fluval flex - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
fluval flex

Can somebody direct me to any useful posts about the Fluval Vlex? I just got a 15g for Christmas and would like to learn more about it. Specifically about lighting and stuff like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 03:06 PM
Algae Grower

If you search on youtube for Fluval flex lighting you will see a pretty cool video with some options for you. That tank looks really great too.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 03:10 PM
Planted Member

Pecktec on YT has great videos on the Flex.

Last edited by Ravynn; 12-28-2017 at 03:11 PM. Reason: spelling

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Honestly I'm trying to figure out what the best combo in the lighting is. I know there are posts about various lighting systems and their effectiveness. I've seen the video you speak of and he shows how the remote and the lights work, but I'm more concerned about the most effective lighting combination for plant growth in relevance to the rgb lighting. I even had someone tell me they have the light cycle feature on while the white light is on, which can't happen because they are separate functions. I'm a member of the Fluval Flex Enthusiast page on FB, but nobody there has a breakdown of the numbers and science in the lighting effectiveness.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 11:46 PM
Algae Grower

I have the 9 Gallon version. The stock lighting isn't strong, but it does support plant life. I have nice s repens, ludwigia, crypts, buce, fern, and anubias growing. Granted these are low level light plants.

FLEX Aquarium Kit, 15 US Gal (57 L) | 15006 | Aquariums &[censored]Furniture | Fluval

Those are the technical specs of the fluval flex 15. Just keep on the white lights for growth. It is supposedly 7500K light.

37 Gallon - Making steady progress - Low Tech
Fluval Flex 9g - Planted - Low Tech
Fluval Flex 15G - New - Low Tech

Give me all the buce
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok, I understand what the white light is good for, that is not my issue. I know that plants grow better under different colors of lighting, which is why some of the best led lighting for plants adds colored led. Plants absorb red and blue light, reflecting green light. My Beamswork on my 20 gal has rgb to assist with plant growth, but it can't be adjusted, just has the lights pre-set. I'm asking about possible setting for the rgb lights in addition to the white lights.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 02:14 PM
Planted Member

Are you looking to have multiple colors on at once? I don't think it's possible. Only 1 RGB color and the white lights on at the same time.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

You are correct, with the red, green and blue lights you can only have 1, but there are sub colors, different oranges, yellows, blue greens and purples that mix the colors at different intensities. So you can light up a combination of colors if you know which one would be better. Like should you have one more red than blue find a lighter color of purple.
Cally95 and Cally95 like this.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 03:17 PM
Algae Grower

I have this tank but the lights are a bit odd. I just set mine to all white and after reading this I added Red. I would think you could do all 3 (RGB) but it looks like you canít, is that right??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 04:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Common ratios are like 4R:1B for vegitative growth though, to be honest different wavelengths than you probably have..well for red at least.
Royal blue/ deep red vs "blue" / "red"
Don't actually know if it makes much of a difference though.

Suggest picking a "color" you like for the most part.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"

Last edited by jeffkrol; 12-30-2017 at 04:17 PM. Reason: edit
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 04:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
https://youtu.be/L1j4NxZUx5Y

A forum user's post count is like watts/gallon. It doesn't tell you anything about the quality of what they're giving.
Do it then talk, nah do it nah talk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cally95 View Post
I have this tank but the lights are a bit odd. I just set mine to all white and after reading this I added Red. I would think you could do all 3 (RGB) but it looks like you canít, is that right??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is correct, you can only do 1 of the 3. However, all those other colors underneath are combinations of RGB. So I guess if you want to have a combo that has a good red with some blue would be a light colored purple because it has more red than blue and no green. I don't know why they have green, doesn't do much for plants.
Cally95 and Cally95 like this.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 06:30 PM
Planted Member

I was just reading up more about this and magenta is the color that is used for house plants which is red/blue. There is a magenta setting on the flex. Red for leaf growth and blue for stem growth, i'm pretty sure. I wonder if it would be good to have 100% magenta and a certain % for white?
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravynn View Post
I was just reading up more about this and magenta is the color that is used for house plants which is red/blue. There is a magenta setting on the flex. Red for leaf growth and blue for stem growth, i'm pretty sure. I wonder if it would be good to have 100% magenta and a certain % for white?
Hey, that is actually very useful information. I'll probably do 100% for both considering it's a low/medium light set.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 01:00 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
There is a button on the light controller that cycles through all the different colors while the white is on steady. Does cycling through the multi colors do any good?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode