Python - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 03:42 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
never looked back after the python but...

anyone have any issues stressing out fish when you refill with tap + dechlorine/conditioning drops? Esp with more delicate fish like discus? It seems like it takes a little while for everything to neutralize chloring and balance pH and I notice the fish are really stressed out in the meantime. Everything tests fine shortly after, but just curious if theres a better way to refill without getting out the buckets
Doogy262 and Doogy262 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 04:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
For my 40 and 45 I just refill with declor.,and temperature but for the Discus I use aged water from a barrel and the Python hose fits the pump so I fill the tube with poly fil and cover with a media bag to completely eliminate micro bubbles...
Jane of Upton likes this.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 04:42 PM
Algae Grower

Love the Python. Makes water changes a complete breeze for FW. Highly recommend.
Doogy262 and Doogy262 like this.

20G long / Finnex Planted + / Marineland C-160 / Tunze Regulator / Fluval Bubble Counter / Cobalt Neo-Therm Heater / Koralia 240 / Rhinox Drop Checker

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 05:28 PM
Algae Grower

I had one years back and didn't like it...but I have a larger tank now and carrying a 5 gallon bucket back and forth (both for taking out and putting in) gets old. I had to get the 50 ft cord one due to location--make sure you get one that has extra length as you don't want a taut hose stretching across the floor.

It really is great for putting water back in. That said, you could just buy a potable water hose (like for campers) and use that to put water back in. Get a Python if you *also* need to take water out, otherwise I'd just get the hose as it is cheaper.

I'm iffy on the "take water out" part. I can't get enough suction to pick stuff up like I can with my siphon cleaner. So what I have been doing is to do one bucket's worth with the cleaner+bucket, then the rest with the Python just sitting there sucking water out. My tank is lightly-stocked so this works well, with one bucket I can get most of the visible stuff. Then you just change the setting on the faucet connector and you are ready to put the water back in.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 07:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I've had 5 pythons in the past, 3 reticulated one Burmese and 1 ball.......

I won't have one strictly because of the water waste. Between my pond, gardens and 5 tanks I use a lot of water. I'm living in drought area and will not run water down the sink to empty my tank. I use a gravel vac to siphon into a 55 gallon plastic drum on a furniture dolly, then roll it to the door and pump it into my garden. I'm 62 and got tired of the 5 gallon bucket and 50% weekly WC on a 92 gallon. It's a long way to the top rim!
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 08:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
I've had 5 pythons in the past, 3 reticulated one Burmese and 1 ball.......

I won't have one strictly because of the water waste. Between my pond, gardens and 5 tanks I use a lot of water. I'm living in drought area and will not run water down the sink to empty my tank. I use a gravel vac to siphon into a 55 gallon plastic drum on a furniture dolly, then roll it to the door and pump it into my garden. I'm 62 and got tired of the 5 gallon bucket and 50% weekly WC on a 92 gallon. It's a long way to the top rim!
Their is no water wasted once the siphon starts turn the water off and gravity does the rest...
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 08:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

The Python concept saves me 90% of the time I used to spend draining into a bucket and then refilling. I built my own using a water bed drain/fill adapter and garden hose, such as what @lksdrinker suggested.

My utility room is about 50 feet from my tank and the sink has a GHT. I use a quick-connect hose adapter to pop the hose on and off the water bed adapter to empty the tank. Then, move the quick-connect hose end onto a hose coming off a cheap submersible pump that is placed in a 15 gallon plastic water barrel (Amazon) that sits on a dolly. The day before, I fill the barrel up with RO/DI water and put a cheap aquarium heater in it so the temp matches the tank water.

As I said, my utility sink has a GHT, so it's easy for me. I've often wondered if the attachment end of something like this:
https://smile.amazon.com/Sink-Spray-...6XQ2PB2BSFX6X8 would work to save attachment time. Has anyone tried it?
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 03:54 AM
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)
I use the Aqueon version for tanks that are lower than my sink. Sometimes. After a few times using it the threaded part the hose hooks up to broke so I had to use a threaded cpvc fitting that also had a washer in it then pipe tape to stop the final leaks.

Below is what I use on my house tanks and the 90 and 75 in the fish house. The piece on the left fits the faucet. Hose goes onto the fitting out the side. Turn the valve off to fill the hose then turn it "on" to siphon. Faucet can now be turned off and let physics do the rest. If you turn thee valve at the other end of the hose off you can usually move that end between tanks without losing siphon.

To fill leave the valve at the faucet fitting on and adjust temp. Turn it off to fill the tank.

There is a perforated pipe that fits into the elbow but it fell into the tank when I grabbed these.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DrainValve.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	850425  

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 02:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogy262 View Post
Their is no water wasted once the siphon starts turn the water off and gravity does the rest...
Thanks for the info. I've never used one and I've been under a misconception the whole time how they work. I guess that makes sense that as long as the outlet is low enough it would start a siphon. I always thought you kept the water running like a waterbed drain I had years ago. I'm going to have to re-evaluate them.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 02:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
Thanks for the info. I've never used one and I've been under a misconception the whole time how they work. I guess that makes sense that as long as the outlet is low enough it would start a siphon. I always thought you kept the water running like a waterbed drain I had years ago. I'm going to have to re-evaluate them.
Hi Kubla,yea I run mine from my tanks to bathroom sink which is only about a foot lower than the tanks and once the siphon starts it keeps going, the lower the faucet like a bathtub the faster it drains and for a 71 yr. old it is a dream .
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 03:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Depending on where your sink and aquarium are, especially it they're separated by a distance, the Python system can make it a lot easier for water changes.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 04:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
When draining, I use the python as a regular siphon and have it drain out a door. Then hook it up to the sink just for filling.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode