Question about glass CO2 diffuser - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question about glass CO2 diffuser

I just set up a planted tank after a two year absence from the hobby. I wanted to go all out on the CO2 this time, so I got a kit from Foster & Smith. It came with a glass diffuser. My question is: When I was fiddling with the bubble rate and turned it up, the diffuser started fizzing like mad. Now that I've got it down to about 1 bubble/second, it doesn't fizz at all. Is this normal? Thanks for any help.

C2C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 12:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
It's normal. And just a word of advice. Sell the diffuser on EBay and build a reactor.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 02:48 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Welcome to the board C2C! We'll do all we can to answer your questions and help you out!

The fizzing is normal, that is how a diffuser works.

Rex is correct about the CO2 reactor. It is going to be more efficient and economical to run a reactor as opposed to a diffuser.

Where in PA are you?

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 05:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I don't know guys. I dug up my old glass diffuser and it is just as effecient as my external reactor. When it comes to numbers I can get the same CO2 levels by either method and with about the same bubble count.

Maybe my external reactor is worth crap? I honestly don't think so.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 09:32 PM
Planted Member

There seems to be some confusion here about the definition of "reactor" and "diffuser".

As I understand it, a reactor is where the CO2 gas is generated in a DIY system, through the chemical interaction of the yeast and sugar. Logically, it is an airtight container with a tube coming out of it, for the CO2 to escape.

A diffuser is a device that mixes the CO2 gas with the aquarium water. Examples are airstones, ceramic gizmos, and the Hagen ladder.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the input. I was pretty sure up front that a reactor would be more efficient than the diffuser, but I didn't have a good way to plumb it in with the filter I have now (HOT Magnum). I guess I could, now that I think about it. At any rate, now I'm curious. Is a reactor really that much better than a diffuser?

As to the geography question, I live near Pittsburgh.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 02:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
To me a reactor is a method to mix the gas and water. A generator is where you produce the CO2 via the conversion of sugar.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 04:04 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Use what you like, don't feel like you HAVE to use a reactor. A lot of people use reactors, but not everyone. I use a glass diffuser and I don't have any problems maintaining my co2 levels. I also like the look of the diffuser. There are some bad diffusers however. I have seen some that don't make small bubbles and that is not good. I have a small tank and for me a diffuser is more convenient, there are pros and cons to both methods...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 04:51 AM

Takashi Amano uses diffusers with excellent results....
http://www.aquaticquotient.com/phpbb...ic.php?t=18897
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 05:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
The diffuser you got from Dr. F&S - is it an Eheim, Boyu, or something else...? I've read some good reports on the Eheim diffuser. A member of this forum uses one and actually achieved higher efficiency over his external reactor.

There are pros and cons like mentioned between an external reactor vs. diffuser. But the point that any diffuser is lacking in efficiency to external reactors IMHO is a stigma. Some high quality diffusers work well. I also believe in-tank currents play a big role on a diffusers efficiency.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode