Stand Suggestions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Stand Suggestions

I just bought a 20 long at the dollar a gallon sale at Petco, standard dimensions - 30 1/4L x 12 1/2W x 12 3/4H.

Are there any pieces of Ikea or similar furniture that would work well as a stand for this tank?

My tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 12:16 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I use a Kallax Shelf Unit Article Number : 202.758.14

I added a piece of plywood in the back for support, also added L brackets in the back corners for extra security.

Removed the Shelves and made an "ADA" style door.

Tank on top is a 28g bowfront goldfish tank for my wife, I threw in plants in pots that I no longer want. The bottom has a 20g high sump.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Urban-St...-302878985-_-N

This seems like a possible candidate. Im concerned however because i dont know how much weight itll support, and I know my tank will weigh around 160 pounds, at least.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmantis View Post
I use a Kallax Shelf Unit Article Number : 202.758.14
Do you remember how much it was rated for?

My tanks:

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 12:38 AM
Planted Member

No clue, but it's been in use for at least 4 years with different aquariums on top all bigger than a 20g. I know when I saw it at ikea I convince my wife to sit on it with me to do a suicide test lol.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
No clue, but it's been in use for at least 4 years with different aquariums on top all bigger than a 20g. I know when I saw it at ikea I convince my wife to sit on it with me to do a suicide test lol.
I'm trying to figure out how you customized the Kallax unit. The one that I'm seeing online is quite a bit different from the one you have.. wonder if its changed in the past few years.

KALLAX Shelf unit - white - IKEA

My tanks:

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 02:40 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbachmann View Post
I'm trying to figure out how you customized the Kallax unit. The one that I'm seeing online is quite a bit different from the one you have.. wonder if its changed in the past few years.

KALLAX Shelf unit - white - IKEA
That's exactly what I have, I only did four things. When I first replied to your post the first pic you can see I put a piece of plywood in the back and added 4 L brackets on all for corners in the back. And of course I removed the cross shelves. Then I made the front door myself, but the frame is exactly the same as the ikea link.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
That's exactly what I have, I only did four things. When I first replied to your post the first pic you can see I put a piece of plywood in the back and added 4 L brackets on all for corners in the back. And of course I removed the cross shelves. Then I made the front door myself, but the frame is exactly the same as the ikea link.
Ok thanks. Looking at it seemed like yours had a lip of some kind on the front.

Were the shelves easy to remove? It looks like they came out pretty cleanly, which is great. I might consider leaving them in becuase I wont be using a massive wet dry sump like you.

Also how did you paint the front door? it came out great!

My tanks:

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 03:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Pardon the mess and the mere 5 gallon tank, but this Ikea piece would hold a 20 long and it's nice having the drawers and sliding glass door to hide all the tank equipment (except my co2 and regulator, it's too tall to fit in in the area behind the glass ) I've been meaning to tuck it behind the stand, but always forget to nudge it back there. It's in the tv/audio section of Ikea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1515899150652591914422_1515899168835.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	819242  

My tank journal.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 04:19 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbachmann View Post
Ok thanks. Looking at it seemed like yours had a lip of some kind on the front.

Were the shelves easy to remove? It looks like they came out pretty cleanly, which is great. I might consider leaving them in becuase I wont be using a massive wet dry sump like you.

Also how did you paint the front door? it came out great!
Ya the shelves just slides out I think it's been a few years so I don't really remember. As for the lip and door I got lazy and just went to home depot and bought some white laminate wood. All I had to do was measure and cut it with my table saw and install the hinges for the door and a magnet to hold the door in place. As for the sump it's not a wet dry, I only make sumps and overflow boxes/drains that are dead silent and co2 friendly. A wet dry will make a lot of noise, my setup is quieter then any filter you will ever use.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 02:55 AM

I really had a tough time with deciding on what to do for a stand. I went with this. Bought two for a 46 gallon bow front SeaClear. The tank is a pinch wider, but I am not concerned with the < 1" variance.

Picked them up for $117 each. Not exactly cheap but will provide plenty enough space underneath.

Here's a link. These run ~$125 or so normally.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode