go if you want to use glass or stainless pipes.

I recently set up 2x 360gph filters (old eheim pro copies) on a 17g tank, I am going for high flow tho, having two filters seems real handy when cleaning and doing maintenance etc

Yeah, I havenít ever looked into it but you could make SS lily pipes pretty easily I imagine. It could also be done via custom shop for not a fortune as well. Oh well, tbh I wish I could put one fx6 in there with 1 in pipes then everything would be good. I love that you can fill the tank by connecting the tube at the bottom of the filter to a sink. I think itís a great idea. ): if only someone had 650 GPH of filter lying around waiting to sell for cheap ): hint hint lol. Thanks for everyoneís comments. What Iím thinking now (I change my mind a lot lol) is to do one Eheim Pro 4 600 and one Fluval 406 (I have heard that Fluval kills every other filter in filtering out physical particles in the water. And I want the water to look like air, nothing in it except plants/fish. What would you think of one filter (Eheim) being mostly devoted to biological filtration and the Fluval being devoted to mechanical filtration with some biological as well. Yes/no ?
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 06:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYE.__.HIGH View Post
Yeah, I havenít ever looked into it but you could make SS lily pipes pretty easily I imagine. It could also be done via custom shop for not a fortune as well. Oh well, tbh I wish I could put one fx6 in there with 1 in pipes then everything would be good. I love that you can fill the tank by connecting the tube at the bottom of the filter to a sink. I think itís a great idea. ): if only someone had 650 GPH of filter lying around waiting to sell for cheap ): hint hint lol. Thanks for everyoneís comments. What Iím thinking now (I change my mind a lot lol) is to do one Eheim Pro 4 600 and one Fluval 406 (I have heard that Fluval kills every other filter in filtering out physical particles in the water. And I want the water to look like air, nothing in it except plants/fish. What would you think of one filter (Eheim) being mostly devoted to biological filtration and the Fluval being devoted to mechanical filtration with some biological as well. Yes/no ?
The thing I like about Fluval is that there are a lot of sponges inside capturing all sorts of stuff. Plus the replacements are super dirt cheap. For example to replace all the pads in an Eheim Pro4 it costs $16-20. For a Fluval it's $8 and you get double the amount of sponges and prefilters. Plus parts for Fluvals are everywhere and much much cheaper.
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 08:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYE.__.HIGH View Post
I think you're overthinking it .
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
The thing I like about Fluval is that there are a lot of sponges inside capturing all sorts of stuff. Plus the replacements are super dirt cheap. For example to replace all the pads in an Eheim Pro4 it costs $16-20. For a Fluval it's $8 and you get double the amount of sponges and prefilters. Plus parts for Fluvals are everywhere and much much cheaper.
True.
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I think you're overthinking it .

True.

Well, yay or nay ?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode