Fresh Water RO ? - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 05:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Whether you using RO or RO/DI you will need to remineralize. RO will just require a tiny bit less of remineralization. You do it based on the target GH you want. Then you just use ferts like normal.

Although honestly if you don't need a very specific GH for finicky shrimp I wouldn't bother and use regular tap for the water change and keep ro/di water just for ato purposes. Using 0 tds water on the ATO will keep the TDS from spiking as water evaporates.

My RO/DI creation is fully automated. I can give you a quick rundown on what's needed if you want to try that route.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 07:04 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westone View Post
I have a 90G Planted tank w/ a 20G sump filter, C02 & 10G ATO, automatically dosed with GLA PPS-Pro fertilizers (Plantex CSM + B, Potassium Nitrate, Mono Potassium Phosphate, Potassium Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate)

I was shopping parts at BRS to put together a three stage chloramine filter to plumb my municipal water supply directly to the ATO tank, and thus avoid pre-treating and lugging jugs of water from the kitchen. The parts quickly added up to the cost of the entry level BRS 4 Stage 75GPD RO/DI system, not to mention a trip to the home center for fittings and the effort to put it all together.

RO/DI is not the direction I was going. If RO/DI water goes into a FW Planted tank, and the GLA fertilizers are dosed at the appropriate level, will the water contain all the minerals and elements the fish and plants need to thrive? Or is something else needed, or is RO/DI simply not appropriate for FW planted tanks?

Thanks.
For ATO, I'd go with the RO/DI and either take water from the RO output, or put a carbon cartridge in place of the DI cartridge. For chloramines, just buy some sodium thiosulfate from Amazon and add this to your tank when you do water changes with tap water. I made a calculator for neutralizing chlorine, chloramine or bleach with sodium thiosulfate. Usually, I am lazy and just throw in a few grams when doing water changes since excess is not harmful in my experience.

Bruce

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode