Canister filter newbie here. Help? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By PlantedRich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Canister filter newbie here. Help?

I'll just say right off the bat that I've been out of the aquarium hobby for almost twelve years and have never used a canister filter before, so please bear with my inexperience, lol.

I purchased a canister filter about a month ago for a 40gal tank (which has nothing living in it at the moment). It's a (lightly used) Sicce Whale 200 that's supposed to run at 190 gph. I've set up and primed it according to the manual + instructional video, but after the canister is done filling and I turn it on, the outflow is really weak.. Like, barely trickling out. The intake/out-take tubes aren't being obstructed or cut off by anything, and it's running quietly with no unusual grinding noises. It's assembled correctly. I can't seem to figure out what the issue is. Advice?

EDIT: Filter has been working perfectly for about a month now, there was a small loose piece inside that fell out while I was putting it together the first time.

Last edited by madcaps; 05-15-2018 at 08:47 PM. Reason: No longer having the issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 04:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Not up on that filter but there is an almost universal item that often causes this. A major point for this type of impeller is that they can only pump water and will not move air. So when you have weak flow, it can often be that there is some water but a lot of air around the impeller. Kind of like splashing but not pumping?
Once assured there are no jams like media in the tubing etc, no kinks in tubing and the water in the tank is the correct level, I look for air in the wrong place.
Sometimes reading and using directions still leaves us at a loss!
Perhaps try this? Try tilting the canister and "rotating" it so that any air inside will go up and out the outflow tubing. I suspect there is a bit of missing detail on the starting (priming?) portion which has left just a small amount of air.
If not, there is some chance of an air leak letting air in but I'm guessing at the first and easy cure!
Doogy262 and Doogy262 like this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 05:05 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
try lubbing your o ring with vasolene that will give you an air tight seal also

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 06:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orichid123 View Post
try lubbing your o ring with vasolene that will give you an air tight seal also
Have to piggyback on this, I'm trying to locate the o-ring but I think this is where the top is located also? The leaking spot is in this area:

20 Gallon jungle tank

RAOK CLUB #0

Last edited by Raith; 07-05-2019 at 03:53 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 12:02 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
okay i see you may also want to try and seal it it with some silocone glue not sure if you can replace that part you would have to check with eheim

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 12:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Not up on that filter but there is an almost universal item that often causes this. A major point for this type of impeller is that they can only pump water and will not move air.
@PlantedRich: If there was air in/entering the impeller, wouldn't you expect to hear the typical chopping/cracking sound such as when bubbles hit it, which would be very obvious? Since the OP is getting some flow, and reporting smooth running, I would think that any air involvement would produce such sounds.

If the filter is humming quietly and smoothly, first thing I would do would be to measure gph, which can be up to half the rated gph, but certainly not what I would call a "trickle." Then, if it's at least 90-100 gph, expect that that might be as good as it gets with whatever media, tube bends, etc. might be involved.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 01:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcaps View Post
I'll just say right off the bat that I've been out of the aquarium hobby for almost twelve years and have never used a canister filter before, so please bear with my inexperience, lol.

I purchased a canister filter about a month ago for a 40gal tank (which has nothing living in it at the moment). It's a (lightly used) Sicce Whale 200 that's supposed to run at 190 gph. I've set up and primed it according to the manual + instructional video, but after the canister is done filling and I turn it on, the outflow is really weak.. Like, barely trickling out. The intake/out-take tubes aren't being obstructed or cut off by anything, and it's running quietly with no unusual grinding noises. It's assembled correctly. I can't seem to figure out what the issue is. Advice?
Double check you don't have the intake/output hoses reversed..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode