GLA regulator with paintball adapter?!? Anyone doing this - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
GLA regulator with paintball adapter?!? Anyone doing this

I bought a GLA mini ss made for standard co2 tanks. Iíve added the aquatek paintball co2 adapter with a washer and installed it on the paintball tank but for some reason the working pressure slowly drops and the bubbles per second slow down to a halt after like 20 mins. Has anyone ever used a GLA regulator with a paintball adapter? Iíve tried to send an email to green leaf aquarium but I got no response. Does the paintball tank not deliver enough pressure to keep the rate consistent? Iíve checked for leaks but found none
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 10:12 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent69 View Post
I bought a GLA mini ss made for standard co2 tanks. Iíve added the aquatek paintball co2 adapter with a washer and installed it on the paintball tank but for some reason the working pressure slowly drops and the bubbles per second slow down to a halt after like 20 mins. Has anyone ever used a GLA regulator with a paintball adapter? Iíve tried to send an email to green leaf aquarium but I got no response. Does the paintball tank not deliver enough pressure to keep the rate consistent? Iíve checked for leaks but found none
I've had this exact setup for over a year with no issues using a 20 oz paintball tank. Pressure stays where it is set, bubble count is steady. I am running into a modified griggs style reactor at around 3 bps. Not sure why you are having problems but I can confirm that this reg with the cga fitting and adapter to paintball tank will work.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wboarderss View Post
Quote:
I bought a GLA mini ss made for standard co2 tanks. I’ve added the aquatek paintball co2 adapter with a washer and installed it on the paintball tank but for some reason the working pressure slowly drops and the bubbles per second slow down to a halt after like 20 mins. Has anyone ever used a GLA regulator with a paintball adapter? I’ve tried to send an email to green leaf aquarium but I got no response. Does the paintball tank not deliver enough pressure to keep the rate consistent? I’ve checked for leaks but found none
I've had this exact setup for over a year with no issues using a 20 oz paintball tank. Pressure stays where it is set, bubble count is steady. I am running into a modified griggs style reactor at around 3 bps. Not sure why you are having problems but I can confirm that this reg with the cga fitting and adapter to paintball tank will work.

Well today I kept testing it and it seems like it only stays accurate if I set it to 40psi working pressure anything below that and it fails.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 01:08 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Well today I kept testing it and it seems like it only stays accurate if I set it to 40psi working pressure anything below that and it fails.
When you say fail, does that mean the pressure went to zero? Over what time frame?

Maybe describing your system in a little more detail would help. How are you diffusing the co2 into the tank? Are you using any check valvces that could be failing? Bubble counter? What order are the parts installed from paintball tank to fish tank?

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wboarderss View Post
Quote:
When you say fail, does that mean the pressure went to zero? Over what time frame?

Maybe describing your system in a little more detail would help. How are you diffusing the co2 into the tank? Are you using any check valvces that could be failing? Bubble counter? What order are the parts installed from paintball tank to fish tank?

I have the regulator with a washer and connected to the adapter then attached to the paintball tank. I use co2 resistant tubing into a fluval bubble counter then through to an eBay diffuser. For testing I’m only using the bubble counter no diffuser and have tried different check valves. I open up the working pressure knob and the needle valve then hook it to the paintball tank. After that I adjust the working pressure to 20-30 psi and plug in the solenoid and adjust the meddle valve but after 10 minutes my working pressure drops and the bubbles almost halt to a stop. Today I set the working pressure to 40psi and it stayed constant for at least 4hrs but then I had to leave to work. Is there anything I’m doing wrong with setting it up??
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 03:27 PM
Algae Grower

If it makes you feel better, I had the same issues with my GLA mini SS but on a 5lb tank. I also emailed GLA and got no response.

Had to keep the pressure up high (I think 40psi was the same on mine). Otherwise, you could watch the pressure drop over a few minutes.

Set it to 40psi, and it should be fine. Mine has been running that way on my Mr. Aqua 7.5g bowfront for the last 12months on the same 5lb tank. No issues with pressure being constant once set that high. Haven't even had to refill the tank yet (no leaks). Everything seems stable once I got it set.

I was in the same boat as you, would have preferred to run the pressure lower.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackThumb View Post
If it makes you feel better, I had the same issues with my GLA mini SS but on a 5lb tank. I also emailed GLA and got no response.

Had to keep the pressure up high (I think 40psi was the same on mine). Otherwise, you could watch the pressure drop over a few minutes.

Set it to 40psi, and it should be fine. Mine has been running that way on my Mr. Aqua 7.5g bowfront for the last 12months on the same 5lb tank. No issues with pressure being constant once set that high. Haven't even had to refill the tank yet (no leaks). Everything seems stable once I got it set.

I was in the same boat as you, would have preferred to run the pressure lower.
Yeah I’ve tested it for 2 days now and it’s working perfect just felt kind of weird having to run it on max pressure. I’m glad I’m not alone with this issue at least now I can trust the regulator I’ll update this post if anything changes but thanks to everyone who replied I appreciate your feedback
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 06:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Yeah Iíve tested it for 2 days now and itís working perfect just felt kind of weird having to run it on max pressure. Iím glad Iím not alone with this issue at least now I can trust the regulator Iíll update this post if anything changes but thanks to everyone who replied I appreciate your feedback
I have the mini-ss paintball regulator on a 24oz tank and had a similar problem when I first set it up. After a lot of fiddling around and finding no holes in the hosing, I guessed that one or more of the hoses wasn't seated properly, so reinstalled all of them. Don't know which was the problem, but I haven't had that problem since.

And sorry you've gotten a poor response from GLA. They've answered my queries, usually by the next morning.

----
2x20-longs, one heavily planted. Platy rancher. They. Won't. Stop. Breeding.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode