Reactor Newb Has a Q - Flow Rate? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By stankyleg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Reactor Newb Has a Q - Flow Rate?

Does the Cerges Reactor, or CO2 reactors in general, restrict the flow rate of a canister filter?

I'm new to the hobby and setting up my first tank. I made a point to buy a higher GPH canister filter with 565GPH (SunSun 304B) on a 55 gallon tank. Knowing that 565GPH will likely never actually happen when it's all setup, I still want to keep as much of the flow rate intact as I can and limit restrictions.

When I look at reactors my first thought is pressure build-up and flow restriction. Is this something I should consider when building a reactor? Perhaps the answer is that higher GPH flow rate warrants higher volume CO2 reactor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 04:54 PM
Planted Member

yes reactors will restrict flow rate, I'm using a sump and before I installed my Cerges reactor I had to turn my return pump all the way to the lowest setting 397gph. After I installed my reactor the flow was severly restricted so I turned it all the way to the highest setting 793GPH. I suggest getting another canister filter and not put any media in there and use that to drive the reactor if you want a high flow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmantis View Post
yes reactors will restrict flow rate, I'm using a sump and before I installed my Cerges reactor I had to turn my return pump all the way to the lowest setting 397gph. After I installed my reactor the flow was severly restricted so I turned it all the way to the highest setting 793GPH. I suggest getting another canister filter and not put any media in there and use that to drive the reactor if you want a high flow.
@coldmantis - oh! That makes sense, I don't know why I never thought of running the CO2 and the reactor separate from the filter.

Instead of getting another canister filter, would it be possible to power the reactor with a cheap water pump on a separate in/outflow?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 02:14 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stankyleg View Post
Instead of getting another canister filter, would it be possible to power the reactor with a cheap water pump on a separate in/outflow?
Of course, but with a cheap pump, power cord, and intake/outflow as decorations.

I personally would not worry about the loss of flow due to the reactor. In our hobby, the flow translates into current, coming out of a 3/4" pipe (unless you use a rain bar). In practice, IMHO, the plants will be parallel with substrate before you run out of 600 gph.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for your replies.

I ended up getting this - http://a.co/cJ23R7J. And I got this http://a.co/e4lqVqn and ripped out both filters (there's a paper-thin one at the base). I put on two straight barb adapters from Ace. I drilled a hole on the top of the lid and used RTV silicone to secure in a tiny 1/8 barb used in drip irrigation systems. Actually I found the DIY irrigation system section of hardware stores (Rainbird) to have the most useful parts as far as finding small sized adapters with barbs.

I did end up going in-line of the main filter's output line. I tested it out and it's working perfectly with little to no affect on my flow rate. I wish I could post a pic but it looks like this forum doesn't have that capability.

Thanks again!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 02:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

nice! I sure would love to see a photo. use taptalk I find it so easy for adding pic..

I am making a DIY reactor as well I went with a heavy duty housing with the pressure release valve. some say it was very helpful. but I like the idea of the filter media holder I just might have to give that a try if PVC does not work out for some reason...

cheers
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 03:19 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Not that you would "want" to go to this much trouble, but this is what I built.

The advantage to this system is it allows a variable amount of water to bypass the reactor. My experience with this setup has shown that I only need a certian amount of water flow thru the reactor to fully dissolve the co2. For arguments sake, lets say I need around 100 gph thru the reactor to avoid getting a large co2 bubble in the top of the reactor. Coldmantis above stated he was running 397 gph before he installed his reactor. So basically 1/4 of his pre-reactor flow would need to go thru the reactor and 3/4 of the flow could simply go around it.
Without the by-pass he would direct all of the flow thru the reactor. If the whole house filter housing had 3/8" holes in the actual filter head (typical of many), than he would need to turn the flow (and thus the pressure) of his return pump up to make up for the flow restriction.

If your whole house filter housing had 1/2" holes or larger, and you had a canister filter rated at say 300gph you may not notice any difference by adding a cerges reactor.

An advantage of the Rex Griggs reactor is you can design the in flow/out flow to what ever size suits your individual setup. Hope this helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
Not that you would "want" to go to this much trouble, but this is what I built.

The advantage to this system is it allows a variable amount of water to bypass the reactor. My experience with this setup has shown that I only need a certian amount of water flow thru the reactor to fully dissolve the co2. For arguments sake, lets say I need around 100 gph thru the reactor to avoid getting a large co2 bubble in the top of the reactor. Coldmantis above stated he was running 397 gph before he installed his reactor. So basically 1/4 of his pre-reactor flow would need to go thru the reactor and 3/4 of the flow could simply go around it.
Without the by-pass he would direct all of the flow thru the reactor. If the whole house filter housing had 3/8" holes in the actual filter head (typical of many), than he would need to turn the flow (and thus the pressure) of his return pump up to make up for the flow restriction.

If your whole house filter housing had 1/2" holes or larger, and you had a canister filter rated at say 300gph you may not notice any difference by adding a cerges reactor.

An advantage of the Rex Griggs reactor is you can design the in flow/out flow to what ever size suits your individual setup. Hope this helps.
Thanks Immortal. That is really good info, I will refer back to for future tank setups. Cerges seemed easy for a newb so I went with it. (However, I'm still having issues with leaks) but the Rex Griggs style looks like a good way to go too.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Immortal1 and Immortal1 like this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by underH20garden View Post
nice! I sure would love to see a photo. use taptalk I find it so easy for adding pic..

I am making a DIY reactor as well I went with a heavy duty housing with the pressure release valve. some say it was very helpful. but I like the idea of the filter media holder I just might have to give that a try if PVC does not work out for some reason...

cheers
Ok I have Tapatalk now. Thanks for the tip. Here are some pics...

Pic 1- (broken) cerges reactor
Pic 2 - close-up of failing part (top co2 hole)
Pic 3 - my new 55 gal setup (not running due to broken cerges)
Pic 4 - my first aquarium. 5 gallon. (I hate these mollies but they helped cycle my tank and are indestructible.)
Pic 5 - the drip-irrigation barb adapter I on top of cerges reactor. (I thought I was brilliant)

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode